PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Thrills....

stxbeads
10-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Know what you get when you mix cracked beads, copper wire and beer? Cheap Thrills! (the beer helps with the thinking outside the box part)

I sold a bunch of these yesterday at my favorite beach bar here on the island for $5 each. They're fan pull thingies....I dubbed them "Cheap Thrills" because they were cracked beads on stripped electrical wire. Everyone loved them, no one cared that the beads were cracked....paid for my burger and beer for the afternoon.

Just wanted to pass on the idea.....

Beth Myers
10-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Very smart and creative!!!
B~ :D

snootyvixen
10-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I like them!!!

Now I need some copper wire *sigh* .... something else to add to the list LOL!!!!

Vikki

gwacie
10-11-2004, 08:18 PM
I like them!!!

Now I need some copper wire *sigh* .... something else to add to the list LOL!!!!

Vikki

Vikki - it's electrical wire - pull it out of your wall, it's free!! (kidding)

Nice fun little way to get a free meal - good on ya!

Elena
10-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Right on,I am thrilled to see someone else using copper! I am a red head so copper is my favorite! Kudos to you to for recycling,,both ways.

mobility
10-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Coaxial cable (the kind that cable TV uses) is also copper and is a pretty versatile weight-- if you have any of that laying around, use an x-acto knife to cut the covering off and WOOHOO! free copper! :D

Alternatively, you can buy any weight copper wire you want from any hardware store for a buck a foot or sometimes much less... just cut the coating off. I use it for mobiles all the time! If you want it to stay bright, just use some clear spray sealant (Blair is the best and you can get it at any art supply store but any clear spray sealant/varnish will work) on it after you have shaped it and it won't tarnish.

CarolinaDreamDesigns
10-12-2004, 07:28 AM
Now I have to go back and find my cracked beads if my daughter hasn't scarfed them up!

Thanks!

Martha

dogsrlove
10-12-2004, 10:53 AM
So what happens after "last call"?

Really though, very clever- I like 'em!

Vanessa

ToniaE
10-13-2004, 12:01 AM
~ Great idea for those beads that have just been tossed to the side!!

~ I think they would make great additions to the holiday tree !!

~ Now I have to go find my orphaned beads that my daughter has adopted!

Smiles,
Tonia

stxbeads
10-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Ohhh!!! I hadn't even thought about using them as tree ornaments!!! I live it...I can see it now...the Christmas Edition of Cheap Thrills!

The wire that was used is something called Diamond Handiwire that I got at the local hardware store. It's just electrical wire, flat white plastic comes in a red box, 25' and I gave $8.00 for it, heaven knows it's probably 1/2 that in the real world. You take a knife and slit the white outside cover and pull it back. There are three wires inside, white, black and a bare one. In the world of electricity that's the hot wire (black) the neutral (white) and the ground (bare copper). I cut the wire to a manageable length before I start stripping, 25 feet is a bit much to work with. Then I just take the two covered wires and lay them on the tile floor and run an exacto along them just skimming the coating....don't worry if it jumps and skipps a bit, once you get started pulling it won't matter. Pull the coating back and pull like crazy. The wire will slip right out of the coating. I look at the bare wire as the bonus..no work to use it!

Then bend away....and like someone said spray it with a clear coating and it won't darken. I use clear acrylic also from the hardware store...there is no real art supply place here...it's the hardware store, K-Mart or the Internet!

If you need fine wire, telephone wire is great. same proceedure to use it, cut the tan coating pull the wires out and use the exacto on the...careful not to cut through them though, they're pretty small.

Thanks for the Christmas ornament idea! I cracked a really pretty bead with a bright red center this morning peeking at it a little too long....so I think it will become the center of a zig-zag wire Christmas Tree....

Smidgen
10-13-2004, 11:06 AM
very cool!

tulips
10-13-2004, 02:06 PM
I think they look like fabulous earrings!

Paul Katherman
10-13-2004, 11:25 PM
I am an electrician and I am swimming in copper wire. Well not really swimming in it that might hurt . There is a lot of scrap left over and I have yet to think of such a great way to use it . I love burgers and beer!!!!!!!!

Tattoodfreek Paul

beer and burger buyers (http://stores.ebay.com/Tattoodfreeks-Pendants-and-Beads)