PDA

View Full Version : Color Question

kahlanne
10-14-2004, 01:04 PM
This is more of a question of wall color. I now have an extra room in our new house that will be the office and is still large enough for all of my crafting and painting. Currently the walls are white and I hate it. I would love to have the room chocolate brown and blue but I am not sure that would be good in a gallery/studio. Do you think wall color effects the way you paint? What color is your studio? Any colors you absolutely would not suggest aside from personal dislike for that color? Would it make a difference if you would be displaying your artwork around the room besides what is on your easel? Or is lighting the real issue for a gallery/studio? If so what do you suggest conscerning lighting? THanks.

artmom
10-14-2004, 01:15 PM
For painting and display, white would be my color choice (and is). Colors on the walls of a studio affect the light and the colors on your canvas. If you are more interested in style, then use your favorite colors.

There are a lot of threads discussing this subject. Check the "Studio Tips" Forum for starters.

Lyn

Rod
10-15-2004, 12:56 AM
I too would pick a colour that would give me the best lighting,

but of course our creative side also has to feel comfortable with the choice,

Rod.

Neeman
10-15-2004, 01:34 AM
In one of my past careers I was a designer.

The answer is a white tint.
And good lighting.

If you want a strong color in your room,
you will be suprised how far a white tint in the color you want goes.
A white with a chocolate brown tint on the wall that gets the sun.
And a blue (nuteral) tint on the shadow walls.

When the sun comes the brown "disappears", and returns strongly at night.
The blue stays constant.

You must have good strong and variable lighting at night, to minimize the color of the walls for work like painting.

Neeman

baba
10-15-2004, 02:27 AM
I don't like white walls either. I paint in my living room which is a soft yellow.
That said, do be careful. Like Neeman said, tinting white paint a little is often enough. The colour will appear so much stronger once you have a whole wall of it.
Another important question is sunlight: does your room get a lot of direct sun? Then go easy on the warm shades. My room faces north, so the yellow simply compensates the cool natural light I get. If you're going to paint the room in any case: mix up some colour and paint a large(!) swatch on a wall, so that you can live with it for a few days and see if you like it. After all, the main thing is that you like being in that room.

FriendCarol
10-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Yes, having actual color on your walls could be a problem if you want to paint in that room. First problem is -- say, did you ever do that experiment where the teacher told you to stare at a square of color (i.e., red) for 30 seconds and then look at a white sheet of paper and you "see" a faint colored (in this case, green) square? Your eyes sorta compensate for staring at a color by 'seeing' its complement. (Actually, it's more like the receptors on the cones sorta burn out and their opposites kick in on afterburner.) So if you have a colored wall, don't stare at your wall while you're mixing colors for your painting!

Next problem is, yes, the color surrounding another color definitely affects how it looks. So if you want to hang (or even just view on an easel or shelf) something as you're working on it, you won't have an objective sense of its colors against a colored wall. (Then again, maybe the person who buys it would agree to paint his/her wall your wall color!)

Among other things, the surrounding colors affect whether a particular color looks brighter or duller, and seems to come forward or recede in space.

Here's a suggestion: Color only one wall, and make it intense (one red, red wall!). I've seen this done, and it's interesting. It might be too dynamic for a bedroom, but should work for active painters. (As a contemplative painter, I might prefer a deep blue wall myself. :) ) If you try this, I'd recommend having the colored wall to one side of your painting space (not behind you, if your light might be reflected from it; not ahead of you, so you won't end up staring at it).

Here's another suggestion: Use a neutral gray, or grays... make wide bands of different shades of gray, horizontally, vertically, or diagonally! Gray isn't white, but it won't affect your color vision, either. :D