PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out

Warhead
10-13-2004, 10:12 PM
A new acrylic painting i did. My 5th.

For a bigger version at DA because photobucket resizes automatically now.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/11401430/

Bertoni
10-14-2004, 08:53 AM
I like the way you did the water!! And it's great the way you have the duck standing there!!! :)

Lady Carol
10-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Hi Justin,
Wonderfully bright colours here. I like the composition.

One small crit is that the duck appears to be a cut out sitting on top of the water rather than having the duck sitting in the water. The duck is going to reflect water and highlights. Also the duck needs some more modelling to round it out further.

Great job for a 5th... :wave:

Warhead
10-14-2004, 03:03 PM
yeah thats one thing i seem to have a problem with, is i always make things look flat, is there a way to break out of this habit?? I don't know how to make things not flat? Is it just with proper shading etc.

Thank you both also.

Justin.

jonesbf
10-14-2004, 03:16 PM
I love the water as well and I agree that parts of the duck look like it was set on top of the water, but only near the chest area. There should be some reflection and ripples in the water in that area.

As far as making things look less "flat" goes try adding shadow and highlights to show the "roundess" of the body. Use the same color as the mid tones, and add a little purple for shadows and yellow, orange, or white for highlights.

HRH Goldie
10-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Wasn't sure what I was going to find when I opened this image. Firstly your screen name being Warhead and then image was on Deviant Art! :confused:
I certainly wasn't expecting a cute little duck lol :clap: :clap: :clap:

The rendition of the water is lovely as it has so much colour and movement. To me it would suggest very shallow water as it is a lighter blue colour. This would fit when you see the webbed feet of the duck. It could be that the duck is standing in the shallow of the water, but then there is a contradiction there because of the movement behind the duck almost whirlpool in effect.
Plus do I see a fish in the foreground? These lead us to subconciously think that the water is indeed deep enough to support the duck in 'swim' position.
If you want that to be the case then you will have to 'submerge' the very lower part of its body in the water; this should not be difficult for you as you have created this illusion very succesfully with the feet. As well as doing this, as already suggested some shadow would finish off nicely. I think water reflections on the feathers may be a bit difficult as you have already used white as a highlight quite extensively on the birds coat.
Hope this helps you a little - it wouldn't take much to correct these little niggles and then you would have a real little cracker.
You paint water much more effectively than me :wave:

Christine

Warhead
10-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Wasn't sure what I was going to find when I opened this image. Firstly your screen name being Warhead and then image was on Deviant Art!
I certainly wasn't expecting a cute little duck lol

haha thats what alot of people have said here :P Oh well surprise surprise!

I agree with everything else you say, and also i see so much more in this painting as i know what everything is.

As for the blue in the water, it is the reflection from a bright blue sky. And a bit of the lighter green and yellows in back right, are semi reflection from trees. :D

Thank you all for your kind comments :P I will be painting another painting very soon :D And you will all see that one too!

Justin.

Yokovich
10-15-2004, 02:14 AM
warhead--despite the modeling trouble (the lack of roundness in the duck) this is really a beautiful painting! that water is amazing! looking forward to the next one!

Warhead
10-15-2004, 09:19 PM
thank you! :D