PDA

View Full Version : Wedgie

Lady Carol
10-10-2004, 10:45 PM
You American's get your mind out of the gutter. This is a Wedge Tail Eagle. Australia's premier raptor
36X24 inches W&N Finity.

I am not convinced that the background works entirely so C&C welcome and appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2004/11811-wedge-tail2.JPG

Mike Finn
10-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Carol...

For me, the background distracts and overpowers the Eagle. So I agree with you :) On my first look I spent too much time trying to figure out the background.... Kinda spoils the effect of a SUPER painting of the Eagle.

Mike Finn

jbitzel
10-10-2004, 11:19 PM
it's hard to tell, I am sure the background is easier to make out in person. :wave:

Lady Carol
10-10-2004, 11:33 PM
So...do you think there is too much detail?

Mike Finn
10-11-2004, 12:11 AM
So...do you think there is too much detail?

Hmmm... For me it's not so much the detail, although maybe less sharp edges, but more the range of values... compress the values in the background and increase in the bird. Actually I still haven't figured out what the backround is :) One side of the brain says flying low over hedgerows..the other says high over bush covered hills...?? I also think maybe the photo has picked up some glare so maybe I got it all wrong :)

Mike Finn

jbitzel
10-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I think the problem is your wedgie is medium value overall and so is your background. My suggestion make the ground darker and add more highlights to your wedgie... :wave:

Enchanted
10-11-2004, 09:37 AM
I think the problem is your wedgie is medium value overall and so is your background. My suggestion make the ground darker and add more highlights to your wedgie... :wave:
I had the opposite reaction. The hawk is beautifully detailed in dark tones, so I'd get rid of ALL the busy-ness in the background and make it an overall lightly hued sky color, or at least a light neutral color.

The most distracting feature of the background is the straight lines in earth tones - which make no sense to me. Additionally, in order to impart "speed" in flight to the bird in such a close-up view, one could "blur" the background as happens when taking a photograph of a bird in flight. ie, - freezing the bird as the camera tracks it across the sky makes the background a blur usually.

Bertoni
10-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Carol:
I love the detail you've achieved here! :clap: :clap: :clap: The busy background I think detracts from the feeling of flight. The 2 orangey striped areas seem to contribute to that a lot.
Perhaps it might work better if there were more of that whitish color continued in those areas. Just a thought!!
Love that Wedge Tail Eagle!!! :)

Lady Carol
10-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Thank you for all the comments. They are greatly appreciated.

OK I have it now. The background doesn't work and it needs to be lightened and diffused.

chandlerjr
10-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Carol,
First let me say the Raptor is beautifully done! The background needs work but kind of disagree with the others unless I am misunderstanding them. Very few people have ever flown at the altitude of an Eagle or Raptor--I have.

A friend has a two seater ultralight which I go up in frequently during the summer months. Your clouds are too beneath the bird. You need to see terrain below but diffused. The clouds should be above the plane of the bird flowing to the horizon that will be slightly shown as below the bird. Also, this flies in convention, but the further away the sky gets toward the horizon, the lighter it should be. The clouds most clear and vivid should be high above the bird and become diffused as you move toward the horizon. Also, there should be fewer clouds.

If you ever get a chance to fly in a ultralight--do it! We have actual flown along side migrating Canadian geese, and, for what ever reason, an eagle once desided to fly with us for about an hour. The eagle would do whatever we did and was not afraid.

Hope this helps!
Larry C.

Thank you for all the comments. They are greatly appreciated.

OK I have it now. The background doesn't work and it needs to be lightened and diffused.

Lady Carol
10-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Larry, thank you also for the comments. Actually, my intention was to have the bird skimming low to the ground. Clearly, if you see clouds, then I haven't told my story properly. I need to sort this out better.

Ultra-light flying sounds like fun. :D

jonesbf
10-11-2004, 11:28 PM
The like values of the background and the bird made me keep checking myself to be sure I found the edges of the bird. I'd dull the values of the background to give a little higher contrast.

ExpressiveAngie
10-12-2004, 08:24 AM
:clap: the eagle is so much more awesome than anything I could ever portray...cant wait to see what changes you make.

Marty C
10-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi Carol,
My youngest daughter gives herself wedgies all the time, and she is not shy in telling everyone about it!
The eagle is very well done, don't change a thing. For me, the bird should be the centre of interest, so I would diffuse the entire background, take out all the detail and blurr it to suggest the speed of the bird. I would also have a distinct value difference between the bird and background, so given the dark bird a light background should do it. Again, great job on the eagle, make him centre stage and really have him fly!

joa
10-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Carol, you have it exactly--lighten and diffuse the background, and this will be perfect. The wedgie is beautiful! :clap:

Lady Carol
10-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Thank you BFJ, Marty, Angie and joa for the comments. Will post the required changes soon.

Charlie's Mum
10-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Doesn't seem you need my two penn'orth then Carol!!!!!!
Most have concluded the same - the bird is really beautifully painted but the b/gd detracts - not like you to do that!!!!!!

Sky or ground, as long as you have the contrast to show him off - that'll make it spectacular! :D

HRH Goldie
10-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Nicest wedgie I've seen lol :p
I would like to see it against a nice clear blue sky but with all but the wispiest of clouds. The blue would make the earth shades of the feathers jump out. :wave:
I just know that this is going to be good as the bird is superb so won't take much. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Christine

Lady Carol
10-13-2004, 12:04 AM
My art teacher saw it tonight and she agrees with you all. Loosen the background and make it lighter. You guys rock!!!!!!

Thank you Christine and Maureen for the comments. They certainly are appreciated.

Faded
10-13-2004, 07:53 AM
The eagle is terrific Carol, and I agree, a bit of diffusion to the background is all this needs. The detail on the eagle is amazing, great work :)
-Faded

jbitzel
10-13-2004, 08:58 AM
now lets see those changes. :wave: James

Donald_Smith
10-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Just my thoughts, but the background is too busy with too much detail. It should be soft and out of focus with no details so that the details of the bird will stand out in sharp contrast to the defused back ground.

Hope this helps,
Don

Lady Carol
10-13-2004, 11:31 AM
David, James and Don:

Thanks for the feed back also. My art teacher saw it last night. She liked it but did agree that the background does compete for attention. We have come up with a plan which I will implement over the next week or so.

Thanks again :cat: