PDA

View Full Version : Just some beads....I have been gone for awhile & need help w/ frits!

kwstudios
10-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Hey Beaders,

It has been a long time for me ... I am finally moved into my new place and I hope to never move again (ugh!)

Here's some hearts. I haven't made any in awhile, so I had to test myself.

OK, so I have to start asking questions about all of these new frits........

Where do you get all of these cool Raku frits?

Karen

AmyK
10-14-2004, 01:54 AM
You can get the raku from Val. Just visit her andale store...you may have to stalk it for a couple of weeks! Hurry...she still has some right now! Val's (http://www.andale.com/store?sid=172487&cid=2066681&mode=1&catId=&pnum=1&tpages=null&psize=10&lid=&storeLayout=classic&storeTheme=midnight&view=HOME&newStore=null&parentCatId=)

Briatha
10-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Karen you can also get them at the following link:
Blue Heeler Glass (http://gallery.andale.com/store?sid=292092&cid=16881352&mode=1&catId=&pnum=1&tpages=&psize=10&lid=&storeLayout=classic&storeTheme=mistyBlue&view=HOME&newStore=&parentCatId=)

Carlsmarblesbeadsetc
10-14-2004, 03:57 AM
? Can I use this type frit with Moretti glass. Its all I got. Thanks.! Carl~~~HI VAL I LOVE UR STORE.

Briatha
10-14-2004, 04:01 AM
Yes Carl it can be used very sparingly with Moretti.

Carlsmarblesbeadsetc
10-14-2004, 04:09 AM
Thanks because I am afraid to combine the two different COE'S knowing the horrible things that could happen. Is that why you said sparingly lol. Carl~~~~

Briatha
10-14-2004, 04:17 AM
Yep! Nasty old cracks & breaks happen if you use too much.

Carlsmarblesbeadsetc
10-14-2004, 04:21 AM
Ok so What type of glass do I use with the frit so those cracks wont happen no matter how much of the frit I use.?? I will use the moretti up but I want some glass thats compatable with the frit. I will be using a Hot head torch when I get going. Thanks. End of my ?s sorry.

NYCindy
10-14-2004, 07:13 AM
96 COE glass such as Spectrum 96, Uroboros 96 rod and Gaffer.

Don't forget Gail's Gaffer Glass as a source for the R-108 and great Gaffer rods too! :-)

Ok so What type of glass do I use with the frit so those cracks wont happen no matter how much of the frit I use.?? I will use the moretti up but I want some glass thats compatable with the frit. I will be using a Hot head torch when I get going. Thanks. End of my ?s sorry.

Lenda
10-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Hi Karen and welcome back. I so know what you went through in the moving process, just did it myself and I hope I don't move for a really long time!!! Nice to see you got your torch set up so soon though, took me a while.

Just wanted to also say your hearts are fabulous as usual. I just love your scroll work, you are definately someone to look up to!:D

kwstudios
10-16-2004, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the sources!!

OK, so last Thursday night I borrowed some Raku Jitterbug from my studio partner (thanks Sue) and it didn't "work" like I thought it would. I made one tabular and two small rounds and it just looked tan with Raku effect :(

Can somebody give advice to me or point me to the direction of other threads that discuss the technical aspect of Raku? I am a little behind in this discussion.

Thanks, Karen

Josie
10-16-2004, 03:48 AM
Two easy things to remember are lots of heat and qick cool downs. Marvering, pressing and such work great and cook the devil out of it. :evil: You will actually see a translucent glow to it when you are starting to pull the color out of it. 'Coure that's no guarantee it will stay there. That's half the fun of this frit. You never know what colors will be where until they come out of the kiln. :wink2:
Tracey