PDA

View Full Version : Baking Soda Trough

richsantaclaus
10-10-2004, 07:37 PM
I went to the hardwear store and looked, and looked, and looked racking my little OLD brain for some type of something the I could spin my mandrel on that would allow the baking soda to evenly apply on the surface of my beads that I wanted to make bubbles in.

I found a metal slotted bar that is used on top of fence posts that one would run barbed wire over and into the little slots in the length in 3 places. I looked and POW an idea popped into the brain.

What if I cut the metal bar in 2 places to make a 6" piece of the bar and turned it over and drilled 2 holes in it to anker it to a piece of 2"by 4" wood. That way it wouldn't tip over as the wood would hold it stationary.... hummm. Next I found a rectangular piece of soft metal (peweter/tin) and fashioned it inside the bar so it would hold the baking powder so it wouldn't spill out the ends.

Well, here is a picture of my "tool." I hope you like it as I have made several baking soda beads and they all look great (to me).

The Other Hussy
10-11-2004, 05:27 PM
I think thats a great idea and you did a great job on it as well. i think home made tools are the best and fun projects too. Kellie and I actually made a pretty good frit sifter using pvc and screen. We also built a glass storage monster with good old pvc. our current frit tray consists of a cut up soda can though, so thanks for the great idea!!!

Paula

Candyann
10-12-2004, 03:36 PM
I wish I could show a pic, but I can't so please use your imagination :D
I went to the dollar store and bought what lookedl like metal muffin cups. I turned them upside down and hammered the bottom in a bit and they make great frit holders to roll my hot beads in.

beadreamer
10-12-2004, 04:24 PM
ok...I'm curious now...can anyone show me a bead where baking soda was applied to? :confused:

Zonnestraaltje
10-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Yeah, Rich, show us the beads!!!! :D

WillowMajestic
10-12-2004, 05:20 PM
I wish I could show a pic, but I can't so please use your imagination :D
I went to the dollar store and bought what lookedl like metal muffin cups. I turned them upside down and hammered the bottom in a bit and they make great frit holders to roll my hot beads in.

GREAT idea! :clap: Looking for something shallow enough yet hold enough is a tough feat! Great way to improvise.

Kari

zim
10-12-2004, 09:40 PM
ok...I'm curious now...can anyone show me a bead where baking soda was applied to? :confused:

I'm also curious... would love to hear about this technique. Does it leave bubbles in the glass?? (I love bubbles in beads). Can someone show us how its done :D .

Thanks,
Donna

zim
10-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Oh- :o , I just noticed the thread re the newbie assignment for baking soda beads (blush)......nevermind!

~Donna

(cant wait to try them- makes me wonder what else I could experiment with!)

richsantaclaus
10-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Here are 3 beads made on my rack.

I started with a base bead then rolled the bead along the edges on the top of my little tool so the baking soda could attach itself to the hot glass, then encased the baking soda making sure I didn't put it directly into the hot flame - I held the bead WAY out from the flame and kept it warm and put the clear on the bead while I held it below the flame when I encased.

Zonnestraaltje
10-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Wonderful!! Thanks for sharing the beads, and also your technique! :clap:

MegannsMom
10-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Thats really cool, Rich! I would make one too, except for the fact that I'm REALLY lazy! (but not too lazy to whine until my DH makes it just to shut me up. :evil: )

I use a muffin pan for it now; one of those for mini-muffins. Has about 24 little cups, so I have all my pixie dust in it, as well as baking soda and some frits. I usually make beads on the small side, so it works pretty well for me!

~Cindy

richsantaclaus
10-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Thanks all - I just put into my fiber blanket to cool an eye soda bead - I hope it turns out... I'll post a pix later when I can get a shot of it.

richsantaclaus
10-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Here are 2 pictures of my eye bead with soda. Hope they look ok, in person, they look much better - oh well...lol