PDA

View Full Version : OPS Members...thoughts and suggestions

Dyin
10-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Please feel free to add any suggestions and comments about the Oil Pastel Society you might have here. We value your input!

evildad
10-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Suggestions?

Stop doing so damn much!

Jeez, it's practically a second job just keeping up with you guys!

(Just kidding.) :evil:

eileenclaire
10-12-2004, 10:27 PM
teehee, things are snowballing rather quickly, aren't they? We have some dynamic members who are very passionate about op's. They are moving this medium forward at lightening speed!

steven
10-13-2004, 08:15 AM
*bringing a small glitch to the attention of the webmasters*

There seems to be a technical problem with the gallery of the latest batch of new members. I'm seeing the 'red-cross-in-rectangle' for their paintings, and clicking on them gives me a 'internal server error' page.

Dyin
10-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the head's up, Steven :) ...asking them to take a look at it...could be a server problem, but we'll get it fixed.

lgol27
10-13-2004, 10:34 AM
First of all I want to thank you all for awesome work you have been doing. :clap:

Second of all, I would like to make a suggestion. I know, you guys are keeping a bunch of aces in your sleeves, but I am wondering, you can make a rating system for pictures. Like, every member can put online his/her work and everyone else can rate it. It could be nice : a winner of the month, top 10....

I think it is not so hard to do as it seems. I know there are free working scripts that you can use. Maybe it will not do all these things, but the basics it will cover.

Dyin
10-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks Leonid, we're so happy you are pleased with things and appreciate your suggestions. It's great to have actively participating members and we will definately consider every suggestion carefully. It will help to know how many people are interested in these suggestions too, so I hope everyone will share their thoughts here.

eileenclaire
10-13-2004, 12:12 PM
I think you have a good suggestion, Leonid! I'm not clear as to whether you mean for this to be on the website. Possibly some members there might not want to participate. I think it would work great for an online show. Maybe we could have a member's choice award, each member voting for their favorite piece.

CarlyHardy
10-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Leonid,
I think this is an excellent suggestion for our online shows. It would give all who view the work an opportunity to choose their favorite and create more than just an artist's choice. A Viewer's Choice Award sounds really nice!

The website galleries are designed to give all of our members the opportunity to display a small sample of their work not for any competitive or sales purposes.

carly

lgol27
10-13-2004, 02:52 PM
I think you have a good suggestion, Leonid! I'm not clear as to whether you mean for this to be on the website. Possibly some members there might not want to participate. I think it would work great for an online show. Maybe we could have a member's choice award, each member voting for their favorite piece.

I do mean this for the website. I have upgraded recently my site to new hosting. And there are free scripts you can choose from. So I put a small picture gallery on my site. I use it for family pictures, but it could be any images. So you can define members there and every member can upload his works and rate the works of others. It works pretty good and you don't have to do almost anything except to define users.

Well, it is possible that some members will not want to participate. But if you build it, some will come. There are three kinds of members : active members, passive members and not members....:).

steven
10-15-2004, 07:58 AM
How about a simple flyer with the OPS details that we could download and print. And then spread around our local art shops and galleries :D

Dyin
10-15-2004, 09:48 AM
That's a good idea, Steven :) Something like that might work in another round about way, too...suppliers would see the interest in oil pastels, and might start carrying more product. :D

steven
10-15-2004, 10:11 AM
:D :D :D Got it in one, Sue! ;)

BeckyMc
10-15-2004, 10:58 PM
I'll do the web page if someone artsy does the flyer.

Pat Isaac
10-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Boy, have I been out of the loop.....Must have had a HUGE brain cramp as I didn't see this forum. :( :(

Steven, the banner idea is a good one as it can be posted all over and will get attention from others besides all we have sent to.

I like your idea Leonid. Many shows have a popular prize award and this sounds like the same thing. Not quite sure yet how we would work it, but we could work on it.

Pat

CarlyHardy
10-16-2004, 08:01 PM
I can do the flyer but I'd like to know more about what to include so that it would serve as a generic flyer for any member who wanted to use it.

Our graphic image at top....
General info about who we are....
An invitation to visit the website.....

Would you want a place to put your name and contact info for any local artists interested in oil pastels?

Other info you'd want on the flyer?

I could only do this in English...sorry, but I don't know any foreign language skills.
carly

hamsterdance
10-16-2004, 08:37 PM
I don't know how feasible this is at such an early stage (if ever) but I always thought it would be cool if an international society (as OPS is said to be) could have info in more than just english. At the very least I would choose Spanish as a second language option for the website since it's the 2nd most common geographically distributed language worldwide after english (or at least it is according to United Nations statistics).

Can you imagine how happy OP fans might be if they discovered the info was available in their native language? Perhaps a call could be put out for volunteers to see if they wouldn't mind translating english to spanish (or some other language). It would further break down barriers and really hammer home that OPS is truly international. :D

Dyin
10-16-2004, 08:50 PM
That's`another really good idea, I'm not one who knows the logistics of adding an option for another language, but I've always appreciated being able to get an English version on some European sites. I would first imagine that we need to see how intensive it would be for the webmasters, and if it was feasible, we would probably need international member help for the translations.

Pat Isaac
10-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Becky, that sounds like the right info. Keeping it simple is best. I also like the language idea, but am not sure how easy that is to do.

Pat

HelgaP
10-19-2004, 07:09 AM
This is the first opportunity I've had to go through this forum and read nearly all the postings. Well done guys, you're really doing a fabulous job - it's like having a guardian angel looking out for our interests, it's wonderful!

I was reading what Carly was saying about starting a local chapter of the OPS and the acronyms made me laugh:

SAOPS - South African Oil Pastel Society (Soaps)

DOPS - Durban Oil Pastel Society (Dopes)

:D :D :D

steven
10-19-2004, 11:46 AM
I think we should keep the info on the flyer to the point and practical.

It's mainly to print of copies and leave them behind at local art stores, local galleries, etc.

I think the essential information would be:
-Who we are
-What we represent
-How to contact/membership application details
-url
-some space for local contact sound good to me...

The bottom line is it should fit on one page. If a graphics image is included, it should look ok in black-and-white only too. Keep in mind not everybody has a fancy colour printer. So, maybe more a logo type of thing, than an actual OP work.
Beware standard size of printing paper here in most of Europe is A4 format (210 x 297 mm), which is slightly shorter than the Legal format used in North-America!

The different languages sound a good idea for the essential information pages of the website. I'm always willing to do a Flemish/Dutch version.

CarlyHardy
10-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Adding this to my long list of to do's for the OPS :)

Although I will say that at the moment, all of us are working on issues like 2005....dues for members....a member show....publicity and the daily work of keeping the site up-to-date ....so just wanted all of you to know that no idea is being neglected, but it may be some time before they can be implemented.

carly

CarlyHardy
10-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Steven,
I could do the flyer as an entire graphic image which could be printed out in full size or as multiples on a single page...as long as it wasn't so small that you couldn't read the text any longer. How does that sound?
carly

steven
10-20-2004, 06:24 AM
Steven,
I could do the flyer as an entire graphic image which could be printed out in full size or as multiples on a single page...as long as it wasn't so small that you couldn't read the text any longer. How does that sound?
carly

Sounds ideal to me, Carly! :)

Kathryn Wilson
10-20-2004, 12:02 PM
I wonder if any of our Professional members give oil pastel workshops?? It might be a good idea if they would let everyone know and it could be posted in the Newsletter (or here).

steven
10-20-2004, 05:10 PM
;) Any guide lines on how to submit a small technical article to the Oil Spill?

Deadlines, size/format of the images,...?

Dyin
10-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Steven....I let Eileen know you needed some info, am sure she'll let you know soon....am sure it will be much appreciated!!

eileenclaire
10-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Steven,

That's a great question! We would love for you to submit an article. The deadline for the next month's newsletter is the 20th of each month. Images can be the same size as you would use for uploading here on WC - 500 pixels wide by 600 high, jpg images. You can send it to [email protected]

Thanks for your interest, hope to hear from you soon!

steven
10-21-2004, 08:53 AM
:cool: Thanks for the info, Eileen - a short article will be on its way soon!

steven
10-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi Eileen,

Just e-mailed you the article and images! :D Let me know if there's any problem.

lgol27
10-25-2004, 03:00 AM
I have thought about a site gallery. This is a page where a picture(may be more) from every member could be put, so someone can just browse through and click on an interesting picture to see more of the author.

There is another small thing. Why threre isn't any counter how members are signed up? I am tired to come now and then to the site and to count :).
We should be proud that we have 43 members (as far as I have counted for today) :clap:

lgol27
10-25-2004, 03:03 AM
One more thing! I think it could be nice to put near the name of the artist in artists page a small flag (if the artist wishes to do so). So everyone could see that this society is truely intertnational.

Dyin
10-25-2004, 03:46 AM
I've seen sites where they have the artist pics all together like that and is it a nice quick overview of the work on the site and a good thought.
We'll do updates on member numbers and countries of origin in our monthly newsletters.
It's really nice that you've taken the time to give us your input and we'll do our best to implement what we can, as Carly said we're still working on a few other things, so please be patient! But do keep the ideas coming :)

anney
10-25-2004, 05:05 AM
Hello,

As for language, I can help in French (though I'm not a professionnal translator, of course). Obviously Spanish is more useful... As for website management multilingual websites usually have the language as primary folder (en, es, fr, de,...).

Anne

Dyin
10-25-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm learning lots here! Thanks, Anney....we will definately be referring back to all this and for sure appreciate everyone's offer of help!

Pat Isaac
10-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions, and we will certainly be working on it. I like the idea of a flag next to the name. :)

Pat

lgol27
04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
I have thought about an addition to the OPS site. I think we need a new section, describing what's going on right now. For example it is pretty difficult to a new person to find information about members' show. There is no info on calls for works of holidays, Spring, etc.

Just a suggestion.

CarlyHardy
04-30-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks Leonid,
I've often wondered if we shouldn't have something about the show on the front page of the site. Members get the alert for the newsletter each month and all the information about the show is posted there, but I'm sure visitors to the site could overlook the newsletter thinking that it doesn't include information about shows.

Thanks for the suggestion!
carly