PDA

View Full Version : which colors...

Patrick1
10-31-2001, 05:10 AM
Since the 'color mixing experiment' thread got bogged down, here's a new, more fun topic. I want to know which pigment you think best defines a certain hue. For instance, which blue
do you consider to be the 'truest' blue...the blue in which you see no green and no purple. And for the secondaries, which one in your eyes best epitomizes that color, or is the most 'halfway' in between the primaries...not the necessarilty the same thing, but it's up to you.

I don't want this to be too technical...just go by what your eyes tell you. We all see colors differently, which is exactly my point. Please only list pigments or mixtures that you have actually used or have an actual color sample of.

-yellow?

-red/rose/magneta?

-blue/cyan?

-orange?

-green?

-violet/purple?

Here's my picks:

yellow: bismuth vanadate yellow (from Liquitex...I believe most other brands are far more greenish)

red/rose/magenta: quinacridone red/rose, PV19 (I see orange in most most other warmer reds)
Alizarin crimson might ge a good choice, but I never used it yet

blue/cyan: phthalo blue red shade...I see a bit of purple in cobalt blue

orange: definitely real cadmium orange

green: phthalo green (yellow shade) or
something a bit more yellowish, like permanent green light

violet/purple: dioxazine purple or something a tiny bit more reddish

Einion
11-02-2001, 12:15 AM
Complex question in some respects but I think it comes down to what one 'sees' as the psychological unique colours. For me this means the colours I can't see a leaning or bias in.

So FWIW, considering nothing but the hue in masstone, my choices:
Yellow - Bismuth Vanadate, PY184, is a very strong contender along with some varieties of Cadmium Yellow Light, PY35.
Red - Pyrrole Red, PR254, is definitely my top pick, with some examples of Cadmium Red Medium, PR108, a close second. Quin Rose is way too violet to me, ditto with Ali Crimson.
Blue - generally Cobalt Blue, PB28, although some examples are slightly violet.
Orange - Cadmium Orange, PO20.
Green - a mix of Azo Yellow Light, PY3, and Phthalo Green BS, PG7, about 8:1 (obviously a mix with PG36 would give the same result using less yellow).
Violet - a mix of Diox Purple, PV23RS, and Quinacridone Violet, PV19, about 2:1.

Einion

Patrick1
11-02-2001, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Einion

... For me this means the colours I can't see a leaning or bias in.

That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I neglected to mention that, for colors with different hues in masstone and undertone (I guess many colors are like this)...consider both the masstone and the undertone you get by applying the color thinly or scrubbing, (not by adding white). Just try to 'average out' its masstone and undertone as best you can.

So, as an example, say you have a blue whose masstone looks slightly purplish, and its undertone slightly greenish, I would consider that
to be a good choice for blue.