PDA

View Full Version : Hooray, Mix n' Match prototype works!

SharonP
10-16-2004, 12:49 PM
I'm in serious triumph right now, I figured out the design for the mix n' match beads and it works great (hooray, hooray!) There's crack in the casing down the side of the top bead because I spent too much time messing around with chickenface, but whattheheck, the design worked!

This one has a chicken head, body & legs on one side and giraffe head, monkey body and ballerina legs on the other, and it spins to make 8 different combos (hooray, hooray!)

Jim the Amazing Hubby/Chef/Photographer took pics this morning - the first two are the front and back, and the next two are a couple variations. This has so much potential... and next month I'm taking Bronwen Heilman's first ever class on encased painted beads, so the mix n' matches will probably show up there, too! *s*

dogsrlove
10-16-2004, 12:56 PM
NO WAY! NO FREAKIN' WAY! Stop, you're killing me! Do you dream about these creatures? Really, they are quite remarkable and wonderful! So now I know "where the wild things are. . .", in SharonP's mind!

Vanessa

Lehcar
10-16-2004, 12:57 PM
That is so cool!!! :clap:

crsann
10-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Hey Sharon, those are tooooo cooool! Oh btw check your pm's I sent you one :p
chrisann

GardenGirl1002
10-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Wow, Sharon, those are so wonderful! So unique and inspired. I want to have your creativity when I grow up :)

WillowMajestic
10-16-2004, 02:10 PM
WOW! Smashing! :clap:

Kari

Lesleyjoy
10-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Totally original and WAY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Listenup
10-16-2004, 02:31 PM
You outdid yourself this time Sharon! These are just way too cool, wonderful, spendid, great, adorable!!!!!!! I'm sure anyone who sees them will want one. I know I do.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:wave:
-Kay

kybeadmaker
10-16-2004, 02:51 PM
I wanna be Sharon for just one day...okay just two hours...I love how her mind thinks !!!!
Harriet

glass_beads
10-16-2004, 05:51 PM
kristen, the key is to NOT grow up...lol!

LOVE these Sharon! And I'm so envious you're taking that class with Bronwen...that would be the ultimate class I'd want to take.

Andie's Glass
10-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Sharon,

Those are too damn cool! Love em. You have so much fun with beads, I envy your ability to always be in touch with the child within! Great great beads!

Andie

mperaza
10-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Sharon - OUTSTANDING!!! AMAZING! UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME!
make sure you let us all know when they go up for sale.

Marilyn

CorriDawn
10-17-2004, 01:00 AM
I keep coming back and looking at these.. They are such a cool idea!!!

jbriz
10-17-2004, 05:58 AM
Those are just way too cool!

Vaverska
10-17-2004, 06:09 AM
:clap: Those are just Super Duper Sharon! :clap: I'm sure that alot of "Thirty-Somethings" like myself had these books as children...they certainly bring back many memories for me!I love that moment when the vision of something finally "works"! Congrats! :)

sgraphics
10-17-2004, 07:40 AM
AMAZING & entertaining as always!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

amayita
10-17-2004, 08:55 AM
OH MY! Sharon your just a HOOT! Oooooo an owl....hmmmm. LOL I definately want to be like Sharon for a day too! If you can ever take a class with her do so! She is just amazing and she does really make you think outside the box! HUGS Sharon! Oh and if you ever make an owl.......let me know! :wink2:

SharonP
10-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Amaya answer and question for all you guys:

Hiya, Amaya, have you been practicing? I did some doodling, and the only way an owl could work is if the head was the top segment, the entire body & wings & projecting toes were the middle, and the bottom segment was a face with the eyes looking up. This has possibilities - if the body component was swiveled to the critter on the other side, it might look like it was growing out of the head. I'll put it on the component list and see what happens!

There was actually a reason I posted these, and (duhhh...) being in the middle of fifty things at once, I posted the pics and forgot the question, so here it is:

My first original piece was the beanie boy, back 8 years ago, which had head, body, and whirlycopter components. At my first couple shows I displayed the pieces separately so customers could pick the combos they wanted. What I got was a table blockaded by folks who spent an hour agonizing over the choices, and most of em couldn't decide and put them down and left, and those who actually wanted to see the table couldn't get in to buy.

They were lousy shows, and after that I wired up the combos I liked and refused to cut pieces apart to switch components. They still ask me to do that at every show - I say they can special order, and never hear from them again. Are lost sales worth rewiring pieces all day at all the shows? I think not! Tho very rarely I do it if it's one piece of a really large order or it's a regular customer.

So now I have the mix n' match critters, and am thinking maybe it should be the same way - I choose the design, and what you see is what you get? But I'm anticipating customers who say 'I love the giraffe on the front, and the frog and boobs on the back are good, but I'd prefer zebra legs, so I won't buy this'. So what do ya think? Wired together or sold separately? Some of both? I'll won't have these for sale untilTucson, so there's time to decide, but your input is really valuable, so please give me some! *s*

crsann
10-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi sharon,
My opinion would be to create them and wire the way you want and also keep a few mix and match (under wraps) for those special customers or big order peeps you were talking about. You could also do like some bead makers I've seen and take suggestions, if ya make their sugg then let them have first refusal on that piece or something like that. Regardless of what you decide they are just fabulous and will sell like hotcakes.
when are you coming back to florida? also when are you going to be teaching again? Had a blast in your class.
chrisann

Lara
10-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Too clever. I love it!

Lara

pat g
10-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Sharon,
It is so amazing after drooling over your books as a new beader to see an entirely new idea come to life right here on the WC! Congratulations on another terrific idea. :clap: Pat