PDA

View Full Version : Better than sex...??

glassyeyed
10-14-2004, 11:23 PM
OK, I meant to say better than R-108??????
I was kinda talked into buying this glass when I was at OCR the other day. Wasn't sure that I wanted to because I was only there for R-108. But I made some stringers and now I'm glad I bought it. It gives a cool, kind of tie dyed effect.

CosmicGW
10-14-2004, 11:32 PM
That is a great color - thanks for posting the picture. Does anyone else have any pictures of this glass?

Becky

!ngridh
10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
well I got suckered again......sigh

I think you will find that moretti purple will give very similar effects on black ;-)

nice looking beads!

glassyeyed
10-14-2004, 11:46 PM
well I got suckered again......sigh

I think you will find that moretti purple will give very similar effects on black ;-)

nice looking beads!

Ah! I forgot to mention that this is Spectrum black. And it does it with all the colors I've tried so far. It is a little like the Moretti purple, though. Good point!
I just looked it up, it's Zimmerman Purple Rose Special, Z99

Josie
10-15-2004, 03:05 AM
That is my new favorite frit! I've got tons of beads in my Ebay store as examples. I like it because , if you work it, it gives shades of blues along with the purple. Looks like enamels but in a pattern you could never achieve with true enamels. I also LIKE the devit. effect it gets. Sooooo cool. :cool:
I love, LOVE this frit! :evil:

Tracey

Lehcar
10-15-2004, 10:11 AM
EDP is one of my favorites!

boheme'
10-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi Joanne,

I got some Purple Rose special frit and when I try to pull stringers out of it they're brittle like silvered ivory. Are your stringers brittle? I'm pulling for #2 frit. Just curious cause I love this color too.

Thanks,
Deb Cline

glassyeyed
10-15-2004, 10:40 AM
No, they are not brittle. They are a little stiffer than some other stringers I've made. I believe the COE of this glass is about 94. Are you using clear moretti (or any moretti) as your base? I wonder if, by the time you pull the stringer down, your proportions of glass are such that the COE's become an issue. Could this possibly be the case? That's pure speculation, so hopefully, one who is much smarter than I will chime in here with further opinions (or maybe some real facts!)
My stringers are made straight from the bar, so they are solid z99. I load my vitrigraph up with chunks that I've broken up, melt it all, and pull stringer until the crucible is empty. That pile of stringer that the bead is posing with is a small portion of what's sitting in my garage.... :evil: :evil:

Kimberly Affleck
10-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Yep. Z99 is a great frit. I have been using it for a long time and giving it to my students. Some others to try along the same line are Z850 and Z851. They are both a little lighter than the Z99, but behave much the same. Not cheap, though!

!ngridh
10-15-2004, 11:25 AM
That is my new favorite frit! I've got tons of beads in my Ebay store as examples. I like it because , if you work it, it gives shades of blues along with the purple. Looks like enamels but in a pattern you could never achieve with true enamels. I also LIKE the devit. effect it gets. Sooooo cool. :cool:
I love, LOVE this frit! :evil:

Tracey

I just checked out your stores! WOW talk about productive! Lovely offerings and WOW that's a lot of work...Makes me feel like a slug... I am going to have to develop a new mantra...I will make beads today ...I will make beads today...hummmmm you know ...I think I will go make some beads...

ahhhhhhh after I finish reading WC ;-)