PDA

View Full Version : Need help starting a guessing game in the Gallery

Maddie M.
10-16-2004, 12:18 PM
I'd like to start a "Guessing Game: Which WC! member painted this?" thread in the Watercolor Gallery, and I need a volunteer or two to help get it going. Here's how it would work:

1. Pick one of your paintings that has not been seen on WetCanvas before.
2. Upload your image as usual, using Quick Links > Image Uploader.
3. Copy the URL code (the IMG tag or code that you would normally paste into your post).
4. Send me a PM and paste your IMG code in the PM.
5. I will post your unknown painting to the Guessing Game thread.
6. People will try to guess the artist's identity.
7. Keep checking the Guessing Game thread to verify when someone guesses correctly. (You can also try to throw us off by posting your own "guess" that it is someone else.)
8. After your painting has been correctly identified in the guessing thread, you can start your own new thread in the Gallery for C&C on that painting if you wish.

Is anyone interested in playing? I think we could have fun with it. Some artists have distinctive styles and it would be fairly easy to guess. (Then again, you might think you have a distinctive style, but if no one guesses correctly, maybe that tells you something.) People can also paint things that are not in their usual styles, they can submit more than one unknown in different styles, they can pick things they painted years ago, and they can purposefully try to mislead us.

So... I need a volunteer to send me the IMG code for an uploaded painting as the first "unknown." Don't post here that you are going to PM me. That sort of gives it away, don't you think?

-- Maddie

Yorky
10-16-2004, 02:10 PM
What a great idea, Maddie, but the thread will get quite big unless it is redone say weekly.

Doug

Maddie M.
10-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Good suggestion, Doug. Thanks.

-- Maddie

Europa
10-16-2004, 07:57 PM
What a great idea Maddie - you could just start a new thread once the artist has been identified maybe.

Looking forward to this.

Pat

Maddie M.
10-16-2004, 08:20 PM
News Flash: We have our first volunteer! :clap:

Here is a link to the Guessing Game thread in the Gallery:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223491

We can have multiple unknowns going at the same time because it might take a while to guess them. I'm numbering the images and hoping to put several into the same thread. When that thread gets too long, I'll start a new one.

-- Maddie

Strawberry Wine
10-16-2004, 08:28 PM
:clap: Maddie :clap: Brilliant idea. I will re read your instructions and the next painting I do I will be PM ing you.

Very tired tonight and will start playing the guessing game tommorow.

Cheers,

Gail

Maddie M.
10-16-2004, 08:37 PM
LOL, Gail. You aren't supposed to tell everyone that you are going to PM me. Everyone is going to be guessing any new upload is yours. :p :D

-- Maddie

Strawberry Wine
10-16-2004, 10:10 PM
:) :) :) But Maddie, It may take a couple of weeks before the not yet started mystery painting is completed or it could be late this week so I will keep them all guessing.

Cheers,

Gail

Maddie M.
10-16-2004, 10:27 PM
Pretty sneaky strategy, Gail. :D

Pat, you have me wondering now whether each "unknown" should have its own thread. If it gets too confusing with multiples in one thread, maybe that's the way to go. Will keep that option in mind.

-- Maddie

Maddie M.
10-17-2004, 01:06 AM
For the time being, I have decided to post five unknowns per thread and we can see how that works. The following info was posted in the Gallery and I wanted to also add it to this discussion thread:

If someone has guessed your name in the Guessing Game thread and you are not the artist, you can post that information if you want to. That way, people have a chance to take second guesses.

If you are the artist of an unknown and people have guessed your name, it's your choice when you want to let them know they got it right. It might be a good idea to wait at least 24 hours before confirming it, though, so that everyone has a chance to post their guesses in different time zones. You can also add any additional information, such as the painting's size, the title, when you painted it, or whatever.

Keep those PMs coming. :wave:

-- Maddie