PDA

View Full Version : Comic, Manga, whichever

CoriaIsDaBest
10-17-2004, 03:47 PM
I haven't been around much. I've been very busy in something I actually enjoy :eek: :p Um, I was joking with some of my friends about starting a comic book ja, and they took me seriously :rolleyes: But anywho, I decided to go along with it and I've been at it for 5 weeks today. I like to call it a "manga" because "comic" doesn't seem to fit. Anyway, it's called "El Mago!". I would like some crit from artists who do this kind of stuff :) Have a look see.
El Mago (http://www.geocities.com/mad_love_for_mago/read.html)
Thanks very much :D

TedDawson
10-18-2004, 01:52 PM
I think you've got a real talent with pacing and dialogue. I could see you get into a groove as you went along with these episodes. Good stuff.

You might experiment some with different camera angles, and see about using more solid blacks as opposed to shading, at least initially. Many cartoonists will rough out a page loosely on a separate piece of paper first, to see how they're going to lay out the panels and place the word balloons.

coolray
10-18-2004, 03:08 PM
CoriaIsDaBest

Thanks for sharing! I took a quick look, wanna go for a longer peek later, but I liked what I saw right off the bat. Nice simple style. I think you are on the right track.

What are you using to do the final renderings? Do you have a completed series in mind, or are you going for a long "soap opera" kinda thing. Something that never ends. I think this will be a characture that we will love to follow along with.

Good luck!

Terry

CoriaIsDaBest
10-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Ted and Coolray :D

Coolray: At first I used a felt-tip pen for the final rendering but now I use a ZIG Millinium pen. And a #3 sable brush and ink for large dark areas. I used a gray colored pencil for the shading.
I don't really have a whole series planned out but I'm doing seperate "issues", (I guess you could call them that). So I just plan them like that :)

Thanks for the suggestions Ted :D I'll definately work on trying more angles :)

TedDawson
10-18-2004, 06:17 PM
This is great for anyone who wants to see a genius at work:

Jeff Smith's Drawing Board (http://www.boneville.com/cartoonbooks/drawingboard/)

designbyjen
10-18-2004, 10:58 PM
this is a lot of fun ;) i've never attempted anything like this before so i'm not a worthy crit-er (ha ha). i think to try scanning & doing gradients & such on the computer would bump this up a notch...but dependant if you have access to a program w/ enough versatility. some of them have good texture fills & patterns too...but that might totally change the look you're going for.
your characters are look'in consistant...& you really had my attention in the last one (the story).
a good niche market w/ tennis...if for a tennis audience...you could really have fun making some humor where a non-tennis educated person wouldn't 'get it'.
good stuff...keep it up :cool:
~~~jen

CoriaIsDaBest
11-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks everybody :) Been working with this for 6 weeks now. I finished one issue. I started a new one. I think I'm doing better now that I kinda know what I'm doing. You can see if you want. El Mago! (http://www.geocities.com/mad_love_for_mago/read.html)

Thanks very much for looking :wave:

Fylia
11-19-2004, 01:03 AM
woohoo...
This is fun!
I was laughing out loud when E.E. explained his plans to "Ruin Journalism forever" and the magical racquet blocket him...

When I saw your first page, I was a little sceptical, but now I've seen the complete story: I love it!

Do you write the story in advance?
Or do you make up the progress of the story as you go along?

I'd love to see how it all continues! Keep it going....

CoriaIsDaBest
11-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks!!!

I used to think of, then write the story in advance. But now I concentrate more on the art and it's getting harder every week for me to get it finished. I dunno what to do. I'm supposed to post the next episode tomorrow and I'm not even finished with all the frames yet. I know what I WANT to do, it just, I don't know how to do it or something. Anyway, I'll make it. Glad you enjoy it :D