PDA

View Full Version : UK Get Together Autumn 2005

Yorky
10-14-2004, 04:24 AM
JT and I decided to split the previous "Alternative Gathering Arrangements" into tow threads, one for the Kington Spring 2005 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2800901#post2800901) and this one, so we can keep the arrangemnts separate to avoid confusion.

Arrangements for Autumn 2005 not finallised yet, but just to make it clear, this is not in competition with Montana 2005. If you can possibly get to Montana - I urge you to do it - it is a fantastic place. If you can't afford it, then consider the Spring or Autumn UK get togethers.

My list has 22 names so far ...

Doug

madmum
10-14-2004, 05:15 AM
Hi Doug,

I received the new PM, thanks :) I've been following the other thread, but when I saw that it was looking more like a week than a weekend I figured that I wouldn't be able to join in - I really can't go away for more than 2 nights, unfortunately. Thanks Jaytee for thinking of me, though :angel: I wouldn't miss the Kington weekend for the world, though, so count me in for that!

Ruth

Yorky
10-14-2004, 05:43 AM
OK Ruth, I understand - see you in the Spring.

Doug

jaytee
10-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Hi Doug,

I received the new PM, thanks :) I've been following the other thread, but when I saw that it was looking more like a week than a weekend I figured that I wouldn't be able to join in - I really can't go away for more than 2 nights, unfortunately. Thanks Jaytee for thinking of me, though :angel: I wouldn't miss the Kington weekend for the world, though, so count me in for that!

Ruth

Ruth.... all is not completely lost. depending on the arrangements I may only be able to make it for a couple of nights too cos of the animals.........so watch this space !!!

Yorky
10-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Just had a talk with the manager o the TOC-H accommodation - dates available 4 nights Mon-Fri 19th-23rd September cost around 37.50 per night Bed, breakfast and evening meal. Prefers full 4 nights booking. Details of accommodation not ready yet as premises are being altered, but rooms are en suite and may accommodate up to 30 people.

I feel the Kettlewell accommodation (http://www.welcomecottages.com/uce/welu?view=details&action=readDetails&cottageId=402387&holidayPark=N&sleeps=20&propertyTypeId=) might be more flexible as it is a single property catering for 18-24 people costing 1320 for the week i.e. 60 each Sat-Sat, but will keep you all informed when I get more details.

Doug

guilliame
10-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the pm Yorkie,i responded to Alans as a definite maybe :D i would love to be there but there is a slight chance i may have to cancel so having to fully commit now and pay a deposit for the booking is a bit dicey,especially if i have to cancel,12months is a long way off and one never knows,however i'll keep following the thread and hopefully i could get in at later date,as you say there are b & b's around,after saying all that i would still like to come,hope you are not :confused: :D

Europa
10-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Oh Lordy Lordy - have just had an awful thought - I will have to cope with not only Joe this time - but Kev as well.

AAAAAAAAARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :crying:

Pat

Yorky
10-15-2004, 05:11 AM
OK getting near decision time - we have 23 so far and need to make a booking as large properties are disappearing fast. Anyone else thinking of coming please say now as it affects what we book.

I am prepared to bear the deposit costs for now, but need a definite commitment from all of you and payment in full nearer the time (cheques made out to the owners).

Using the www.welcome2004.co.uk list we have two choices - the Kettlewell former hotel W40298 which has 9 bedrooms, but one has extra double bunks and another on the top floor has 5 beds. Would need some of the singles (Andy, Joe, Alan) to share the top floor bedroom, using all others as doubles/twins, totalling 19 people at around 80 per head. We could also book W7933 two miles down the road at Kilnsey if necessary, or look around for other B&B's for the overflow

Another option is the Somersall Herbert cottages near Ashbourne no.s W3997 and W8968 which are adjacent barns/farmhouse, but are 2 miles from a pub (beer at home?) - this would suit JT and Madmum for travelling.

I need a decision folks - which ones do you prefer?

Doug

joemajury
10-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Yorky.
I know it makes it awkward, but I would MUCH rather have a room of my own.
I snore a lot, and when I shared with Andy last time - so did he, so it was a race to see who went to sleep first.
He won, and I lay awake for the rest of the night.
So I'm sorry to put a dampener on it, but it has to be a single room, or I get no sleep the whole week.
I can't confirm until I know this.

Joe
:wink2: :wink2:

Jakeally
10-15-2004, 07:19 AM
I like the look of Somersall Herbert so that would be my first choice.
However I am happy to go along with the majority. I would like my own room but am prepared to share if necessary.

DavidBR
10-15-2004, 07:52 AM
We agree with Jakeally - any of the Somersall Herbert properties look great. (By the way Doug I think the property reference W3997 is wrong - think it is W3993). But, as Chris says, we are quite happy to go along with the others on this decision. The photos have us wanting to come right now.

Maffet
10-15-2004, 08:38 AM
:cat: Lol! Do I see well that this cottage is only 40-50 minutes from Birmingham? It would be nice :-) ... I will watch this thread

jaytee
10-15-2004, 09:05 AM
As you know. ......Yorkshire is out for me but Somersall Herbet is great.......I would suggest thinking about taking properties 8968 and 7921........ since between them they have the most bedrooms on the ground floor and a lot of them ensuite......... and if no-one minded I could bring the dogs and stay the whole week......................I would pay for a room just for the three of us :D anyway I wouldnt want to share........

The 3993 property looks fantastic but having most bedrooms up on the 2nd floor would I think be least suitable........( though see afterthought below !!!!!)

are they ALL available ????......... and what would the cost work out at per bedroom . .......I suggest we think about working it out on this basis rather than a per person........it seems unfair that some of us should have a room to ourselves and pay the same as someone sharing............even though this is I think how it was worked at Stable End Luntley Farm..........

we would have to face up to the fact though that the other two adjacent properties might be let out at the same time.. ....and we dont know to who !!!! And would they constrict us?

I suppose that would be the BIG advantage of the detached farmhouse........... but that only has one ground floor bedroom........ I would need one for the dogs....... Doug and Stitcher eould need one too !!

sorry to complicate it :D perhaps the vote will go to yorshire and solve the problem :D :evil: :evil:

whta bout ther stuff in Derbyshire?

Yorky
10-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Well, folks, as hinted by Europa in the Wash!, we had a trip to Kettlewell to look over the available accommodation. As luck would have it, someone was opening the front door as we arrived, and we were able to look around the property. It will fit the bill perfectly. It's a former Victorian hotel which has been divided into en suite bedrooms. Opposite is a large car park.

Next door on the right is the Cottage tea room which has two en-suite double rooms on with a four poster at 26.50 per person per night, and to the left is another holiday cottage with 2 double and one twin room at 350 per week. There are also numerous other B&B's and small holiday lets in the village (we got details).

Here's front view of the "hotel" with the tea room on the right, a view with the holiday cottage on the left, and a view of the bridge and one of 3 pubs in the village taken from the front door.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/1046-KettlewellTea-Room.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/1046-KettlewellCliffView.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/1046-KettelewellPubview.jpg

This is the one for me, the village is idyllic, with three pubs within 100 yards. It was the location for the film "Calendar Girls" and to prove it here is the "WI" building just around the corner.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/1046-KettlewellWI.jpg

I strongly recommend the Kettlewell accommodation, its is plumb in the village centre and there are masses of painting subjects within 100 yards. I'll put more images in the RIL under "Kettlewell".

It is a 20 minute drive from Skipton station for those who wish to arrive by train and be picked up.

Doug

DavidBR
10-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Doug - that's great of you to check this all out for the rest of us. The photos look super - I'm altering my previous vote - count us in for the Kettlewell site. From the looks of the map reference you sent - it's about equal distance between London and Glasgow - the two locations our charter airline flies to. We are considering Glasgow so that we can drive south through what looks like a very interesting area. Thanks again.

Yorky
10-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the reply, David. Kettlewell it is.

If you are driving south from Glasgow I can tell you the drive down the M6 past the Lake District is superb, and the drive over the Pennines on the A59 is one of the most scenic drives I know.

Doug

jaytee
10-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Sorry Doug............ not managed to persuade me !!!

better take me & Madmum off the list i9f its Kettlewell :crying:

Jakeally
10-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Anywheres OK by me as long as I get a bed :D

Sharon Douglas
10-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks Doug,

Thats just what I was hoping for.
Looks lovely.I can`t wait to get my brushes wet there.

Maybe Andy will finish a painting on this get together :evil:

Yorky
10-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Sorry you can't make it, JT, you could come by train and we could pick you up at Skipton or maybe even Andy or Jakeally could give you a lift?.

I recommend M6 - A59 - B6265 from South/southwest.

I have posted several photos of the village in the RIL.

Doug

Roun2it
10-16-2004, 05:08 AM
It would be a pity to arrange something that doesn't suit everyones taste, but Yorshire is the next county up from Derbyshire, so an extra 20 miles or so shouldn't make a great deal of difference. I am sure ther would be places for the dogs in Kettlewell, I may even bring one of my own. I'm sur Molly would love to met your 2.

Anyway I'm game for anywhere, just fill me in with the details. I don't want to vote as my vote may just knock others out of coming. I think I will be on my own, Chris is looking after her leave. We are still contemplating Montana and the dates haven't been sorted for that yet. So commitment is very difficult.

Yorky
10-16-2004, 05:57 AM
OK I have enough interest to book Dale House.

I found out their week is Friday-Friday so dates will be 16th-23rd September 2005. Cost will be 80 or under per person for week or part of week. Still cheaper than B&B which averages 26-29 pp per night.

If we get more than 19 and can't arrange sharing of top floor 5 bed room, then we'll hire next door.

Doug

Flattwo
10-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Hi

David...if you land at Glasgow...give me a shout and I''ll meet with you for a coffee!

Henry

Yorky
10-17-2004, 03:04 PM
OK, I have 21 on my list, enough to book both Dale House and Cliff View.

It is the devil's own job sorting out accommodation, but as it stands at present this is how we have it. All rooms at Cliff View are en suite, most GF and 1st Floor at Dale House are en suite, 2nd floor has 2 bathrooms with spa baths. There is an extra house bathroom.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2004/1046-KettlewellList.jpg

This should allow a little flexibility and I have combined the cost of both properties to make cost around 80 each.

Booking for Dale House is Friday-Friday, and Cliff View is Saturday-Saturday.

Any more wish to join us, or any problems let me know asap. I will handle the deposits, but final payment will be due 2 months before date.

Doug

Europa
10-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Looks good to me!!

Pat

jaytee
10-17-2004, 07:25 PM
It would be a pity to arrange something that doesn't suit everyones taste, but Yorshire is the next county up from Derbyshire, so an extra 20 miles or so shouldn't make a great deal of difference. I am sure ther would be places for the dogs in Kettlewell, I may even bring one of my own. I'm sur Molly would love to met your 2.

Kev...... remind me not to let you do any map-reading for me next April:D

Kettlewell a good 70 miles further north AS THE CROW FLIES !!!! so probably more than double the distance from here of Ashbourne ....... and a good 1/2 days drive at least.......with dog....... I think not :D

However they will soon be in re-training ready for the spring. ( Guilli please note :D)....... so who knows ...... Autumn 2006 in Derbyshire?

Roun2it
10-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Hey you can't blame me for trying to get you to reassess, now can you :evil: :wink2:

Yeah, looks good to me, but still waiting to do a feasability study on Montana, when details are announced.

Yorky
10-18-2004, 03:22 AM
Kettlewell a good 70 miles further north AS THE CROW FLIES !!!! so probably more than double the distance from here of Ashbourne ....... and a good 1/2 days drive at least.......with dog....... :D

However they will soon be in re-training ready for the spring. ...........so who knows ...... Autumn 2006 in Derbyshire?

Derbyshire 2006 sounds good too!

Maybe Kettlewell is a little further for you, Jaytee, especially for a couple of days stay, but it would be worth the trip. The accommodation I found in Ashbourne wasn't ideal, the TOC-H was too expensive and resticted, so Kettlewell seemed the best choice to suit the most people.

See you in the spring though, we're comng to Kington.

Doug

artmom
10-18-2004, 04:52 AM
Just had to add a note here, so that ya'll wouldn't think I was talking about you behind your backs!

In Pam's thread re: The Montana Gathering, I said that I got a chuckle out of some of you mentioning the meeting at Kettlewell being too far away. Ed and I plan to drive to Montana, and it is 2,450 miles from us!!! By the time we finish the trip, with a side trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, we'll have driven 6,000 miles! :eek: LOL

Looks as if the Montana meeting might be at about the same time as your Autumn meeting, as most folk seem to be leaning to having the gathering after Labor Day in early September.

Lyn

Yorky
10-18-2004, 05:15 AM
LOL Lyn - 70 miles is a long way in the UK! I know that in the USA and Canada you would think of driving that far for lunch:D

It is difficult to find a location and accommodation to suit eveyone, but Kettlewell is very central to the UK and there are lots of cottages and B&B's in the village. It happens that 2 adjacent properties would accommodate just about everyone at a low cost, and be just 100 yards from 3 pubs.

The decision was the result of a lot of discussion, in a previous thread started by Andy here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221448&page=1&pp=40)

Just waiting for everyone to confirm that the details are OK, then I will book both properties.

Doug

Yorky
10-24-2004, 10:34 AM
OK you guys, I have confirmed Dale House accommodation and will confirm Cliff View in Kettlewell, Wharfed ale when I get a call back from the owners.

I'd like confirmation from everyone on my list, I already received it from Roun2it, RipvanBlair, RF, Andylavallee, Sharon Douglas, DavidBR, JoeMajury, Jean Valerie, and of course Stitcher and I.

If anyone else wishes to join the get together for a week/weekend, you'll be welcome, and I'll fit you in/look for nearby accommodation, just please pm me. I'll be away Mon-Fri next week in Herefordshire, BTW.

Doug

Kate Mc
10-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Sorry Doug, I thought that I had confirmed to you too. Count us in (see pm)

Kate

Yorky
10-24-2004, 12:31 PM
LOL, Kate - just double checking before I send the deposits.

Doug

Yorky
11-01-2004, 02:29 AM
OK, we have enough firm commitments, so I have now booked Dale House (http://www.dale-house.co.uk) and intend to book Cliff View next door as soon as I can get in touch with the owners, who are on holiday.

I will be asking for payment 2 months before the date and depending on how many people we can fit into the accommodation, it should be around 85 each. Incidentally Dale House has to be booked Friday 16th September to Friday 23rd, and Cliff View will be Saturday 17th - Saturday 24th.

If anyone else is thinking of joining us I will look around for more accommodation. There are 2 beds still available in a 5 bed room on the 2nd floor at Dale house for single men.

Doug

JudyL
11-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Sorry all, I've been out of touch.
Doug, would like to confirm, it sounds very good to me!
By then I will be willing to drive. Jack will just have to let me have the car when it rains. He does not drive the "baby" when the weather is iffy.
JudyL

pampe
11-02-2004, 04:27 PM
so without reading the whole thread...can you give me your dates before I post the US ones......tanx

Yorky
11-02-2004, 04:39 PM
LOL Pam,

We settled on Friday 16th September to Saturday 24th September. The two properties start thei weeks on Friday and Saturday.

Doug

Yorky
11-05-2004, 10:14 AM
I have started a sticky thread at the top of the forum with the latest details, including a link to Dale House and Cliff View info and the Kettlewell site which gives details of other accommodation in the village.

Doug