PDA

View Full Version : Three new digital abstracts. Cosmos.

ArtistJensen
10-17-2004, 06:32 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/12882-Abstract_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/12882-Abstract_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/12882-Abstract_3.jpg

These are manipulated digital photos of acrylic paintings I've done.
The digital images are manipulated in many different ways.
No 3 is a digital abstract painting that has been manipulated.

Any C & C are welcome.

ArtistJensen
10-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Here's another one. No photomanipulation or natural media in this. Pure digital painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/12882-Cosmos_1.jpg

Tamana
10-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Interesting concepts & designs. Colorplay. Do you plan on redoing in paint? Or, did Amanda's departure from the digi-realm for Acrylics leave an opening for you? ;)

wiscojaydub
10-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Tamana explain to me why you look down at digital paintings? Artistjensens digitals are as much art as your art is....in fact since you use the internet to post your paintings so you can get FEEDBACK up or down. Your stuff is digital as much as mines is.... after all we have to take your word for it that you actually did it. I'll be very blunt with you.. i am still a newbie and i am sold on using the digis as opposed to the OLD forms..man ..no muss ..no fuss.. i guess i am an adult who know's his free time is limited.... so why in Gods Green Earth.. would i or artistjensen would want to re-do a good digi on real canvas for? So we can grovel at your feet? Please.. i have better things to do with my free time..like do more digis..and above all get better at it. :evil: jaydub :p

Tamana
10-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Wisco, you want to explain to me why you think I look down on digis? I believe I've been JUST as supportive of the digitals in here as anyone. Digi has been in here FAR LONGER THAN YOU HAVE. Ask Bisco. I would suggest in the future you ask for clarification prior to assumption of what the hell someone's talking about. You know, I'm beginning to see why people are leaving this forum. I'm not so certain I'm not far behind them.

And THAT'S being blunt with you.

wiscojaydub
10-17-2004, 11:41 AM
What!! Now i am somehow responsible for people leaving this site... how can that be... this is the first time i have been told of this..why haven't i been advised that my behaviour has been detrimental to this site sooner! After all you are ten thousand plus poster and i am just a newbie. This contemporary abstract art forum is all inclusive. I'll put this in a nut shell you do one of your paintings and then have someone say put it in digital too..see how you feel.jaydub

Michael-Ann
10-17-2004, 11:49 AM
... I'll put this in a nut shell you do one of your paintings and then have someone say put it in digital too..see how you feel.jaydub

I just had to say that I think perhaps a wee bit of a misunderstanding is at hand... Many people at WC that I talk to use digi to plan out paintings/or collages/or sculptures/whatever. It would be natural from my point of view to assume that might happen again. Have you encountered a lot of bashing over using the digital medium?

On another note, a few of the folks (self included) had some interesting exchanges in OC months ago passing digitals back and forth putting our own spin on them it was quite fun to see what peeps would come back with.

Michael-Ann
10-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Here's another one. No photomanipulation or natural media in this. Pure digital painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/12882-Cosmos_1.jpg

'pologize fer stealing away comments with your werks...which are quite nice by the way :D I am most fond of this one for it's majestic air - like cathedral arches and spiritual aura-like feeling.

Tamana
10-17-2004, 12:01 PM
What!! Now i am somehow responsible for people leaving this site... how can that be... this is the first time i have been told of this..why haven't i been advised that my behaviour has been detrimental to this site sooner! After all you are ten thousand plus poster and i am just a newbie. This contemporary abstract art forum is all inclusive. I'll put this in a nut shell you do one of your paintings and then have someone say put it in digital too..see how you feel.jaydub

I didn't say YOU were responsible for others leaving - you need to stop assuming what people mean, Wisco. It's not healthy. But this type of behaviour IS responsible. Frankly, what I say to anyone BUT YOU is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I am sure that Jensen is perfectly capable of discussing something I may say that disturbs him. Stop playing the "i am just a newbie" crap with me. THAT doesn't excuse your behaviour regarding accusing me of something I didn't do, which was (BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POINT) putting down digis. You're NOT the damn victim here. You're the unjust accuser.

Interesting concepts & designs. Colorplay. Do you plan on redoing in paint? Or, did Amanda's departure from the digi-realm for Acrylics leave an opening for you?

I do NOT see how you determined I was putting digitals down with the statement regarding such as "interesting" regarding "concepts" "designs" and "colorplay". The final sentence was a JOKE. You know -- HAHAHAHAAHAHAH?!

Again, you would be better served to ASK FOR CLARIFICATION vs. assumption regarding someone's intent. How about next time simply asking what the hell I meant. God this is stupid.

MountainSong
10-17-2004, 08:42 PM
VikingJensen - these are lovely...you have a good sense of composition and color usage, the depth is there too. I was particularly struck by #2 and the last one - the cathedral arches-ish piece. The last one, in fact, is highly developed IMHO.
I've thought about taking the piece I just posted into Photoshop to try and figure out what was wrong in the composition - but chickened out at the last minute because I was afraid i would do something digitally that couldn't be reproduced on the canvas. But Iím still keeping that option open - it could be a very effective tool.
These are really great Aage. Zero drying time - and your youngest can't play in the paint!! :D

ArtistJensen
10-18-2004, 03:33 AM
Interesting concepts & designs. Colorplay. Do you plan on redoing in paint? Or, did Amanda's departure from the digi-realm for Acrylics leave an opening for you? ;)

I notice that your question started an angry debate ragarding digital media. I did not get offended by your question. Wisco has strong opinions about the digital medium, and he has the right to have that. I myself has been a traditional painter in oil and acrylics for years. You know and I know that I paint in those traditional media. So on that background I don't feel that your question is improper. To give you an answer. I had no plans with those digital pieces as I made them. I'm just trying out the different possibilitites in digital media. I'm trying many different programs and methods to see what I can come up with. It's a learning prosess. It was wiscojaydub that kicked me off into breaking the borders of the digital media. I'm not really new to digital media though. Not at all. What's new to me is the way I'm using it now. Pushing the borders, trying to use the tools in a more creative way. I started my artistic voyage as an amateur photographer. Before I started painting on a serious level. At the age of 15 I got my first SLR camera, and I've bought a lot of lenses and equipment trough the years. I had my own darkroom at home, and I participated in shows and competetions. I worked mainly in B&W and did a lot of experiments in the darkroom. I still have the darkroom equipment, but when the digital photo and photoediting software became common the way into digital photo was short. I still do a lot of photographing side by side with the painting.

So far I've used photoediting software as a modern version of my darkrooom. When I first tryed Adobe Photoshop I felt comfortable with that, because the developers had used terms from the darkroom business. Digital painting (no photo) was quite new to me until wiscodayjub pushed me off. This experimenting have lead to a lot of fun, but also a lot of serious work. I have found new ideas, possibilities. I'm staring to realize that digital is really a genuine media in its own rigth. When I started this I thought of it only as a sketch book. A tool for working out ideas. I've accepted digital photo as not beeing less valuable than the pieces made in the darkroom. Why not the same for all kinds of digital media. I can do things in the digital world that is very difficult, and maybe even impossible to do in traditional media. And I've realized that the photos can be manipulated much farther into a much more creative piece. I see a lot of possibilities. Most of the painting software, and photoediting software is trying to mimic traditional media. You can make a photo look like a traditional oilpainting or watercolor by the help of filters/effects. And you can paint with tools that mimics the brushes, chalk and whatever traditinal media. I'm not really sure if I see the point in that. I'm staring to see digital as a genuine media with it's own tools and possibilities. Why does it have to look like oil or watercolor? Why can't it just look like DIGITAL?

Photography has become an accepted artform, digital or traditional doesn't matter. And if the photo is not manipulated it's impossible to tell whether it is digital or not. Digital painting, abstract digital seems to be less accepted amongst the public. At least that is the case here in Norway. Manipulated photo is acceptable, but not pure "digital painting". But this is changing. Younger people is much more open to those new medias.

The problem with all digital media, photo or painting is to get a framed work of art on the wall. A work that lasts more than a couple of years. Today we have the giclee printing method. So gicleeprinted digital works may very well be a valuable media no less than lithography or whatever traditional print method. I'm thinking that I maybe will continue doing some pure digital works and get them gicleeprinted. I see no point in copying them in paint really. I will not stop painting in oils, acrylic and watercolor. I like doing that, and I owe wisco the credit for opening a new world to me. But I don't agree with his attitude to the traditional media. My opinion is that digital media and the traditional media are different medias with different characteristics and possibilities. And I want to do both. I photograph, I paint acrylics, I paint oils, I paint watercolors, I draw in pencil and chalk and charcoal, why not do digitals as well. But wisco I will not throw my brushes and knifes away. The traditional media is still giving me a lot of pleasure, whether you like it or not.

Peeeww....Is it possible to program this forum to say STOP - you have said enough!!!!!!

ArtistJensen
10-18-2004, 03:58 AM
VikingJensen - these are lovely...you have a good sense of composition and color usage, the depth is there too. I was particularly struck by #2 and the last one - the cathedral arches-ish piece. The last one, in fact, is highly developed IMHO.
I've thought about taking the piece I just posted into Photoshop to try and figure out what was wrong in the composition - but chickened out at the last minute because I was afraid i would do something digitally that couldn't be reproduced on the canvas. But Iím still keeping that option open - it could be a very effective tool.
These are really great Aage. Zero drying time - and your youngest can't play in the paint!! :D

Thank's for your kind words Mountain. I'm starting to really enjoy digital media. But as said above I'm not quitting sniffing terpentine. I would like to try giclee when I'm feeling ready for it. I can of course drag my laptop to the gallery and show my pieces on screen. But it's not easy to sell them, since I would like to keep the laptop myself. I need a lot more of megapixels in the images to giclee print though. Time will show what I do. I suppose I will never stop doing the traditional painting stuff though. Why should I. Many artists work in oil, acrylics and do graphic prints as well to survive. Giclee is the modern worlds answer to that.

The last piece (cathedral arches) is my favour as well. That's why i posted it as an aftertought. That piece is done with more hard work and thought. A different technique than the 3 first pieces. I think I'm going to work further on this idea. I like to have some kind of spirit in my pictures. Dark pictures has it's place in the artworld, and I can appreciate them as well. But I like to show the world spirit, hope, light, soul, Gods apperance. Life may seem hopeless from time to time, but I think there is hope afterall. That is what I want to tell. Other artists tell their stories, I tell mine.

ArtistJensen
10-18-2004, 04:11 AM
'pologize fer stealing away comments with your werks...which are quite nice by the way :D I am most fond of this one for it's majestic air - like cathedral arches and spiritual aura-like feeling.

Thank's for your words Michael-Ann.

pearlgirl
10-18-2004, 04:57 AM
Hey Viking...I liked no 3 very much in this series. I can see that you have been working hard at your digital stuff in order to express yourself. Way to go and I look forward to where you will take it.

AriadneArts
10-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Sorry I missed this thread yesterday.

Just a reminder that this is a general "abstract/contemporary" forum. ALL media are acceptable and all media have their place.

I've found that the written word is soooooo easily misinterpreted here on the net. We've got no gestures, facial expressions, tones of voice, etc., to go along with the words. The smiley faces are meant to help fill that void, but, of course, can't do more than just give an idea. So it's easy to jump to conclusions. My suggestion would be to give a person the benefit of the doubt and not assume that there's an attack going on. Many of us have strong opinions regarding our chosen art mediums, but the private message system is a great way to clarify statements that one may find questionable. Much better than impulsive reactions in the public forum, that one may regret later.

Above all, this is a community and is meant for creativity, learning and FUN. Being human, sometimes when we have a "bad hair day" we forget this. Hence, the gentle reminder.

I'd hate to see anyone of you wonderfully talented artists leave the site over something so small as a misunderstanding.

AriadneArts
10-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Aage, I applaud your spirit of exploration and that you're so ready and willing to push the envelope. I adore the first one, especially. It takes my breath away. The sweeping cursory lines and gorgeous colors are marvelous. I like all three of the manips done from your paintings. But then, the "pure" manip. Wow! I don't even want to think about what it takes to learn how to do that. Well done!

I so relate to your comments :You can make a photo look like a traditional oilpainting or watercolor by the help of filters/effects. And you can paint with tools that mimics the brushes, chalk and whatever traditinal media. I'm not really sure if I see the point in that. I'm staring to see digital as a genuine media with it's own tools and possibilities. Why does it have to look like oil or watercolor? Why can't it just look like DIGITAL?

Since I'm a painter as well as a photographer, I was puzzled about that too. If you want a watercolor why not just paint a watercolor using your photo as a reference? So, initially, I was not at all interested in the photo manipulations forum. But then I found that even the mimicking of traditional media has it's place. One photographer friend took some photos that weren't quite sharp and did some digi painting manips with them and made them into gorgeous Christmas cards! Much better to "recycle" them than to throw them away, so now I look at that a little differently, too.

I bought a wacom tablet basically for digi darkroom use, but tried my hand at drawing with it, too. Man, anyone who tries that would never say it doesn't take skill and talent to do. So I'm keeping an open mind on the subject myself. :D

ArtistJensen
10-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Aage, I applaud your spirit of exploration and that you're so ready and willing to push the envelope. I adore the first one, especially. It takes my breath away. The sweeping cursory lines and gorgeous colors are marvelous. I like all three of the manips done from your paintings. But then, the "pure" manip. Wow! I don't even want to think about what it takes to learn how to do that. Well done!

I so relate to your comments :

Since I'm a painter as well as a photographer, I was puzzled about that too. If you want a watercolor why not just paint a watercolor using your photo as a reference? So, initially, I was not at all interested in the photo manipulations forum. But then I found that even the mimicking of traditional media has it's place. One photographer friend took some photos that weren't quite sharp and did some digi painting manips with them and made them into gorgeous Christmas cards! Much better to "recycle" them than to throw them away, so now I look at that a little differently, too.

I bought a wacom tablet basically for digi darkroom use, but tried my hand at drawing with it, too. Man, anyone who tries that would never say it doesn't take skill and talent to do. So I'm keeping an open mind on the subject myself. :D
Thank's for your comments and for filling in. I see your point about recycling bad photographs. I've done some of those myself, and the result can be quite stunning.

wiscojaydub
10-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Artistsjensen I am sorry for having an outburst on your thread!!! my fingers were faster than my brain and it came out the way it did i apologize to tamana for jumping on her reply..it won't happen again!Believe me when i say i have the greatest respect for traditional media! Always have and always will. I have no excuse for that outburst. jaydub

Tamana
10-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Thank you, Jaydub. I appreciate that muchly. It takes a real gentleman to apologize. My seemingly lack of enthusiasm probably contributed to your assessment regarding my opinion of the medium. Sometimes we just have tired days where there's not much energy to express..but it in no way means we don't appreciate....

Thank you again.

wiscojaydub
10-18-2004, 11:25 PM
I thank you for accepting my apology..i guess i had like about 3 hours sleep and i was not functioning normally..it is no excuse i know but i will make sure i get enough sleep from now on..thank you again!!1 :) jaydub :wave:

AriadneArts
10-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Artistsjensen I am sorry for having an outburst on your thread!!! my fingers were faster than my brain and it came out the way it did i apologize to tamana for jumping on her reply..it won't happen again!Believe me when i say i have the greatest respect for traditional media! Always have and always will. I have no excuse for that outburst. jaydub

Wisco, these things happen. We're all human, and we don't always have the best days. But bigtime kudos to you. Most people wouldn't bother to apologize. I'm impressed that you did so. Takes a person with character to do that, especially in a public thread. :clap: :clap: :clap:

wiscojaydub
10-19-2004, 01:52 AM
Well when you is a knucklehead like me these kinda things come easy! :) jaydub :wave:

ArtistJensen
10-19-2004, 02:42 AM

Aplogize accepted wisco. I didn't get offended by your outburst, you did actually defend my art from what you felt was an attack. You had your good intention with what you did, I suppose. It just came out bad. I do feel you where unjustice towards Tamana. I have never had the feeling that she is against digital media. And I did not get that impression from her question either. And if she or anyone else should be against digital media or whatever media, they have their right to be so. I think that it is nice that people expresses their honest opinion. We may agree or disagree, but every human should have their freedom of speach and opinion. What I don't think so highly about though is people offending other people because of their opinions or beleives. An honest, serious debate about all issues of life and art is really only of benefit. Debates keeps the society alive and rolling.

But as said we are all human. I can be fool me to when I'm having bad days. IMHO you're a great, funny, gifted guy, and a good friend!

MountainSong
10-19-2004, 03:05 AM
Oh Good!! My buddies have all made up and everyone is happy again! :clap:
Kudo's to all involved for stepping forward and doing the civilized and classy thing. Your all good people! (as made witness by your apologies) :angel: :angel:

wiscojaydub
10-19-2004, 03:22 AM
I tink i am gonna cry...nah! i just had one of those moments.. it ain't gonna happen again...so see ya guys. :) jaydub :wave:

ArtistJensen
10-19-2004, 03:24 AM
:angel: :clap: :wink2: