PDA

View Full Version : WIP Scarecrow

Mystfy
10-17-2004, 04:21 AM
Wanted to do something for the kids, still trying to get the knack of these paints. I am new to this and this is my first effort that wasnt a portrait. The blending is still under construction and I have to add straw, that I am doing in pastel. This is a tutorial from an art magazine. Practice makes perfect lol. Still really new to painting, and would like any ideas and comments to improve. Thankyou for looking

C&C Welcome and appreciated.

Blessings
L*L
Char

Bertoni
10-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Char:
This is fun!! :D I would think the kids will love it!!! Maybe have slightly darker shadow under the hat and a little more definition in the background to pop out the scarecrow even more!! Nice work for someone "new to this"!!! :clap:

gnu
10-19-2004, 03:33 PM
this is so cute! :clap:
Needs more lights and darks on his clothing I feel, they look a little flat..
I love how you've made him 'real'..

Donald_Smith
10-20-2004, 03:02 PM
I don't know if this will help, but I read somewhere that you use warm and cool shades to make something look more 3d. So, you would use warm colors on the light side, and cool colors in the shadows. Not only will the contrast of light to dark make it stand out, but the contrasts of cool to warms. One of the nice things about acrylics is they dry quick so you can add layers or repaint an area if you don't like the way it turns out.

I do think this is a cute subject that the kids will like. Great job for one of your first paintings with acrylics.

Don

Charlie's Mum
10-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Char, this looks good so far.
If you're following an article, does it tell you about the tonal values, and balancing lights and darks? It's the contrast of light/dark which will make him 'come to life' and look 3-dimensional - but I think you're well on the way to doing that!

You'll want to make sure your light areas of the scarecrow are against a dark background, and vice versa - that's counterchange!

The colours are good - you'll want happy colours for children - so just make sure they aren't too bright that they conflict with the subject. :D

HRH Goldie
10-20-2004, 08:59 PM
A good job you've done here :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
It has a stylised look to it - is the ref image in a magazine?

Christine