PDA

View Full Version : fluffy paint!


Gav
10-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi all

I have a tube of paynes grey acrylic which for some eason seems to be mouldy.

removing the lid the nozzle is full of a white substance which kinda dissapears if you disturb it but grows back over time seems denser now as ive left it for a while.
I wouldnt have thought there is much nutition or organic matter inside a tube of acrylic to support life of anysort, and there is no light either.

Ive not treated it any differently to any of the other tubes and all the rest seem fine, so i'm dying to know what is it, how did it get there, and how do I get rid of it, any ideas?

Thanks

Gav :confused:

Quiet
10-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Yuck!

You have two options that I can see:

Assume the color is contaminated and throw it out.

Go ahead and paint with it. The color may be off now, though, or it may change over time in unexpected ways. However, once the paint dries, it won't grow any more fuzz at least.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into this. I've had pleanty of acrylics dry up, but I've never seen them grow mould!

gnu
10-16-2004, 03:46 PM
it's comtaminated, and I would return to manufacturer or shop if you haven't used it really yet.
I wouldn't use it that's for sure..what a shame..
anything can grow the right organism..even in our hottest thermal pools over here there are organisms that grow.. and we're talking boiling! and under the sea there is bacteria that grows without light too..
Pity..I thought you were going to tell us how to get our paints to look 'fluffy" I would love to know that..:D

Einion
10-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Hi Gav, the polymer emulsions that acrylics are made out of are a good breeding ground for mould spores, the only reason we don't see this more is that acrylics are formulated with fungicides to help prevent it. I've never seen this happen in a tube (maybe the cap got wet?) but I have seen it in paint decanted into film canisters and in mixes stored for long periods in a stay-wet palette.

If you don't want to try returning it I would suggest scooping out the paint near the neck, then cleaning the cap, the threads and inside the neck thoroughly with a mild bleach solution which should kill off any spores.

I wouldnt have thought there is much nutition or organic matter inside a tube of acrylic to support life of anysort, and there is no light either.
Remember, mushrooms grow in the dark :)

Einion

Bertoni
10-16-2004, 04:56 PM
I've seen a whitish mold grow on acrylics that had been laying around for a few weeks on a covered palette. But never in a tube that had been closed. If it were mine I'd want to return it to the store. It does sound as if its contaminated in some way.