PDA

View Full Version : New use for half broken beads

Wiredreams
10-16-2004, 12:05 AM
I finally figured a way to use some of my half-broken beads.

They are epoxed onto pieces of precious metal clay and pin backs also.

The third one with color,of which the bead blends into I used Pebeo Paint,of which I had to put back in the kiln at 300 deg for 30 min.

MegannsMom
10-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Cool! I really need to learn to do PMC!! It seems so neat!

I use my broken in half beads as cabochons and bead around them...but I've always wanted to use them as cabochon stones in a PMC ring. :D
~Cindy

CharleneN
10-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks for sharing those! I dabble in PMC alittle and I really love they way you did them. Very inspiring!

margaretz
10-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Those are very cool!!! I just finished my Level I certification, and have been playing with integrating glass with PMC... also making lampworked cabochons for a friend who sells PMC supplies...

One suggestion: Fuse your half beads before adding to the piece- I think you'll be much happier with the look. How to do it: Into a cool kiln, place your half beads on small pieces of shelf paper cut slightly larger than each piece. Ramp up your kiln over an hour to around 1500... take a peek to see if the beads have slumped enough to flatten a little bit. This will get rid of the mandrel hole (make sure it's really clean before fusing). Vent the kiln so that the temp drops to around 960, and anneal/ cool as you would with beads. Don't let the kiln temp stay between 1300 and 1500 for too long- some colors will devitrify if they stay too long in that range.

Know that some colors will do some funny things when fused... reduction frit colors tend to wash out a bit... some striking colors will strike more... just expect a few surprises!

I think there's an article in Step By Step beads from a year or so ago on this technique- i think the article was called "Half Baked Beads" or something like that. I'll have to check for who authored it.

Great job- thanks for sharing them with us!!!

Wiredreams
10-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks Margaret,I'll have to try that.

margaretz
10-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Tim- I just noticed you're from Cuyahoga Falls... I grew up in Cleveland (west side tho). It must be absolutely gorgeous in OH now, with all of the changing leaves... That's one of the things I miss about living outside the desert...

jowell
10-17-2004, 12:14 AM
I really like your use of color with this one very nice (I like it) .

Jo L.