PDA

View Full Version : Framing question

CraigG
10-14-2004, 12:46 AM
I was wondering where most people purchase their matts for framing their watercolors. I've checked out the online retailers like Dick Blick, etc. but wasn't sure if that was the best bargain around for them. Thanks for any help.

nailbender
10-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Craig, I purchase the largest matt boards they have and cut my own matts. I like to double matt them. (Dick Blick)
I use a razor knife and an aluminum yardstick. By doing this I can start out with large matts and use the cutouts for smaller paintings, this gives me matts at a fraction of the cost that precut matts cost.
It isn't really hard to cut them yourself after a little practice. I even cut them on an angle, this too is easy with a little practice. (always keep knife real sharp)
But if and when I can sell paintings more often and for higher prices, I will gladly let the framers do the matting lol. (it is much more fun to paint than to matt)

Bob

Uschi
10-14-2004, 02:06 PM
I have bought mats from a wholesaler in Canada and buy the metal pieces at a local store. Most of the framing supply places have them too. I too cut a lot of my own mats with a Compact matcutter by Logan.

I googled and here are some places.
Uschi

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Matting+and+Framing+Material&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

wayfarer
10-14-2004, 03:37 PM
I cut my own mats too. The savings is pretty darn good to make it worthwhile. But if truth be told, I too, don't like cutting them. My least favorite part about selling. When I'm rich and famous, I won't cut another mat. ;)

Chris

seedy
10-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Craig......
Try here...
www.framefit.com
I buy the full sheets Bainbridge Alphamat" which is acid free...and am quite satisfied...
If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

pampe
10-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Craig, you might want to post this question in the new framing FORUM (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=201)