PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Break: 10/11-10/17

coolray
10-11-2004, 11:12 AM
Hey all! I've got a hot cup ready and waiting!

First off, It's raining. It hasn't rained here in nearly a month, maybe more! But I am sitting here with my french vanilla coffee, and I am happy. :) Nothing like a good hot cuppa joe to wart off the rainy chills!

*sips coffee*

Ahhhh! Now for the next bit o news. I am now (as I see by the title) your Guide for this forum! How did they get my name anyway? Heheh.

So I would like to take this time to invite you to jump in and enjoy our illustratin forum, and to look and see what is new as far as posts. Lets build this up y'all! :) I have seen in the past few years, this forum actually grow and get more active. I like that. It means we are taking a valid interest in what each of us do.

Feel free to post your works of art, and share anything of importance with the rest of us.

And this coffee break has been the best gathering place for us to get to know each other. What a wonderful thing it has been too.

I want to thank those who thought I was worthy of this position. I hope to aspire to be the best Guide I can be.
s
Well, I have more paintings to do, to complete my series of 7 religious paintings. I will be traveling a lot too, just to promote the prints that will be coming out. I'm a busy boy! But hey that's part of the game when you do this for a living.

I also continue to do logos and other commercial designs, as needed. Recently working with a Popcorn company to design their logo.

Taught some classes in the past week, and looking to tutor one on one as well.

And this is what keeps me going! :D

Well, I gotta get going and finish some more logos. Take care all, cya round the forum!

Terry

roger41
10-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Congrats Terry :clap: ........I havn't been around too much lately, very busy with work, (ya ever get pressure sores on your fingers from using a pen or pencil to long...I think I'm gonna need to wear a glove or somehow learn to draw with my left hand) :D . Ya deserve the promo...hope you do well...and I know ya will...if you are as good at this as you are at your art......the rest of us are the winners for sure :wave: good luck

Roger

Axl
10-11-2004, 04:10 PM
AHHHH Welcome!!! *g* For anyone who hasnt noticed yet, Terry will be out new guide! Welcome aboard :D

designbyjen
10-11-2004, 07:46 PM
YO YO WAZ UP!

congrats ter!

roger...after that last hurricane...i was hoping you got through it okay. hopefully not too much more water damage?? i got one of those thingys in my left index finger from this stink'in keyboard! a friend of mine had one that got to hurting a ton & he went to the doc. & poked a needle in it...guess it became like an internal blister or something. mine is like an internal callous & doesn't bug me too much. so maybe yours has got a fluid build up kinda thing?
ya, everybodys slurping coffee after that gross banter!!! sorry :eek:

i had cocoa this eve...weather is nice 4 it in my neck o' the woods.

got 2 art events to finish stuff 4 this weekend so i better do that along w/ plowing through 'mount saint laundry'. oh, if i get all that stuff done ahead of time...i'll be then working on a batman logo'd pinata. i must say...i'm getting talented at creating these. last yr. i made a 'thomas the tank engine' & b-4 that a toucan. i use rabbit skin glue & newspaper & it is pretty strong. *sigh* just too bad it gets destroyed in 5 min.!

:D jen

Fylia
10-12-2004, 03:15 AM
*sip*

(Guess I'm just the quiet type standing around and listening to what other people have to say. I just sipped to let you all know I'm still around).

Axl
10-12-2004, 08:12 AM
lol fylia!

ugggh. Too early here! I dont even have coffee. I plan on getting some when I go to school. I have a mid term this morning. The power went out last night andi guess i re-set my alarm clock wrong. It said it was 10:00 (my exam is at 10:30) but i turn on the laptop and it says 9:00. Looking at my watch conferms that it really is only 9:00. Nice. That give me an additional hour to forget about this whole horrific trainwreck which shall be my exam. lol. I think i'm going to start hanging out in the art history forum and perhaps will start to learn a thing or two....

anyways I was thiking with all this coffee and stuff going down, we should look into investing some sort of a communal coffee maker? So when we are in a rush and dont get a chance to make it at home, and we are in here and need a break it is right there, right convenient, and we can grab it. hmm.

----

For those who havent seen yet there are new stickies at the top of the forum. Shweeet. I donno what else to say about them... I'm hoping that the one geared to new forum members'll help new people come outta the closet and encourage them to participate in projects and stuff. And i hope that the informative sticky thread'll remain just that - informative. Was a lot of posts to go back through *blinx* it was kinda interesting looking... This forum has seamed to grow a lot. It is quite exciting.

But yeah. if theres anything you guys think should be added to either thread let me know, or if I overlooked some important information somewhere that should be added. Ilooked back through all the threads but I'm sure I missed a lot of good ones just because it was impossible for me to check every single one of them for content.

Anyways. since it is only 9:00 i think i'm going to go back and sleep for another 45 minutes. nice.

AFM159
10-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Wow, gone for a few days and every thing changes!

Congrats to Terry aka Coolray! Terry we got some of that rain here, too. I find it nice, as it clears the air. No rain for over a month, the dry grasses, my allergies have been killing me. Now, it's raining, and I can breath!

I've been workin some self-employment hours. 40 straight hours, Sunday night to Monday night, to meet a rush deadline. Then had to try and function at a Home Builders Association dinner, hob-nobbing with clients. Sat at a State Senators table, hopefully I was fairly coherent!

LOL-Ya'll remember the Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs is walking around in a jerking spastic way saying eeek, oook, ahh, eeekk? That was me last night before I finally went to bed!

:music: Who needs sleep? Well, you're never gonna get it? Who needs sleep? Tell me whats that for? :music:

designbyjen
10-13-2004, 09:37 AM
rain came here last night/early morn...we needed it too.

course it has to rain when i'm ready to shoot slides (murphy & his stinky law). well, normally when it's time to shoot stuff it's just windy enough to make it a pain or impossible so i find some refreshing humor outta this.

well, finally took the kids to c 'spiderman' last night---hey, had to wait till it got to the cheapo theaters...& tues. are 50cent admission! ha... now i finally get it ted....except 'responsibility' really does sound better :p

i'm really not an 'event' person. i hate the butt kissing thing too...but unfortunately that's just how things work sometimes. so dave, did you go alone or have your wife along? got any tips for a 'rather'd be anti-social' person(hmm sure don't have that problem in here LOL!)? i guess it'd be easier if i had an 'event buddy'...which i may have one soon (i have a stroke victim art mentor, that i've been encouraging in return to get back to doing art...all her stuff has been in storage since she moved in w/ her daughter...but now they will be moving to a bigger place & she'll be able to have studio space again...and i will be crack'in the art whip on her. not fun to have the art hand useless...but she's got another hand to train all that wonderful wisdom with!).

welcome fylia. have a sip for me...am cuttin back on the caffeine & sure is hard!

~~~jen

Sketch22
10-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Fall weather finally hits Louisiana!!!!

We interupt important news to bring you this phenomenon of nature.

Continue drinking your coffee.

Anyway, as I revel in the falling leaves outside my door, I also decided to stop in for some hot stuff.

Have been away from the forums for a few days. Basically depressed a bit. The job that brought me and my husband to this rural area looks like it isn't going to pan out for him. prior to this job there was over a year of unemployment for him. I quit my jobs so we could move for this one. Now we are in a worse area to look for work. Hmm. It could still work out, we shall see, no use borrowing trouble this soon.

On the lighter side, I am having fun doing another art quilt. And I am busy working on art for my portfolio too,

And in a slightly related, yet more crafty note.. I discovered how to print on fabric using my inkjet printer! It rocks.. it is a makeshift method that saves bunches of money because actual printable fabric pages cost like $13 per 3 sheets. (these are used mainly for incorporating photos into memory quilts as gifts) If anyone wants to know, it is as simple as ironing muslin fabric to freezer paper and cutting to letter size paper shape! So easy! I may be able to use it to incorporate photos and patterns in my art quilts that I couldn't do before.

Enjoy your caffine, those of you who can handle it... none for me tonight thanks!

Axl
10-13-2004, 11:12 PM
:o what an awesome idea! *boggles!*

designbyjen
10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
hey sketch...lots of opportunity here in columbus...and the house right next door to me is up for sale :wink2: hee hee
you know...i need to do a banner for my husband & i think there's a way to transfer from laser copies too. even if it didn't do the color solid...a light brush of paint over it would be a lot easier than painting it all from hand. we can get something from kinko's on vinyl for 80some bucks...guess i have to wait till the last minute & decide if i have time. i would love to experiment w/ that stuff tho.
that will add a new dimension w/ your art quilts for sure. have a blast experimenting!

the rain let up yesterday...so being the impatient person i am...i took slides yesterday. lovely mud on my tripod legs & had 2 wash my shoes. but worth it...i'd rather have the peace about something being totally done. i'll try & post it up in here later.

~~~jen

AFM159
10-14-2004, 10:03 AM
My computer is on the fritz, just lost a good post to a reboot. grrrrrrrrr :mad:

AFM159
10-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Looks like I may have to reinstall Windows, so if ya don't here from me for a few days, you'll know I'm banging my head on my desk, and may very well heave my computer off the roof! :p

Hey Sketch, hang in there, it'll work out.

jen- I usually end up at these things alone. Wife stays home to put the kids to bed. If it's a big anual event, then we'll get a babysitter and she'll go.

Yeah, a buddy would make it easier, but I don't have one for these things so I suck it up and go anyway. The best advice I can give is to go once and then keep going. It does get easier. The more you go, the more people recognize you from last time.

These things usually have a social or cocktail hour before the dinner, that's the worst part, as I usually don't mingle well. I'm as shy and introverted as anyone and I've spent lots of time trying to melt into the woodwork. (I call it 'holding the wall up') So what I've taken to doing is showing up towards the end of the social hour. I can chat with the few people and clients I know and maybe meet someone new without standing around looking lost. The dinner itself is much easier. More intimate, more one on one, which I can handle pretty well.

I'd be the first to admit, I struggle with it, but I just keep going and trying cause eventually I'll know most of the folks and will have things to talk about.

Axl
10-14-2004, 12:04 PM
7 Dead in Halifax Cargo Plane Crash (http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/10/14/plane_halifax041014.html)

In other unrelated news, My flight leaves tommorow morning at 7:30 am. I gotta get up at 3, to catch a bus at 5 to the airport.

First time flying, ever.

coolray
10-14-2004, 01:00 PM
*The rain falls gently, as the cool air seeps in through the various crevices in the house. A hot cup of frence vanilla is sitting comfortably in a printed Thomas Kincaid coffee mug. The aroma is that of a Starbucks coffee house......*

Hi all! Mmmmm! Isn't this a wonderful day to just cuddle? Heheheh. I Have been working on some small projects still, and I now have to clean the living room to set up for another painting. Boy, when I start these paintings, everything else gets put on hold.

Sketch, it sounds as if you are in need of a bit of prayer! I hope you're husband finds something soon in the way of work. I dunno much about the area down there, but if it is anything like here in Missouri, well, it could take some ground pounding to find something. But there are jobs here even, and we are a poverty county. Cheer up though, things always get better with a bit of patients.

Dave, you are having some problems there it seems. Sometimes these computers can be a pain!!!!!

Axl, be careful. Posting a link about a plane crash then saying you have a flight, just makes me want to embrace you and tell you don't go!!! But all I can do from here is just pray for you. So do have a good time, and be safe.

Well, it looks as if I may be travelling to the NY area, VT, Mass, depends on what I get done. I have to go promote my print series. This is something more than I have ever done. But I love to travel.

*sips the tasty warm beverage* Mmmm, that is nice on this rainy day.

Jen, sounds like you enjoy taking pictures! I too love taking pics. I took some last year of our fall colors. We didn't get a beautiful fall this year because of the lack of rain. Now it's raining, and the leaves are just being pounded to the ground. They changed colors like two weeks before time. Quickly too.

But!!! I am glad to be inside, and I am getting some much needed work done today. This will be a productive day! *gulp* So, I guess I should leave here and do some house work! :)

Take care all, and thanks for sitting here with me for a hot cuppa jo!

Terry

designbyjen
10-14-2004, 09:28 PM
dave, you've just described how i am too. i appreciate your experience & ways that work w/ the real you instead of forcing a plastic smile. i hate the forced fake in anything. geez...one of the things i Really should go to...cuz my art will be auctioned off...is an event that has a 'go-go' theme. i just can't bring myself to do it. heck the promo card for the event has a topless go-go dancer on it......................YA, Right. I'll pass.

axl...uh, 'happy flying' :confused:

ter...good stuff go'in on 4 ya! naw, not avid picture-taker...no real time for it...just HAVE to make room for it when doing slides 4 art. always seems that when i have room, mother nature toys w/ me.
which reminds me...i did do a digital of the latest. i call it 'transcend'. it's all in clear resin w/ blue tint & has a reflective backing...so that's why it appears more luminous. the frame was a bite to do but worth it.

okay...brain is slowly mushing here...have a good weekend everybody........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzk
~j

Sketch22
10-14-2004, 11:48 PM
A cold night in louisiana... awesome!

I just stepped out to see my breath outside and look at the starry night sky! It is beautiful. Seems like I need something warm to drink now, so I will step into the coffee room for a sec.

Jen, that is a beautiful piece! I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like it. Keep up the good work! Oh and thanks for the invite to Columbus, Actually, some friends of ours moved up there last year. Might not be a bad move.

Axl, Girl, good luck on your flight.. I really don't like flying, but as a word of encouragement, they say that one is more likely to go in a car wreck than a plane one.. :D hope that helps, tee hee.... actually, just don't worry, and it will be ok. Hope you have a great trip!

Dave, good luck with the computer, I spent about 6 months without one totally last year, because of an unknown problem with my power supply or something, and I even have a husband who fixes computers and programs as his career! (his computer kept on working fine of course)

Terry, Thanks for any prayers you might could provide. It hasn't been going well with us in the career department, It has been 4 1/2 years since college, and a tough start. Who knows what God has planned for us.

I really appreciate everyone's encouragement........ thanks.

AFM159
10-15-2004, 01:53 PM
My computer is hanging stable for the time being. I don't really want to reinstall Windows if I can avoid it, as I have rush jobs pending and can't really take the time. Now my internet connection is off and on, called tech support and got a recorded message "We are having technical difficulties that may affect your ability to access the internet, we are sorry for any inconvience.....blah, blah, blah." If it ain't one thing it's another. Ah well...... enough of that, gotta get posting before it kicks me off again.

jen- that's a sweet piece! I like the translucence. Would be cool if you could backlight it.

I love computers, really I do...... :evil: