PDA

View Full Version : Manadon House - Composition

Nitsa
10-11-2004, 08:10 AM
This is the house portrait I will be painting.
The client had no real preferences, only that she liked the porch and the picture with the flag in it would make her dads day.
However, the picture that had the flag in it was at an angle that meant the focal point was a join of two blank walls and the porch was hidden by overgrown bushes.
The front view made the picture far too long though, as the house goes back and along in more sections. :(

I've mixed the pictures up a little, making sure everything is in it's rightful place.

Does the flag look ok where it is....Ignore the two swooping lines they are just the rope and will be very faintly flickering the tree area.
Perspective is correct to the reference but can be offputting 'cos it's on a slight slope.

....What do you think???

I hope to start painting this asap, so any comments you have would be really welcome.

Thanx!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2004/18769-Manadon-PencilSketch.JPG

Roun2it
10-11-2004, 08:24 AM
It's looking good, I would have been inclined to leave a little more foreground. But it's too late to do anything about that.

I can't comment on the flag, I don't know where it is! It must be where you got the flashback. I have tried to fiddle with the image, but there is too much white. If you are using a digital camera, you don't need to use the flash. Just put it in natural daylight, window ledge or outside if its not raining. The digi cam is great at low light situations.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2004/23314-sketch.jpg

This is the best I could do, I strenghtened the lines and then inverted the image. At least you can see the flag on the left. I take it the flag is on a pole in the front garden?

Nitsa
10-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanx Roun2it.

Yes...The flag is mounted to a pole the other side of the driveway...Do you think it will look ok in that position in this composition?
Personally, I felt it would liven up the shrubby/tree area a little and cause some interest there but I'm no expert on house portraits, maybe it would distract the eye????

It looks good on paper though and would make her Dads day! LOL!

Ooooooh, decisions decisions! :confused:

Roun2it
10-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Rather than having the flag free standing in the garden why not attach it to a pole on the left side of the building, just behind the chimney stack, this way you get the flag and it still waves against the trees, if you stick some behind it.

Nitsa
10-11-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanx for your help today....I appreciate it!

The pole is deffo situated on the opposite side of the house in that exact position and seeing as this man worked there for over 30 years and adored the job, house and the Navy, I'm a little scared to go changing things around. Normally I wouldn't consider it a problem but I've a feeling this guy would notice something was not quite right and see it as a fault so I think I'm safer going for a direct copy of the reference as far as placement goes.

I've actually filled in the sky with a wash now and the flag isn't looking too bad at all, I will keep the colours dull though, especially the reds, so it doesn't distract the eye too much from the house. ;)