PDA

View Full Version : Before and after WC!

jbitzel
10-12-2004, 01:12 PM
I though it would be fun for us beginners to post our work before and after coming here. Well here are mine. :wave: :wave: :wave:

Mybubblewall
10-12-2004, 01:21 PM
I though it would be fun for us beginners to post our work before and after coming here. Well here are mine. :wave: :wave: :wave:
What a great idea! We all learn so much from each other but rarely look back to our beginnings. When I get home from work, I'll search for my befores :wink2:

damar
10-12-2004, 02:33 PM
Wow--you're fishing for brave souls! LOL... :D

ErthAnngel
10-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Wow! Goregous dog, and what improvement is shown. This was a great idea, as it gives true newbies like myself some hope! :clap:

Charlie's Mum
10-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Verrrrry brave of you James - but such humengous (think I just made that up!) advances made. Well started here!!!!!!

Anyone else want to add to the thread - no nastiness allowed!!!! :wink2: :D :D

damar
10-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Ah C'mon y'all! I'm chicken--want to see a few more before I post my "suffering with acrylics" pics! :p

ExpressiveAngie
10-12-2004, 08:41 PM
first acrylic - beginning of the year: :p :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2004/29518-Cnv0212.jpg
latest: :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2004/29518-Independence_Day.jpg

jbitzel
10-12-2004, 09:34 PM
Wow! Angie that is a good one..... still waiting for more brave souls. :wave:

HRH Goldie
10-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Excellent improvement for the both of you - in fact its unbelievable really!
Well done. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Christine

Tridun
10-13-2004, 12:04 PM
Since I've been posting since I've begun painting, all my earlier work is here on WC! for all to see but..... I wish my earlier posts would disappear sometimes!! You are brave!!!!

Very happy to see how that dog turned out, I was looking for it, and it's stunning!!! :clap:

Patricia

Yokovich
10-14-2004, 01:41 AM
you know I KNEW there was a good reason to keep the two paintings that I recently tossed--gawd they were so terrible (and yes they were acrylic too!) one was a pathetic muddy rose and the other were two floating fruit. Well, I am sure I have something else --oh yes--! tomorrow I might have to post my strange "whale" lol--yeah, let me find the whale. :) great idea for a thread!
(pastelma and candie--great improvements!)

Marty C
10-14-2004, 02:08 AM
OK, I'm game.
The first is the first wave I ever did, just before joining WC in 2002.
The second was finished about four weeks ago.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2004/16809-Teahupoo1.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2004/16809-Jolly_Frog_Jetty_Final1.jpg

Mike Finn
10-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Well the very first few are long gone...I think they are building houses on them now. But this self portrait is one I kept.... dunno why, and in watercolour about six months ago. And these are the last four efforts in acrylic. WC has a lot to answer for..... keeping me awake at nights, financing the art shops new Mercedes, carpet cleaning bills etc etc.

Mike Finn

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2004/41667-blank.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2004/41667-example.jpg

HRH Goldie
10-14-2004, 04:10 AM
Loll Mike - Do you always paint naked?? :evil:
If so watch where you get those cad colour dribbles! Toxic don't you know! :wink2:

Christine

jbitzel
10-14-2004, 12:43 PM
WOW! thats impressive Marty. :clap: I want to see more now.... it's nothing to be embarrased about, it's showing you accomplished something, that you showed that blank canvas your A-game. :wave: James

ExpressiveAngie
10-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Loll Mike - Do you always paint naked?? :evil:
If so watch where you get those cad colour dribbles! Toxic don't you know! :wink2:

Christine
u r incorrigible :p

jonesbf
10-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Impressive improvement, James. What was the timeframe between those two paintings?

I just started here so I don't have any before and afters yet. My current work is on my web site.

jbitzel
10-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Impressive improvement, James. What was the timeframe between those two paintings?

Thank you!! I'm estatic that you think I have improved, it gives us all hope. The first was done in late august so it's been less than 2 months. :wave: James

HRH Goldie
10-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Marty - Thank you for having the guts to post. :clap: :clap: :clap:
It probably sounds a real weird thing to say but I was so pleased to see your first wave. :D It gives me hope that one day I can paint water at least in a reasonable way. I still battle with it but long to capture the raw energy and unyielding power of the sea. I guess it gets under you skin when you live beside it doesnt it?
I joined March this year and you are painting like that in under two years! Guess I have a lot of learning to cram in over the coming months.
Just one question if I may - Are you self taught or did you have any tutoring at all?
BTW Your WIPS and comprehensive instructions have been a real interest and I have picked up at least a couple of tips that I wouldn't have otherwise dreamt of. To share your knowledge like this in an informative way shows a certain unselfishness in your character - a wonderful trait. :clap: :wave:
I look forward to many more.

Christine

jbitzel
10-14-2004, 11:26 PM
To share your knowledge like this in an informative way shows a certain unselfishness in your character - a wonderful trait. :clap: :wave:
I look forward to many more.

Christine

I agree, I no of no one that is more deserving of moderator. :wave:

by the way, still looking for brave souls.... :wave:

Marty C
10-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Just one question if I may - Are you self taught or did you have any tutoring at all?
Christine
Self taught all the way. Although WC has taught me a lot, that's for sure.

gnu
10-15-2004, 04:28 PM
my first flower shortly after joining here in Feb 2002..
epiphyllum..18 x 12" canvas panel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/7242-IMG_0371epiphyllum_sm.jpg
my latest painting, last month..also flowers!
I now use a knife and usually work bigger as well, this one is 20 x 24", gallery wrap

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/7242-IMG_8133_sunflowers_sm.jpg
I still like texture and colour :D:D

Lady Carol
10-15-2004, 04:39 PM
This was my first after a very long hiatus from painting. I painted this August 2001. It is a watercolour 6X8 inches if that.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/11811-lilly-4.jpg

And my latest completed one of about 2 weeks ago 18X24

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/11811-conway-lorikeet.jpg

busy91
10-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Marty C Wow, you really grew. the water is awesome.

Mike Finn your use of color in your newer work is wonderful.

Hi gnu, long time no see. your latest flowers really pop out.
Gosh it seems my long discriptions have vanished!

The first one was done in 1986 it is on 16x20 canvas board.
The second was done early 2004 on canvas paper.

As you can see they are different subjects, and since I'm not an acrylic painter, I cannot see much of an improvement. I've painted only 5 acrylics in those 18 years.

HRH Goldie
10-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Gill - I bet you will always be proud of that first one but oh my word those sunflowers IMO are better than old VG's. The texture brings them alive and the colours are lovely and fresh.
I really don't think I should post mine yet as it doesn't resemble much! lol :wink2:
You know that rare moment when the lightbulb comes on in your head and you can see a painting in your mind from start to finish. With me anyway these moments are rare; I was just trying to get the darks in first at college and they looked like a toilet accident. The others who hadn't painted like this were bemused when they looked at mine as they didn't know where I was going with it. So I stopped with the browns and started overlaying colour and they started to glimpse where I was coming from (I hope). Everyone elses you could see instantly what they were painting, maybe I have gone too far to the other side. But this is a learning curve so it's okay I suppose if its not right. I can always go back to the painstaking stuff lol.

Carol That lily is absolutely lovely :clap: I don't think you've shown us before. So is the parrot and shows your handling of the brush and paint very well. It looks as if it has taken forever to do. (Okay I know it's not a parrot but can't think of the name lol). Could always call it an oversized rainbow dipped sparrow :evil: :wave:

Christine

HRH Goldie
10-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Liz I think you can tell lol! There is nothing wrong with your painting technique just needs fine tuning and practice. 5 in 18 years is minimal practice lol! :clap:
I don't know what style you use in other mediums but if you were going for more realism in your work, it is easier as my Guide and guru would say " It's always easier to start from a good drawing and have good drawing skills". The paint then works around that and enhances it. The vase would benefit from a slight alteration on the rim but also watch the symmetry. Hope you don't mind me saying that, I am trying to draw fizzy brown pop bottles - you know the ones and those funny grooves and indents are proving horrendous so I put it away for a couple of days. It wasn't until I looked back at it that I realised that the symmetry was out on a couple of them and it really looked weird. Will have to buy more pop as with teenagers in the house those ones have long gone lol.
A thought though there are many paintings hanging in galleries all over the world of famous artists who just painted what they wanted with disregard to correctness, so I suppose it is what you want to achieve that counts. :D :wave:

Christine

Mybubblewall
10-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Here are my before and afters.

The first was painted in 1999, one of my first acrylic paintings, while I vacationed on Vancouver Island, BC.
The second was painted Feb,2004 while going through a turbulent time in my life.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/9562-bamoon.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2004/9562-bapie.jpg

jbitzel
10-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Alright now they are pouring in. Carol cheated she was good before... lol :wave:

jbitzel
10-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Here are my before and afters.

The first was painted in 1999, one of my first acrylic paintings, while I vacationed on Vancouver Island, BC.
The second was painted Feb,2004 while going through a turbulent time in my life.

That second one I am sure Dali himself would like. good job :wave: James

busy91
10-15-2004, 05:40 PM
HRH Goldie, I do appreciate your comments.

I handle a pencil much better than I do a brush, and I did the 2nd from still life, which is also a new thing for me.

I know the vase is funky! LOL! But luckily I did it on cheap paper that I didn't feel so bad about it. I haven't painted another acrylic since then, I don't know why.

I've taken a hiatus, but am getting back into it all. I might just be inspired to paint another acrylic. Now if I could just get my digicam to work.

HRH Goldie
10-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Crystal I had to laugh I was going to say your work was so like Dali it was uncanny then when I opened your profile - I saw your quote!
Guess that is your aim lol!
Fantastic how you have developed your skills from where they were. So much so that it would almost appear impossible. I have to ask if you had teaching or not? To get to this level you must have been to college or something - surely? :D

Christine

Mybubblewall
10-15-2004, 06:48 PM
That second one I am sure Dali himself would like. good job James
Crystal I had to laugh I was going to say your work was so like Dali it was uncanny then when I opened your profile - I saw your quote!
Guess that is your aim lol!
Fantastic how you have developed your skills from where they were. So much so that it would almost appear impossible. I have to ask if you had teaching or not? To get to this level you must have been to college or something - surely? :D

Christine
Ok now I'm about a million shades of red :o cadmium :o alizarin :o madder... lol! Thank you guys for the great compliments.

Christine, yep, I'm a big fan of Dali. His work and writing constantly remind me that there are no limits. Just when I thought I have gone far enough, he shows me that I've barely begun.
As for being taught, I have to say that no, I haven't. I took art class in high school but it was nothing more than 'draw something and hand it in'. Since then, I've just been learning on my own. I have taken a short drawing class but that was after this painting was completed. WC has taught me so much (as you can see) and I'm so incredibly glad that I found it!

Oh, and by the way, I feel I'm on the verge of another artistic breakthrough, so watch and see if I can pull it off :eek: :wink2:

gnu
10-15-2004, 07:40 PM
(((((((((((((((((LIZ)))))))))))))))))) :wave: :wave: :wave: :clap: :clap:
SOOOOOOO nice to see you!!! :wave: :wave: you are one person I've never forgotten, I just KNOW we'd get on like a house on fire..
Where are you hanging out on WC?
Thanks for your lovely comments..I did like doing those flowers..
Yes your second pic is MUCH easier to make out(just like mine is!)
I've always wanted to try the slanty look with applying colour..any tips for us? perhaps a WIP?
WOW Christine, it took me a whole minute of thinking to realise you meant Van GOGH!! :eek: I am very flattered, 'cos I LOVE VG he's always been my fave painter..
we'll see what the judge thinks at the Competition coming up..he's a curator and writer of books on artist etc..(the famous ones :eek: )
one week to go..I find out next Friday..must remember to take my art there on MONDAY..wow, almost forgot...

gnu
10-15-2004, 07:45 PM
please bear in mind I'm NOT a Dali fan..I do understand he was pushin concepts and boudaries and that's good..
I aggree your later painting is Streaks ahead, Crystal,the mono/limited plaette works well.. :clap: :clap:
now you all got us curious..HINT HINT..breakthrough?? hope you're going to share it at the right time..

Artguy29
10-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Here is my "before & after". The first was one of my first attempts at acrylics, completed about a month before joining WC!. The second was completed just a few weeks ago.

Dave

Johnnie
10-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Alright now they are pouring in. Carol cheated she was good before... lol :wave:

Hi James

Yea she likes to be at the top of the Pile!!! :wink2: LOL :wink2:

Johnnie

Bioartist
10-18-2004, 01:26 AM
candienjames - this is a remarkable difference, and defintiely testoment to just how important WetCanvas is to many. (Hay, the moderators could use your 'before' and 'after' as an ad for WetCanvas :wink2: )
Stacey

Bioartist
10-18-2004, 01:37 AM
PastelMama - WOW, great changes and beautiful use of colour.
Stacey

busy91
10-18-2004, 12:48 PM
(((((((((((((((((LIZ)))))))))))))))))) :wave: :wave: :wave: :clap: :clap:
SOOOOOOO nice to see you!!! :wave: :wave: you are one person I've never forgotten, I just KNOW we'd get on like a house on fire..
Where are you hanging out on WC?
Thanks for your lovely comments..I did like doing those flowers..
Yes your second pic is MUCH easier to make out(just like mine is!)
I've always wanted to try the slanty look with applying colour..any tips for us? perhaps a WIP?

I've been all over the forum lately, but I haven't been here for a while. As for the slanty look, I didn't realize that it had a name. :D I just applied the paint in layers diagonally and going darker as I added layers. Sort of trying to give it a reflective quality...but I know I need help. LOL!

Phranque
10-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Carol That lily is absolutely lovely :clap: I don't think you've shown us before. So is the parrot and shows your handling of the brush and paint very well. It looks as if it has taken forever to do. (Okay I know it's not a parrot but can't think of the name lol). Could always call it an oversized rainbow dipped sparrow :evil: :wave:

Christine

Actually, it is a parrot, a rainbow lorikeet to be exact. Any bird that has both a hooked bill and two toes forward, two back (on each foot) is a parrot. That includes budgies, cockatiels, macaws, cockatoos, conures........

Nice to see everyone's progress. Here is one of my early ones, and one of my latest.

HRH Goldie
10-18-2004, 10:07 PM
2 lovely paintings but my favourite has to be the sunflower and grey. Lovely colour contrast :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bioartist
10-19-2004, 10:27 AM
Marty C - this is a remarakable couple of paintings, I like them both and think maybe WC has helped you to fine tune your work, because you were still amazing before :D
Stacey

Marty C
10-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Marty C - this is a remarakable couple of paintings, I like them both and think maybe WC has helped you to fine tune your work, because you were still amazing before :D
Stacey
Hi Stacey,
The first is very rough and is now junk. I didn't think I had much of a future in art after finishing it and was at the "will I keep going or throw it all in?" stage.
Anyway, I thought I would have another go at a wave, see if I could do something reasonable and decide after that. Below is the second wave. I still have it, although I did have offers for it. I will always keep it as it is a special (to me ) painting, which says to me "I am the first, remember me, I am where your journey in art begins".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2004/16809-G-Land1.jpg

Bioartist
10-20-2004, 01:29 AM
Mike Finn - WOW, what a difference between the before and after....you can only continue to excel. :clap: :clap:
Stacey

busy91
10-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Artguy29, I can see definate improvement. I see you use more paint and bolder movement now. Do you know how many paintings you have done between joining and now?

Artguy29
10-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Busy91,

I'd say I've done at least 30 paintings since joining.

Dave