PDA

View Full Version : girl with a pearl earring

stealth
10-30-2001, 10:11 PM
canson12x16 freehand

max nelson
11-14-2001, 10:30 PM
Stealth.. One of my favorite paintings of Vermeer. You have captured the form very well. I would like to see you carry this a little farther and make a great pastel of it. If I may, and I am certainly not an expert, but I am looking at the photo in a book I have on Vermeer with excellent reproduction and the thing that jumps out is the lack of more shadow. The shadow in the bandanna is very deep on the original. Also some gold highlights on the part that hangs would really bring it out. The eyes on your scan appear to be very well done. If you shadow the part above the eye that curves under the brow they would be awesome. The white of her collar is more yellow and the shadow from headband, cheek, neck and back of tunic makes a nice flow in the original. If you carry this a little more it will be a great portrait. :clap: Max

stealth
11-15-2001, 10:22 PM
thanks for your reply,i wasnt realy happy with the skin tones on the light side of the face in mine and just stoped there before adding more shadow and other details but it was just a small study for a larger one i am working on ,i also sneezed on mine and totally ruined the area on the shadow side of the nose even after using fixative i couldnt get the texture right .i recently discovered the original vermeer and saw the yellow ochers you spoke of,i believe the painting i was using was a john hagan copy but it didnt have much yellow in it like the original , it realy helped prepare me for the next one,it looks like ill be buying some yellow and golden ochers i so badly need .thanks again.heres the same painting enhanced somewhat .

max nelson
11-15-2001, 11:11 PM
Stealth..the enhanced one is much more brilliant. Was that with the pastel or software? Look forward to seeing your larger version. Max

LDianeJohnson
11-16-2001, 03:54 PM
Dear stealth,

Looking at your first post since that is the actual one you did without retouching. If I compare the original painting (http://www.artchive.com/artchive/V/vermeer/pearl_earring.jpg.html then click to enlarge on "Image Viewer" text) here are a few tips...

This is a great piece to study and you have done a good job of trying to be faithful to the original.

- Instead of trying to heighten the lights on the face more, darken and richen the background. That will automatically make the face "pop" more. Matching the values is even more critical than matching the color. Once the values are matched, select the color in that value range to apply.

- You are painting in pastel, so the piece will look different than what Vermeer's oil.

- Yes, getting some of the warmer portrait colors will help a great deal as they will warm up the painting substantially.

- The head dress perspective needs to be corrected. The forehead part drops off to the right side of the face more severely in the original. Looking at this in reverse through a mirror will help to see where the angle changes. Also take a look at the eyes. They are at more of an angle also. In addition, where the folds start on top front of the head dress is right above the left eye. You have it pulled farther to the right.

- The girl's upper body comes to the left more.

- Nice work on the lips. These are hard for most people to tackle. You have not overworked them -- looks good.

- Richen the shadow side of the face. You've correctly observed that the darkest value is just where the face turns away from the light. But the values need to be a bit lower still, and warmer colors applied.

- The girl's right eye is looking at the viewer, the left eye is looking away from the viewer just a bit. A simple correction on the iris & highlight.

- Check angles and relationships. For instance, the sleeve shadow come straight down from the ear in the original. Yours is back somewhat.

Just from these few things you can see that all the changes that need to be made are minor adjustments that can make a big difference.

Overall good work. As you continue on this one or work on the next one, we can take another look.

Diane

quadros
11-17-2001, 10:42 AM
An excellent likeness! The interesting thing to me was,when I first saw this I thought wow! This looks like something from the seventeenth century! Then I researched Vermeer,and there she was! Very good work! I think I like the first one best,with its softer tones.Just my opinion.Great job you did!!!!

stealth
11-17-2001, 12:01 PM
yes the second picture was darkened in paintshop ,it really brings the face out more.thanks diane for the site that shows the vermeer painting , this will be a great help ,the magnification ability without the image getting fuzzy is just what i needed.thanks quadros i have been studying pastels for about two years now and practicing drawing and i have a long way to go before i am satisfied with my ability, hopefully someday that will happen.:)