PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this paint? MAIMERIBLU

old navy
10-14-2004, 08:50 PM
How do you pronounce It? MY MARY BLUE Is that right? I read about this paint on hand website.Is it any good?He says it is low priced and I think I will try It.I want to use a lot of different paints before I make up my mind.Ron

painterbear
10-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Hi Ron,

I have a tube of MaimeriBlu Indigo and it is very nice. Mixes well and goes on smoothly.

I believe it is pronounced as MAY MARE EE BLUE (MAY as in the month of..., Mare as in a female horse, Ee as in what you say when you go down the first hill on a roller coaster, and Blue as how you feel when someone makes you sad. ;) )

Sylvia

Christie
10-14-2004, 09:12 PM
I have some of these paints and love using them. I am an M. Graham person normally and these felt just as good to use. Lovely colours and they felt good to use.

pampe
10-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I have a couple MaimeriBlu paints on my pallette...nice paint

mr sandbanx
10-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Ron I think Starsprite uses these. They were mentioned in her last thread.

Chris

Rod
10-15-2004, 12:53 AM
They are very popular in New Zealand,
I'm changing over to them as my W&N runout,
very good paints,

Rod

Johnnie
10-15-2004, 05:15 AM
Hi

Yes I use 3 Maimeri Oil tubes.. They are just great.. They have a Classic paint and a Puro paint. Puro is the best. Just luscious full colors.

I beleive somewhere you can pick up a trial of 3 tubes of the primary colors for around $29. US.. Forget where but you can find it in search..

I have not however tried the MaimeriBlu.. I gather that is watercolor... But then again Pigment is Pigment idn't it.

Johnnie

steven
10-15-2004, 07:09 AM
Used a few of their tubes, but it's not my type of paint - lots of gum arabic. Don't dare mixing them with my usual pans as the gum arabic contaminates my brushes and alters the behaviour of my other paints. :rolleyes: Not for the wet-in-wet, free flowing person.

Washes also look weird during drying, as the gum arabic starts looking like an opaque, wrinkled skin (Thank God the effect dissapears when completely dry :o )

That said they have vibrant colours - quite Italian :wink2: and if very flat washes is your spiel then go for it.

Used them for this work (essentially because I was looking for bright, modern colours): Phantom Mask (http://home.earthlink.net/~riene/Red_and_Green_Phantom_Mask.JPG)

Hope this helps!

Steven

steven
10-15-2004, 08:46 AM
I seem to remember cdrane uses MaimeriBlu and does wonderful stuff with it - it might be worth looking up his paintings.

Starsprite
10-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Hey Ron! Yes I purchased about 10 tubes of Maimeriblu paints from Cheapjoes.com over a year ago... and still have a lot of paint left in most of the tubes...some are about gone though. The reason I wanted to try them is because Boarsrock said he uses them and I love his work.

Also, I am cheap, LOL ;) I got tired of paying the high prices for the teensy little tubes of Winsor Newton paints. The Maimairblu are 15 ml tubes (three times the size of Winsor Newtons) and they cost the same. I can't tell a difference, they have a lot of pigment in them and work for me.

I have also tried Da Vinci paints for the same reason...much bigger tubes and better price than Winsor Newton. They too are great paints to use. Alan Cross uses those as does Sandbanx and some others I can't remember right now. They even come in larger tubes than the 15 ml. These are also sold at Cheapjoes.com. You should check out that site...it's got some great bargains on it!

Sylvielu
10-15-2004, 10:20 AM
I use Maimeriblu in most of what I do now. Sometimes I use it in conjunction with Daniel Smith. I phazed out my Winsor Newton colors because I get larger tubes for the price of small WN.

I love the way the colors look, especially cobalt blue, the violets and the ultramarines. As we know different brands with same colo names look different.

Johnnie
10-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi again

Yes I agree with Patty for really good paints and a good price and a large size tube you cant beat DaVinci... Alan uses them always as do I ..
My painting strip below are all done with DaVinci..

Great paint and amount for the money and I dont really see any diffence between them and WN as far as color and quality goes.. They are available almost anywhere.

Johnnie

droll13
10-15-2004, 11:38 AM
I have a few tubes of Maimeriblu and used to use them a bit. They were fine. One thing I don't like is that they give the colors funky names so knowing exactly what pigments you're really buying is complicated.

Like most manufacturers, they make (or used to make) both Artist Quality and Student Quality. Which are you using?

I seem to remember that Zoltan Szabo used Maimeri brand quite a bit, and I like much of his work.

old navy
10-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks to all.I bought some da vinci and I like them.I believe from what you say about maimeriblu (love that name)I will be buying lots of those.Thanks for the info.Ron Patty,I buy from crazy joes all the time,Its only a few miles from my home.Great place to buy from.

Starsprite
10-15-2004, 12:15 PM

Like most manufacturers, they make (or used to make) both Artist Quality and Student Quality. Which are you using?

I believe both Maimeriblu and Da Vinci only make the Artist grade paints.

Starsprite
10-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Thanks to all.I bought some da vinci and I like them.I believe from what you say about maimeriblu (love that name)I will be buying lots of those.Thanks for the info.Ron Patty,I buy from crazy joes all the time,Its only a few miles from my home.Great place to buy from.

Wow you are only a few miles from there?? I would be going there all the time! Lucky you!!! The closest art supply store to me is J. Michaels or Hobby Lobby...not a whole lot of selection at those places.

Yes, you can't go wrong with either Da Vinci or Maimeriblu Ron...I think they are excellent quality paints for a decent price. I am taken with that name Maimeriblu too... pretty catchy Italian name. :D

steven
10-15-2004, 01:44 PM
:D I love the name too - always reminds me of the 'Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)' song! :cool:

old navy
10-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Hello Dave,I forgot to answer your question.I am only buying pro paints now since I learned that the student grade are not as good.I will give the Maimeriblu a try.Ron

Lia-Chan
10-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi again

Yes I agree with Patty for really good paints and a good price and a large size tube you cant beat DaVinci... Alan uses them always as do I ..
My painting strip below are all done with DaVinci..

Great paint and amount for the money and I dont really see any diffence between them and WN as far as color and quality goes.. They are available almost anywhere.

Johnnie

Good news :Da Vinci is ON SALE at Dick Blick! :clap: :clap: :clap: A tube of Pthalo Blue is costing 5.68 (cheaper than a tube of W&N) , and it comes in 37ml tubes! If i had the money i would buy their paints.

I have no life

ShannonAnne
10-16-2004, 12:09 AM
I have one tube of Maimeriblu paint - Sap Green. I love it and use it in every painting. A great deal (lots of paint for a little $). :cat:
Shannon

Sanibelle
10-16-2004, 10:29 AM
I have been trying Maimeriblu watercolors over the last 6 months or so. They are more affordable and I love the colors. It is true that it takes time to get used to the names of the different colors. One of my favorites is called Dragon's Blood. To me it is along the lines of a Burnt Sienna but with some red tone added. Burnt Sienna with a kick. It's a good color to mix a dark with. I also like Verzino Violet. It's kind of like a permanent magenta and permanent rose mix. I think Maimeriblu's colosr are very vibrant and that's what keeps me experimenting with them.