PDA

View Full Version : "A Trace Of Spring" WIP

Artguy29
10-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I have always enjoyed the Bob Ross paintings but I'm not too fond of his materials, or even oils, for that matter. I was looking through a book of his paintings the other day and came across this one, "A Trace Of Spring." I decided to paint it with acrylics rather than oils. I had to take a slightly different approach since I was not using oils and my acrylics did not really match the colors the painting called for. I'm not quite sure where to go from here; I just started to block in the land and underpaint the water. Comments and critiques are greatly apreciated. This is a small one, 8 1/2"x11" acrylic on canvas. Thanks!

Dave

jonesbf
10-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Take a look at Jerry Yarnell (http://www.yarnellart.com). One of the guys he studied and built his style from is Bob Ross, but he's an acrylic painter.

Charlie's Mum
10-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Dave, don't know much about this painter, tho' his picture is nice!
I'd have thought you could just continue to build up the layers to achieve the tones and style - which seems to be quite smooth?
Why would colours pose such a problem? Do you have a v. limited range?
You could try some transparent overlays...........
........but I'm sure many accomplished painters will be along shortly to offer help!!!!!

Artguy29
10-16-2004, 08:09 PM
I do have a wide range of colors, but Bob Ross pigments are specially made to work with his technique, so the colors are very hard to match. They also tend to differ from other paints of the same name. Thanks for looking.

Dave