PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Assignment 2 Swirling colors S&T

SuzyQ
10-12-2004, 02:51 PM
I am posting this quickly for all you eager beavers. Your assignment isn't due until tomorrow but I won't get to be online until later in the morning. I just wanted to let you shine!

Smidgen
10-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Shoot I hope I have a connection tomorrow! Here is what I have done so far. Too early, but I don't trust my computer (s) at this moment. If I have a connection and can do more I will. I dread getting stuck with a night of computer repair or worst...reformating. #^$*@&^*$&Q#

Ok a note about the handmade round tab....I dropped the bugger. Yes, that is a crack. After all the work, I will be darned if that will stop me from showing it. Just can't do anything with it. Circular filed. I wanted to play with some frit swirl but that may not happen...

smidge

NitroGal78
10-12-2004, 04:48 PM
These are just all my leftovers, shorts, etc. I just picked up hunks with a rod of white, and squeezed them together for a little while.
Lisa

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2004/25526-375bb.jpg

Ladyhoss67
10-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Ok, here is a days worth of playing.

1rst bead is ivory with copper green and turquoise stripes with rubino stripes on top of those then swirled.

2cnd is a pendant shape that is ivory base with periwinkle,baby blue,and intense black swirled

3rd is a mini vessel ivory base with periwinkle,black,pink swirled. The rim is periwinkle with swirled black dots.

last 2 beads are just a bunch of swirled colors and the shape is swirled.

LOL, thats a lot of swirling.

Smidgen
10-12-2004, 08:12 PM
ok computers are working...network adapter was not well.

This wasn't the effect I was trying for because it I guess I didn't swirl it it enough...the beads aren't clean either (sorry). The tiny beads are just there for looks. The glass is uroboros (sp). Again, sorry I cannot tell you the colors because I ordered a sample pack and it came unmarked. I wanted to make something "softer". Long night. Photo isn't too spiffy.

Smidge

Dawnt0721
10-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Ooh I love this idea! I found the thread from the last challenge this morning and am sooo looking forward to participating. I have a question about 'the rules'. I knew how to make fizzy beads (a la baking soda) but I have been trying rather unsuccessfully to make swirly beads. So with this challenge is it up to us to find instruction to do it or can we ask for some suggestions or tutorials (I did a search for swirling colors but didn't really find what I was looking for)? Also, is this a weekly thing?

Thanks so much for all the newbie help and encouragement!
Dawn

Llama Girl
10-13-2004, 06:48 AM
Great beads everybody!!!

I haven't had time to do anything new for the last month or so (that whole 'school' and 'work' thing get in the way...don't these people know i have BEADS to make?!?!) so I'm posting a couple of pics of some beads I did a little while ago. When I saw the subject for this show and tell, how could I resist?

The first one is made of 4 (yup, only 4) colors - bright red (sorry, I'm horrible when it comes to specifics on the numbers/names), lapis blue, shimmering yellow, and a dark green.

Then next is a custom green set I did for one of the lurkers here on this site - come out, come out, wherever you are, Mary) using the shimmering yellow, three differents greens and casing in light green.

The next 2 are of the same bead (front and back) using 4 colors - shimmering yellow, bright green, lapis blue and dark red. I'm totally smitten over this bead.

The last is of another 4 color bead - the same combo as the one previous to it. (just goes to show how the different swirling patterns/how deep the glass is mixed can change the look of the bead).

All of these were made using the same method - putting the glass lengthwise onto a base bead, melting, deeply raking, and then casing. Far and away, my favorite beads to make - I never know what they'll look like until the come out of the blanket.

Toodles for now,
Shannon

Smidgen
10-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Pretty....
Reminds me of Malachite...with more ooomph! I still have a fear factor sticking a probe in the glass. I did little heart designs in my beads and was very proud of my "daring". However, I ruined a few really nice balanced beads. I still need to work on knowing the characteristics of the flame and the glass.

smidge

Bazile
10-13-2004, 09:20 AM
Here are mine.

What I did was first make stringer in the background color. The blue ones I just mixed cobalt with sky blue lightly in the flame and pulled stinger. Then made a cobalt base bead and spiraled on the stringer and melted in. The next ones are Ivory with red brown frit. I made stringer by heating my ivory rod and dipping in the frit and then heating and dipping until I had a nice size gather then pulled stringer. Then swirled that on an ivory base bead. The last two are Mosaic green stringer made by putting stripes mosaic green on to an ivory rod and then pulling into stringer being careful not to twist. There are two of each on an ivory base and a mosaic green base.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2004/33717-DSC01025.JPG

SuzyQ
10-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Wonderful job ladies!

Bazille - I think I like the white with mosaic green ones best.

Dawn - I am trying to make this a weekly thing but don't hold me to it, the holidays are coming..... :) Yes the idea is to search the forum for your answers. But this one was left wide open to interpretation. Well, actually all of them are. They are just suppose to make you stretch and learn.

Shannon - Yours are gorgeous! I can tell you like to make these.

Smidge! Relax honey. Almost all my beads are awful right now. If it were easy it wouldn't a worthwhile endeavor, right? Did you learn something? That is what this about and we'll get there if we just keep plodding along.

Lisa, those are quite interesting. What a great idea to use your scraps.

O.K. here are my attempts. And the link to the next assignment. Hopefully it will be helpful for more than me :) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222421

Smidgen
10-13-2004, 10:36 AM
:) Hmmm I must be giving off cyber-vibes....that wasn't intended. I juggle a full plate at times but really not here. I am really happy with my progress and what I am learning. I am not unhappy with my beads, some I think look pretty good, I have only been doing this for a little over a week. I am sure given a year or so, I will really have something to show off! Until that time I get to just learn. Afterall, this is art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

:) Smidge

jowell
10-13-2004, 11:05 AM
:cat: This has has got to be the funnest technique of all! No dots, no stringer control, no bubbles, and especially no encasing. I loved it.

The first one is 214 Nile green base w/ 408 lemon yellow and Black swirled around center.

The 2nd is a light sky blue base w/ cobalt lines then swirled using drk ivory(this is fast becoming my favorite color)

Jo L.

SuzyQ
10-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Jo. L. That is so funny! It really stressed me out! I wanted them to look just right and I couldn't control what I got! Gee, do you think I am a control freak?!

HOLIDAYLADY
10-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Here are my "Swirley" beads. I really enjoyed this challenge. So did DH. He even let me put one of his up. :D second pic is DH's.

Rose Leslie
10-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Here are mine. Hope they turned out on the photo. :clap:

amealer
10-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Here are some of my "swirly" beads, some individual, some are sets:

First is a black and sky blue (?) set requested by one of my coworkers as a gift for someone. I will also do a couple of small donuts for earrings.

Next is a variety of beads done over the last week, some good, some not so good. This is certainly a good way to experiment with color combinations!

Last is a set made with black beads with white dots partially melted in, then red dots stacked on, then melted in to the point of molten, moving glass, then the mandrel turned to create the swirls, then rounded up and finished.

Allen

SuzyQ
10-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Isn't it just amazing what we come up with? I love the variety and I dare say, we are getting a little bit better :)

Beadsomine
10-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Ok, here is a days worth of playing.

1rst bead is ivory with copper green and turquoise stripes with rubino stripes on top of those then swirled......

LOL, thats a lot of swirling.

I just love that 1st bead it is gorgeous!!!! The swirls are perfect! Are you sure you are a newbie? Just kidding, but really! They are all very nice!!!!

Kristen

Ladyhoss67
10-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Kristen thank you for that. If you were here I would give it to you . Its very crooked. The swirls are easy to do ,its geting them straight is whats hard.

I have been playing with glass on my hothead for a little over 6 months. But with 4 kids and a husband I don't get alot of time to *P*P*P*. I feel sooo guilty to play with glass if they are home and during the day while they are at school/work, half of that time I have to clean or cook. I need more hours in the day so I CAN play!!!

Anyway, I did get to play a little today while watching Dr. Phil.

The first set is just black and white swirled
The others are blues /yellow/red swirled and the last is white and blue adventrine swirled
They are all squeezed in my CBS(beginning to LOVE this tool)

Kim

bonnybeads
10-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Wow - what a lot of great beads!! I especially like the custom green ones Shannon did and the contrast with the black and blue on Allen's - but they are all awesome! :clap:

Ok - I think I took this assignment down another path :D ...

I made one cosmic swirl bead (Passing the Flame, pages 91-93!) It turned out to be my favorite so I took two pics! The base of this is an opaque brown, with ivory, silver and a translucent brown on top (amber?).

The other 3 were my attempts to swirl melted dots! I liked the way the red and gray turned out - fun color combo... hmmm... now that I'm looking at my diet coke can, maybe I subconsciously like those colors because I drink so much diet coke!! :p

Bonnie

Lunesse
10-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Ooo cosmic swirl! My book is hopefully enroute in the post somewhere, I can see what you were learning from! These are all so neat! And so different. Mine are quite different, I think, the assignment said open to interpretation. I haven't tried raking or anything yet... so:

Here's my first attempt at a long bead, a swirl of dots, well, I thought it looked like they were swirling along the bead, and helped me try to get better at not shaking and putting them where I want 'em...kinda. And the dark blue one is way too subtle, but there's bullseye white in there in a line, with twistie swirls here and there...

mobility
10-13-2004, 11:31 PM
My pics are terrible, as usual...

Two shots of the same two beads with ivory, opaque brown, med. amber and silvered ivory stringer, encased in clear. They look WAY WAY better in person-- I was shocked that I had made such pretty beads when I took them out of the kiln!

SuzyQ
10-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Bonnie, that is so pretty! Cosmic swirl huh? I think I need this book. Oh Santa?

Lunesse, that is a perfect little round spacer on the bottom! No fair getting a jump on the next assignment.... :)

Mobility, those are pretty! What a yummy color combination.

SilverReflections
10-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Hi everyone,

Decided to jump in with these assignments, I certainly need the practice. I just saw these posts so I am going to have to try the baking soda beads but as for swirls thats about all I can do right now. These were done over the last few weeks, but are swirled by gravity. I love how everyone's interpretation of swirling colors is different, along with color combos I haven't thought to try. And, as Jo pointed out - no dots, no stringer control ... what could be better :evil: .

These are mainly a couple of frits swirled by gravity on a base of opal yellow with silver or periwinkle with Rubino. (ignore my attempts at the florals, still working on those techniques, I've been taking pictures at work so this is all I have tonight).

Have to say, I love those ivory swirl beads Robin, they remind me of the marble I want for my kitchen countertops (in my dreams anyway :) ).

Tina

SuzyQ
10-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Nice!
I can't believe how many Maine lampworkers there are on this forum! I grew up in Augusta, and moved to PA from Cape Elizabeth a couple of years ago. You all make me homesick....

SilverReflections
10-14-2004, 10:47 PM
Nice!
I can't believe how many Maine lampworkers there are on this forum! I grew up in Augusta, and moved to PA from Cape Elizabeth a couple of years ago. You all make me homesick....

We just had a meeting of northern New Englanders and I couldn't believe how many there were either. But ... I actually grew up in Pittsburg PA! I came to Maine by way of college, went back to PA (Hershey) for grad school and then moved back to Maine. Where in PA are you? I must say, I miss the spring (but not the heat and humidity), the shops, and the restaurants from down there. As you know, you can't there from here (can't you just hear that Maine accent? It still cracks me up when I hear someone with a strong accent :) . Man, now I'm becoming homesick for some Pittsburgese- my Mom had a shirt with all of the slang used in Pittsburg, wish I had that.

Tina