PDA

View Full Version : New Caricature

Art_man
10-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been on in awhile but I've been busy with school and everything. I also have been working hard on improving my caricature skills. Here's my latest with the reference photo. Please, comments, feedback, and suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks,
Ricky :)

Axl
10-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Hey i was wondering about you the other day ^.^ glad to see you back

Art_man
10-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey Axl,

How are you? I've been studying hard for my MCAS (Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System) test. This is kind of like SATs. In Massachusetts, if I fail this test, I cannot graduate. The good part is I can take it right up until my Senior year. The problem is - if I fail, I have to keep taking it every year. This is the first year I'm taking it and I want to pass it this year so that I don't have to worry about it. I've decided that I want to go to the School of the Museum of Fine Arts here in Massachusetts. I have lots of new stuff that I'm working on. I'm hoping to post at some point this week.

Thanks,

Axl
10-12-2004, 11:46 PM
ahhha! goodluck on your exam! Gods i'm glad we didnt have to do anything like that when we graduated from school. Sounds a bit crazy.

The school of museum of fine arts, where is that located?

is it close or in boston? I havent been to boston in ages. I must come back sometime. my fav band is from there :o anyways its great to see you again! i like the changes you made from the reference image to the drawing. I think its important that artists learn how to not... be such slave to their references! Its good to have the flexibility and creativity and visualization skills to not just work with a reference, but build on one like that. Its a handy tool to have!

I'm about to post some school work for last minute C n C too. Aye. Looking forward to seeing yours.

TedDawson
10-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Hey, I like this... it has a real contemporary feel to it.

Art_man
10-13-2004, 05:08 PM
Thanks Axl. I had a 3.92 grade point average during my freshman year. I would have gotten a 4.0 but I bombed on an algebra test which brought my grade to a A-. The School of the Museum of Fine Arts is in Boston. I found out that I have to do an essay, have at least 20 pieces in a portfolio, not including the 4 mandatory portraits and still life pieces that are required. The tuition to the school is $ 22,490.00 for full-time studio 15.0 credit hours. I'm hoping to getting a scholarship.

Ted, thank you. I really appreciate the encouragement. I hope to post more later.

Thanks,

coolray
10-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Ricky,

It seems as if you have a workload on ya just to get ready for better things ahead. Congrats.

I like the way you handled this piece. I have of course been following your work, and you keep on impoving. I would have loved to see the drawing head on though, It's a bit skewed.

Just for fun I would have kept the hands up there around the glasses to add to the fun of the picture.

You are definately coming along nicely!

Glad you're back!

Terry

jojo5185
10-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Ricky-

How's it going? I just joined this a few days ago and I was browsing through and saw that you're looking into the SMFA. I go to MassArt, right across the street. Have you looked into that school at all? What major do you plan on pursuing... illustration?

--What's cool about MassArt is that they are part of a consortium called ProArts (you probably already know this) - check it out, there are 4 or 5 different schools involved www.proarts.org - anyways what I'm trying to say is that if you go to MassArt you can still take classes at the SMFA through their cross-registration program, yet you'll still only be paying MassArt tuition which is about 6200 including fees. It's definitely worth looking into if money is an issue. It sure has been for me. Don't get me wrong, SMFA is a great school with plenty to offer, especially if you know exactly what you want to be studying.

As for the MCAS, try not to sweat it - it's practically impossible to fail them. I was the first class that had to pass the MCAS in order to graduate (class of 03) and out of 200 kids only 1 or 2 people had to take them over. You'll be fine. You mentioned scholarships, look into MCAS scholarships offered by the state of Mass. I know that if you get advanced on both the English and Math that state colleges like Umass can offer you free tuition. Also check out www.scholastic.com - you've probably been involved with the scholastic art awards and they also offer scholarships, there are a bunch of others I know of if you are interested... it could be something worth looking into :)

Bye for now, good luck with everything

Joanna

LarrySeiler
10-21-2004, 02:48 PM
my first reaction is...I think you're startin' to catch on to this thing!!!

keep it up!

Larry