PDA

View Full Version : more poppies - think I'm schizophrenic

jackiesimmonds
10-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Well, I decided my first poppy landscape was not enough of a showstopper, to bring people over to my stand, so I thought I would do another, more "in-your-face" poppies.

You would think it was done by a different artist. I do not understand myself sometimes. Perhaps it is the Wallis paper that did it............

Step l - underpainting using Createx. Boy they are strong.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2004/1805-poppy1.jpg

Almost finished piece. Scares me to death, but it should certainly be eye-catching. Have to live with it for a day or two. And get some feedback from you guys. It is biggish by the way ...17" x 23".

What do you think? One change I will make is to the curving stalks, they are too similar. Will have to think about what I want to do with them, tho.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2004/1805-poppies3.jpg

dragonlady
10-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Jackie, this is wonderful. I really love the colours, that underpainting is really working well in this . This should stop them and make them look.

Paula Ford
10-10-2004, 01:18 PM
This is beautiful Jackie!!

Love the colors!!

I agree with you that the two curved stems have to be changed. I would just put them in the same direction that they are all going.

Lovely!!

Paula

Dark_Shades
10-10-2004, 01:27 PM
ahhhh now THIS I really do like, and will definately Grab everyones attention .... lovely work

*Deirdre*
10-10-2004, 01:46 PM
That's a show stopper for sure! :clap: :clap: :clap:

MollyUnlimited
10-10-2004, 02:43 PM
This is a real attention grabber! I think it will definitely bring people over!

As a poppy lover and grower, here's something I've observed about how they grow that might add to the painting. When they are in bud, the head of the bud is almost always bent over like a shepherd's crook. Not until they start to open do they stand up straight. At least true of my poppies and I have a number of different varieties. It would add to the piece I think to have a bud or two bending over differently from the verticals of the other stems. Also, poppy stems do vary greatly in their lean and curve. They are delicate and sort of "hairy". I think you can take real license in how you depict the stems and still be quite authentic.

This is beautiful and I think it will really rope in an audience.

jackiesimmonds
10-10-2004, 02:53 PM
well thanks everyone. I shall enjoy making the stems a bit hairier, will change the duplicated ones, will have a look for some pics of poppy buds and maybe include a bent one, sounds like a nice idea ...and will make sure I place the pic under a spotlight ...it is nightime here now, and under my studio lights this SHOUTS OUT LOUD!

have checked some poppy pics in the reference library, and found two with stems and buds. No bent ones tho , perhaps they are all just about to open! Or else, perhaps they are'nt buds, but the seed heads after all the petals have dropped off....

Jackie

Deborah Secor
10-10-2004, 02:56 PM
WHAT? CAN'T HEAR YOU--THE PAINTING IS TOO LOUD! (Oh, sorry--hadda say it!! :D ) I LOVE this one Jackie!!!! It will be your show stopper, guranteed. Yeah, finish the stems a bit but frankly I think you can almost call it quits! A few strokes, that's all. Maybe a nodding bud, but don't diddle too much--it's fresh and lively now. Yummy!

Deborah

jackiesimmonds
10-10-2004, 03:01 PM
Dee, you ARE a card.

(do you know that expression over your side of the pond ?)

I have to say...I could not have done this without WC. I used several pics from the reference library, together with some artificial poppies I have here, and a bit of imagination. Also, I am sure the Wallis paper helped and I would not have known how to do an underpainting in quite this way if I hadn't met Kitty thro WC! Three cheers for WC!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

J

susiebell
10-10-2004, 03:41 PM
I just love the poppies! The colors all work so well together. It is an attention grabber for sure. I'm just getting started in pastels and have been wanting to try some underpainting but have not done so yet. Your painting inspires me to get moving on it. Thanks!! :clap: :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
10-10-2004, 03:58 PM
I am in AWE...this is just beautiful.

K Taylor-Green
10-10-2004, 05:15 PM
I JUST LOVE THIS!! Lucious colors, in-your-face. Wow! If this doesn't get em, they're blind.

jackiesimmonds
10-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Angie - I think it is the colour that does it.

Incidentally, folks, in case any of you come back............I used the Letraset "Studiotac" product (Called Letratac at your end I think) to stick my sheet of Wallis down onto some mountboard, and worked on it right away, splashing around happily with my underpainting. It seems like good stuff, so glad it was recommended to me. Those of you who work on Canson might like to try it, instead of stretching Canson ... not sure it will work as well as with the Wallis paper, but might be worth a try.

Also - re the underpainting - I know that there are many artists who think that an underpainting works best if it is done with "complementary colours" -
( other side of the colour wheel stuff )ie, if the pic is going to be green, then they begin with a reddish underpainting. I have a friend who always works this way. I find I get quite confused by that if I stick too closely to that plan; it works in some parts for me, but all over ...it would blow my mind. And anyway I reckon this pic really glows because I used colour harmony - using similar colours to those I intended to use in the end. I feel fairly sure that if I had used green under those reds, instead of yellows, it would have killed the reds. Interesting, that - just musing. What do you think?

J

pjo
10-10-2004, 06:00 PM
First Jackie I have to say this is absolutly breathtaking, I wish I could see it IRL, I bet it's even more vibrant! You had a great idea here, that interest me and probably other too, I would be very very interested to see you do another one of these with the complimentary underpainting too, then you and we could kinda compare them side by side. What do you think? And lastly I just have to ditto, WC is just wonderful!!!

Kathryn Wilson
10-10-2004, 06:49 PM
All I can say is WOW!!! This is "in your face" painting and I love it. I certainly wouldn't do much more to it!

I definitely think the greens would have killed the reds. You did this right.

judwal
10-10-2004, 07:36 PM
I love it...it's so vibrant! It really caught my eye.

LostInWonderArt
10-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Jackie,
This is just great. I haven't tried doing an underpainting yet, but will probably in the future. I'm all over experimenting right now.

This is so vibrant, it's sure-fire going to stop people in their tracks at your show. I stared at it for a long time, just great.
Maureen

Mikki Petersen
10-10-2004, 08:21 PM
You wanted to do an attention grabber and you certainly met your goal! This is quite astonishing and beautifully painted and very accurate to the look of the California Poppy. It was great to hear you musing about the process and working with an underpainting.

MollyUnlimited
10-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Found a poppy bud photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2004/49177-poopy_buds.JPG

Hope this helps! I do think the painting looks SUPER as is, however.

bogbeast
10-11-2004, 12:22 AM
GREAT painting--love the color and energy!!! :clap:

lindadavis
10-11-2004, 12:48 AM
I love this piece. So much energy. I wish I could see it in person.

Linda D

prestonsega
10-11-2004, 01:16 AM
So very nice, Jackie....I makes me happy.

Dyin
10-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Jackie, it's very strong and lovely...am attaching a pic of the shepherd's crook, only it's going sideways lol...but with a little contrast adjustment it may help...I really like the direction your work has been taking. :clap:

Natalie NZ
10-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Poppies are one of my favourite flowers and these are exquisite. Please excuse my ignorance but what is Createx? The underpainting certainly seems to make such a difference.

jackiesimmonds
10-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Found a poppy bud photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2004/49177-poopy_buds.JPG

Hope this helps! I do think the painting looks SUPER as is, however.

Molly, this is just lovely, thanks a lot. I am considering adding one or two.
Oooer. Scary.

Jackie

jackiesimmonds
10-11-2004, 07:27 AM
Poppies are one of my favourite flowers and these are exquisite. Please excuse my ignorance but what is Createx? The underpainting certainly seems to make such a difference.

Createx is liquid pigment, comes in bottles, very strong, and doesn't have the "body" of watercolour. I often use watercolour, but decided to have a bash with this stuff, which Kitty works with, because the watercolour has a tendency to dry MUCH lighter. The createx does too, but it is so strong to begin with that it doesn't matter. Have a look at Kitty's forum, I think there may be a post there which shows how she uses it. I have a small kit of 6 bottles, two blues, cool and warmer; two reds, two yellows. I had to mix the warmer red with yellow to get a really bright, warm orange-red.

It isnt available in the UK mind you, but I have come across various similar things. When my Createx runs out, I will try them then. They are liquid paints for airbrushing and calligraphy. For example, there is one called Ecoline, which is liquid, transparent water-based colour, which comes in 45 colours, about 1.50 for a small jar. Found in the Great Art catalogue, which is almost as good as having a shop in your home! It's the size of a telephone directory!

Jackie

meowmeow
10-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Haven't been here (busy moving back fom Maine) so I must have missed the first poppies....but I love this! Absolutely gorgeous...they would have to be blind to miss it.
I agree about the underpainting. I still do some complementary stuff but since seeing what Kitty does I have been doing less. It really worked well doing it the way you did. I love how you softened the lower right flowers, which accentuates the main ones.
Thanks for showing the steps. It always helps to see how other people work.

Sandy

jackiesimmonds
10-11-2004, 01:08 PM
hope the move went well Sandy, and not too stressful.

This pic is framed and ready for the fair. Am now feeling less than enthusiastic about it, having just had several pics returned by an agent who told me that "your kind of work just isn't selling right now". Nice to hear....just before a fair where I will be on my feet for three solid days. Lovely.

J

Kathryn Wilson
10-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Hope he did tell you what was selling - would be nice to know. :(

Deborah Secor
10-11-2004, 02:14 PM
What else would he say if HE didn't sell the work? Go sell like crazy and then just find a way to let him know what IS selling... Don't let one man's track record skew your thinking, Jackie dear. You have gorgeous work to sell and people want it. This poppy painting will most likely have folks asking for prints, so keep it after it sells and be prepared to take prepaid orders.

I know it will go well, but don't work too hard!

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
10-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I like this much better than the first, Jackie- this has better light and vibrance. Dee's right, too- the gallery owner's job is to SELL- if he didn't do his job, why blame yourself??

jackiesimmonds
10-11-2004, 05:26 PM
thanks Deborah, most appreciated. I will let you know if the poppy pic sells, we shall see.

And actually, the agent was a woman. She regularly takes artists' work to the big-selling fairs, we have one called The Affordable Art Fair, and she sells well there, twice yearly. ( She must do well to go there twice a year, a stand costs a fortune, way out of my pocket!) Apparently, she sells semi-abstract work best of all. She couldn't quite describe what she meant, but I think I know what she means....recognisable subject matter is there, but it is stylised. She sells big semi-abstract oils of Tuscany very well. Ah well. I try all sorts, as you well know - but I cannot easily turn myself into a semi-abstract, stylised sort of painter.

So I just have to keep on doing the best I can. some will sell, some won't. C'est la vie.

thanks for the support
Jackie

jackiesimmonds
10-11-2004, 05:31 PM
SBJ - Thanks for the comment re the pic. Re the unsold work - I am afraid that I cannot help but to take lack of sales a bit personally. I have no faith, as you know by now, in a gallery owner's "ability to sell" - I think that has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

ps I see you are a Terry Pratchett fan. I am one too, a huge one. Have read all the discworld novels, I love them. What a rush, reading one of his books - they are so wonderfully funny.

J

Merethe T
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
WOW - what a beautiful painting - love the colour and energy - certainly a show stopper to me!! :clap:

Merethe

SweetBabyJ
10-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Pratchett has such a refreshingly honest view of the world, I think, Jackie- kind of the way we all think, but what we would never, ever say....

I have had, at one time or another, every book- but I also have grown sons who seem to think they're the ones collecting his work- odd how that goes. My latest is a pre-release copy of Monstrous Regiment- the copy which goes to critics and reviewers. Was neat to see the slight revisions and changes made.

I don't have faith in gallery owners or agents, either, but I figure that's their problem, not mine. I did my job when I handed them the work.

Natalie NZ
10-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks again Jackie re my createx query. Sounds a bit advanced for me but I will try underpainting with water colour.

kordelia
10-11-2004, 08:00 PM
wow....i cant believe i'm actually commenting on a painting of YOURS!! but i adore poppies, and those colors are inCREDible!! molly was correct in that the hairy little buds droop, but my main 'uneasiness' if you can call it that was the grasslike up/and/down evenness of the stems... is that the stems? or IS it grass like stuff??? hard to tell... my poppies grew around my gas main beside my house and i swear were all poopie-poppieheads on gas... they grew every which way and curley, curley, but boldly upward always when they opened... and the color, ah, the color..... i am definitely trying your color scheme, if you dont mind... i've done the green/blue under, and ended up with a muddiness..... yours has the vibrancy i was reaching for.... thank you so much for posting!!! and yes, across the pond they reach, not just across the room!!! thank you. :wave:

watergirl
10-11-2004, 10:28 PM
based on my garden but the brilliant color is right on!

jackiesimmonds
10-12-2004, 02:52 AM
wow....i cant believe i'm actually commenting on a painting of YOURS!! but i adore poppies, and those colors are inCREDible!! molly was correct in that the hairy little buds droop, but my main 'uneasiness' if you can call it that was the grasslike up/and/down evenness of the stems... is that the stems? or IS it grass like stuff??? hard to tell... my poppies grew around my gas main beside my house and i swear were all poopie-poppieheads on gas... they grew every which way and curley, curley, but boldly upward always when they opened... and the color, ah, the color..... i am definitely trying your color scheme, if you dont mind... i've done the green/blue under, and ended up with a muddiness..... yours has the vibrancy i was reaching for.... thank you so much for posting!!! and yes, across the pond they reach, not just across the room!!! thank you. :wave:

the straight stuff is, kinda, grasses in between the poppies. The finished version shows this a tad more clearly.

have fun with yours
Jackie

watergirl
10-12-2004, 04:56 PM
buds than you have in your pic which I am fascinated with. But your stems and grasses read very nicely and I do love the colors!

jackiesimmonds
10-13-2004, 02:57 AM
Watergirl...I added three more poppy buds tothe finished piece, subtly in the background!

J

lensman
10-13-2004, 07:28 AM
This pic is framed and ready for the fair. Am now feeling less than enthusiastic about it, having just had several pics returned by an agent who told me that "your kind of work just isn't selling right now". Nice to hear....just before a fair where I will be on my feet for three solid days. Lovely.

Had to get my two cents (or pennies!) in when I read that. I haven't hung around this forum long enough to see your other work but if this is indicative of it then just blow this guy/gal off. He or she is somehow failing YOU, not the other way round. This is a really good painting and I'm not particularly into flowers myself. Poppies always get me thinking about the "Flander's Field" poem and this particular piece was no exception.

Glenn

jackiesimmonds
10-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Had to get my two cents (or pennies!) in when I read that. I haven't hung around this forum long enough to see your other work but if this is indicative of it then just blow this guy/gal off. He or she is somehow failing YOU, not the other way round. This is a really good painting and I'm not particularly into flowers myself. Poppies always get me thinking about the "Flander's Field" poem and this particular piece was no exception.

Glenn

thanks Glenn. Well, we will see what the general public thinks at the fair, and whether the agent is partly right, it depends on whether anyone will put their money on the table at the end of the day! I will be curious to see what IS selling.

I cannot "blow" this agent away, because she has blown ME out! Cannot blame her really, she is in it for the money, and if she cannot sell my pieces, she cannot sell them. If her audience doesn't appreciate what I do, that is the end of it. That's not to say that there is NO audience out there ... perhaps they are just harder to find these days, the majority of the buying public here, in her experience, are looking for something else.

J

E-J
10-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Jackie, I missed your previous poppies but these are terrific - the colours are almost edible. Do you find that certain colour combinations leave a taste in the mouth, somehow? The purple dabbed in amongst the red is making my mouth water, and it's a sweet taste - but most definitely sugar, not saccharin. I think it may be to do with the fact that they're so similar in value - even though the red is supervibrant and that helps to draw the eye to it in the absence of dramatic tonal contrast. I do hope this is an accurate pic and you're not going to tell me that actually, the contrast's much stronger in reality and I'm talking complete rot :)

I would take this over a semi-abstract Tuscan oil anyday!

khourianya
10-13-2004, 03:52 PM
I loved your other poppies, but this one really glows. such vibrant colours!

jackiesimmonds
10-14-2004, 04:39 AM
Jackie, I missed your previous poppies but these are terrific - the colours are almost edible. Do you find that certain colour combinations leave a taste in the mouth, somehow? The purple dabbed in amongst the red is making my mouth water, and it's a sweet taste - but most definitely sugar, not saccharin. I think it may be to do with the fact that they're so similar in value - even though the red is supervibrant and that helps to draw the eye to it in the absence of dramatic tonal contrast. I do hope this is an accurate pic and you're not going to tell me that actually, the contrast's much stronger in reality and I'm talking complete rot :)

I would take this over a semi-abstract Tuscan oil anyday!

No, you are not talking rot, on my monitor, it is pretty close to the original.

And it's yours! (for the right price)

Jackie

Khadres
10-15-2004, 07:51 PM
This is really lovely, Jackie, and I'd like the weigh in on the side of leaving those stems curved...I think it keeps the whole from looking "too" perfect. The colors are awesome and I can see where your underpainting really helped. I just haven't had much luck that way yet....guess I need to keep trying. Beautiful work!

gnu
10-18-2004, 03:07 AM
Hey these are awesome! I love bright and big and poppies too! I popped over here to look at Natalie's work(we've met twice) and decided to peek at your work.. :clap: :clap: I adore the purple, it's just right..
I have uploaded some red and black poppies to the ref library(they are intense red single poppies with a big black half circle on the bottom half of each petal..very striking..)then you can be even more schitzophrenic! half red half black..:D:D
might have to break out the pastel pencils soon, we're getting the OCCAISIONAL nice day here..(today it's back to winter!)..

jackiesimmonds
10-18-2004, 10:30 AM
thanks Gnu, will pop over to the library to see them.

Am feeling a bit sick right now...the art expo I am supposed to attend, where these poppies would have been hung centre stage, is this coming weekend, AND I HAVE PUT MY BACK OUT somehow, and may well have to cancel. I cannot find anyone else to do it for me, it is a three-day event after all, so it is hardly surprising.

Backs are just THE END when they don't work. I am really :mad:

Deborah Secor
10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Ohhhh--so sorry Jackie! Can't you call a student who would love to earn a painting of yours? Surely someone would want to do this for you...well, I'm sure you've thought of that, but still, I hope you can find someone. If I weren't half a world away I'd be there! Take care...

Deborah

Nitsa
10-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi Jackie....Your poppies are stunning!

I spend my time in the watercolour forum mostly but was thinking of investing in some pastel pencils (No idea why, they just take my fancy. LOL!)
Therefore pastels are very new to me and I was wondering if you could explain that underpainting techniqie?....It looks like you've used water, is that right?

TY!

Mikki Petersen
10-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Jackie, what rotten luck! Back problems seem to be running rampant right now and they are so painful and debilitating. I'm with Deborah, if I were on that side of the Pond, I'd be right there to take care of hanging your paintings and bragging about them. Of course, I'm not there so it's not much help...what a disapointment! :(

SweetBabyJ
10-18-2004, 12:36 PM
My empathy, Jackie- I could tell you to ice it the way all the sadists here did me... :D works- but it's very definately a "cure worse than the ailment."

Deborah may be on to something- check with a student- what a thrill that would be for them to have you show such trust. Good luck.

gnu
10-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Jackie..from very recent experience..if you can take aspirin, TRY them, anti infflammatories and panadol did nothing for my back this year, but aspirin bought complete pain relief..unbelievable..My Mum tried them too recently and she found the same..worth a try...
I was able to SIT in a car for long periods(travelling al round our Nth Island for a week) with no repercussions..just took the average dose, as aften as permitted, and didn't stop till I was sure my back was better.
I really hope you can progress quickly and attend...
Your painting will certainly draw the crowds..hugs
Gill

SweetBabyJ
10-18-2004, 02:31 PM
ummmm... aspirin IS an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), it's the first such medicine in the line. Made from willow-bark, originally, the wonders of chemistry has given us the formula, and now it's made in labs- but it's the same active ingredient: asalicylic acid. Doesn't taste any better, though (willowbark tea is reknowned for bitterness- but not as bad as some other herbals). Almost all of the further NSAIDS come from a form of salicylic acid- they just have a few other molecular bonds which give each a unique property.

The biggest drawbacks with all NSAIDs is a tendency to "thin the blood"- affect clotting properties- and, because they're all acid-based, to cause gastrointestinal disturbance. That blood-thinning property is the reason the AMA recommends taking baby aspirin (3 or 4) if you're having chest pain from a cardiac problem ('course, you should call 911 FIRST- lol). Current research, however, is showing that the usual "one baby aspirin a day" regimene isn't as effective as thought for cardiac maintainence, but harsher anti-coagulents (like heparin) are often overkill.

There's a definate correlation between inflammation and clotting factors- in fact, clotting IS an inflammation, in a way- just a good one- usually. Inflammation means the body is working to fix whatever is wrong, so stopping the body from doing its job can delay healing. Since most "back problems" are muscular in cause, (spasms- the muscle contracts but doesn't relax) usually RICE works best: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (with compression, in this case, meaning "support"). Certain NSAIDs are designed to work synergistically with muscle relaxants or nerve agents- like ibuprofen and methocarbomal- they actually work together better than either separately.

But in the end, each body is different, and everyone has to do what works for themselves.

Oh- and a tip to self-diagnosis: *Usually*, walking will aggravate a muscular-caused back pain, but relieve or do nothing to a spinal-issue caused back pain. Has to do with the shifts in balance- the fact other muscles are trying to overcompensate when the ones in spasm don't relax and pick up their load. Nasty stuff, back pain.

meowmeow
10-18-2004, 02:42 PM
:( Poor Jackie! I do hope you are feeling better and will be able to do the show. I know also about hurting backs...do take care of yourself. As much as it would be awful to have to cancel it is not worth hurting yourself more.

Hugs!

Sandy

kordelia
10-18-2004, 03:04 PM
jackie... sooo sorry to hear about your problem... as another backpain participant, i can empathize totally... other than a quick trip to a chiropractor, my latest thing that works is ibuprophen and heat 15-20 mins, then ice 15-20 min.... for the heat, have you tried the rice sock?? if you have this often, and travel, it would be wonderful to take with you... IF you have a microwave in your room... 1 pair men's white athletic sox, large; 1 bag (3 lbs or so) any kind of cheap rice. pour rice into one sock; close off either by sewing, elactic band, tying, etc. slip that one upside down into the other sock and fasten off likewise. Microwave on high 1 min at first... if you get it too hot, the rice burns, and it smells worse than burnt popcorn.... but the length and shape of the sock conforms wonderfully to your back, neck, actually... anywhere... it's even great to set inside your slacks when you're sitting for long periods painting!!! i do wish you well... i too would volunteer were it possible....................

jackiesimmonds
10-18-2004, 05:28 PM
You guys are just the best.

re the student idea; sadly, because I have been out of action on the teaching front for almost 2 years because of my last operation (which may be exacerbating the problem of course), I have no close contact with any students right now. I do have friends I have made among students over the years, but most of them do not live anywhere nearby.

re the tablets - v interesting info there, will try some aspirin, tho they generally do give me tummy trouble. I tend to use Ibuprofen. Doesn't do much. I have found the best relief from sitting quietly in a very comfy TV chair (like the ones the boys used in Friends .. remember?) with a hot "wheat cushion" on my back, it eases out the spasm greatly - the wheat cushion sounds much like the rice sock. I have two, a long thin one much like a sock, and a little square one, I use them both. (When heating in the microwave, always put a glass of water in there at the same time, it stops the contents of the pillow from burning. Not sure why.)

Am fascinated by what you said, SBJ, about walking. If what you say is right, then it points to a spinal-based issue for me because sitting doing nothing relieves the problem, but on the other hand, walking and trying to work ALSO aggravates it, as I can literally feel other muscles trying to compensate, and I start to get pains in all sorts of other areas. Perhaps this is a good rule of thumb but isn't set in stone. Pardon the pun.

Whatever - I have had a long, quiet day (well, four now actually) watching TV with a heated cushion behind me, with a dear little kitten either chewing my fingers or sleeping in my lap - can't be all bad - and feel a lot easier this evening. However, I felt like that yesterday, went to bed and woke up in agony. So it remains to be seen what tomorrow will bring.

good night dear friends, and thanks for the moral support, even if you cannot be here to run my stand for me, I appreciate the fact that if you were, you would!!

J

jackiesimmonds
10-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi Jackie....Your poppies are stunning!

I spend my time in the watercolour forum mostly but was thinking of investing in some pastel pencils (No idea why, they just take my fancy. LOL!)
Therefore pastels are very new to me and I was wondering if you could explain that underpainting techniqie?....It looks like you've used water, is that right?

TY!

Pastel pencils are limited in what they can do. You can only use the point. If you buy some, do also buy some pastel sticks, you can "paint" far more easily with them, by using the side of a stick, you cannot do that with a pencil.

I paint on Wallis paper, which has a pre-primed surface, using either strong watercolours, or thinned-down Createx colours - in this instance - which is a water-based pigment, thinned further with water. I used quite a lot of water and splashed around a bit to get a nice washy underpainting. When dry, this makes a lovely base to work on.

Jackie

Nitsa
10-19-2004, 03:18 AM
Thanx for the reply Jackie, sorry to hear about your back! :(

I ordered them yesterday afternoon, 72 of them! I have ordered a set of half sticks aswell....I figured I would need them.
Can't wait!!!

Is Wallis paper like watercolour paper?....Would watercolour paper work as well?.....I have heaps of that! LOL!

Thanx for your help!

jackiesimmonds
10-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Thanx for the reply Jackie, sorry to hear about your back! :(

I ordered them yesterday afternoon, 72 of them! I have ordered a set of half sticks aswell....I figured I would need them.
Can't wait!!!

Is Wallis paper like watercolour paper?....Would watercolour paper work as well?.....I have heaps of that! LOL!

Thanx for your help!

No Wallis paper is not at all like watercolour paper. Nothing like it at all. Watercolour paper has bumps (unless you use hot pressed stuff) and it does not grip the pastel in the way that Wallis does, because Wallis has a sanded surface. Try both, it's the only way to learn what you like. I hate working on any watercolour paper except something with a smooth surface, but others dont mind it.

Have fun
Jackie

Nitsa
10-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Ok, thanx Jackie! :D