PDA

View Full Version : First Digital Drawing

TedDawson
10-10-2004, 06:14 PM
After years of avoiding it, I attempted my first digital drawing this afternoon. I've run across enough sites with amazing digital art to get me to thinking about it. This might be as far as it goes, I dunno. But between artists like our own Phil, and Craig Mullins (http://www.goodbrush.com), and messing around (quite literally) with paint, I've been intrigued.

Anyways, here it is. Done in Photoshop, drawn with a mouse (Finger cramp! Finger cramp!). No references, it just kinda built itself. As always, comments, critiques always welcome. And probably necessary. :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2004/36907-baldie.jpg

Ted

AFM159
10-10-2004, 10:18 PM
With a mouse???!!!!??? Holy Cow, Batman!

TedDawson
10-10-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Captain Architect!

Now here's a nice thing... I realized the proportions were off so I enlarged the eyes, head and narrowed the face a little. Then smoothed out the areas, working with the brush at around 20 percent transparency most of the time. Looks a little better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2004/36907-baldie2.jpg

AFM159
10-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Wow a mouse, I'm just amazed. Most impressive, Ted.

You been watching Lost???

coolray
10-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Ted,

That is just wonderful!!! Why have you been holding off!?! I don't do much in Photoshop like this, an I have the drawing pen! What an inspiration!

You surely have a handle on this. Any chance to see some hair on this face, or is that too much for you first digital? :)

I hope to see more stuff like this from you. You have a talent for sure!

Terry

designbyjen
10-11-2004, 07:50 PM
oh what fun! hey, i don't got no pen needer...i do it the same way *cramp-cramp*!
nice one there dave...it does look like the guy!
~~~jen

TedDawson
10-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Watching Lost? I am lost. It's been several years since I got to watch a television show all the way through, so I kinda quit trying. Is that the Gilligan's Island show?

Terry, yes, I thought hair would be too much! For that matter, so is a neck.

I thought it bore a slight resemblence to Tom Selleck. Maybe I will try some facial hair.

Axl
10-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Gads I remember the mouse thing *head explodes*

We should start some sort of official challenge to try illustrating *something* in a medium we are not familliar with and have always been curious about.

Anyone game ah?

*looks at the box of pastels*

TedDawson
10-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Hey, I'm game. In the past month, I've done oils, 3-D and digital. I'm considering trying elephant poop next. At least then I won't have to take it so personally when it looks like crap. :cool:

Axl
10-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Hey, I'm game. In the past month, I've done oils, 3-D and digital. I'm considering trying elephant poop next. At least then I won't have to take it so personally when it looks like crap. :cool:

rolf!

AFM159
10-13-2004, 10:32 AM
I was just reading that the pigment for Indian Yellow was once produced from Cow's urine in India. :p

philwms
10-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Now here's a nice thing... I realized the proportions were off so I enlarged the eyes, head and narrowed the face a little. Then smoothed out the areas, working with the brush at around 20 percent transparency most of the time. Looks a little better.

This is perhaps the most advantageous aspect to working digitally... being able to alter drawings - and without any eraser dust... :)

In most cases, a final image can be built right on top of initial sketches, which saves an enormous amount of time.

Also, the ease with which things can be changed adds ease to striking out experimentally without the fear of having to start over... i.e., just a few clicks and that distasterous experiment is history, leaving the previous work intact.... ....but, you have to get a tablet. The physical intertia of the mouse is very restrictive!

chsm
10-15-2004, 04:46 PM
woo hoo it rocks big-time! :clap: :clap: :clap: