PDA

View Full Version : Knife Painting of Harbour

paloma
10-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi Guys & gals,
Haven't been around here for a while so thought I would just drop by in between giving the house a makeover which seems to be taking forever!!!
Not much happening on the easle at the moment , but here is something I painted about 6 months ago - hoping my next post here will show improvement on this as I have been picking up tricks & tips on the way from you generous friends. This is the Port area of where we live. another knife painting golden Acrylics approx 21X16 on MDF. CC welcome .
Alexandra

prospector
10-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Great work paloma.. :clap: Did you do it plein air? It has that look. What Golden acrylics did you use, and what was your palette?

Jack

Bertoni
10-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Alexandra:
It has a nice impressionist look!! :clap:

Bioartist
10-10-2004, 12:00 AM
This is simply stunning and very well done :clap: :clap:
What type of knives did you use and what was their size?????
thanks for sharing,
Stacey

romell
10-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Very nice and inspiring work, Alexandra. You controlled your knife exellently. :clap: :clap: :clap:

paloma
10-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Hi There,
Jack I painted this from a digital pic - one of many we took that day as the sky was so impressive - everything bathed in a pink glow, also from memory as we go there often. I used Heavy Body Golden Acrylics - like them better than W&N. If my memory serves me right I used a limited palette of about 8 colours.

Bertoni Thanks for looking & nice comment.

Stacey The palette knives I use are mostly Spanish - so much paint on them that `I can't quite see the sizes ;I used 3 for this one. For the masts a very long thin knife using just the side, then a round tipped one here & there & for the water a wedge shape one that you can apply the paint in all directions to create movement.
Hope that helps!!!

Thanks for looking Romell & nice remarks :cat: Alexandra

ExpressiveAngie
10-10-2004, 07:27 AM
this is really spectacular! I especially love the water, and the boat, lol, and the background boats...okay okay I LOVE it all

Dima
10-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Great composition and atmosphere.

Dick

Charlie's Mum
10-10-2004, 05:19 PM
This is beautifully painted Alexandra - as one would expect!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
May I have a little quibble?....please?........
The only thing that upsets me a bit (how dare she you all say!!!) is the way the line of the mountain/cliff just about touches the prow of the boat and leads down to the reflection....kind of cuts the pic a bit too much.
Now I know we should set up rhythms in the comps, but this is just a little more obvious than you'd usually do I think.............just MHO - feel free to slap me down......someone is sure to!!!!! :D

I haven't given you enough credit for the great knife work - sorry!
It's a magnificent example of this technique.
And for those interested in knife work......in an article I read this week the artist files and reshapes his knives to get exactly the shape he requires.....maybe Alexandra does this too, cos A, you certainly know how to use those knives!!!!!!............OUCH!!!! :D

Marty C
10-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi Alexandre,
This is really a superb example of the results possible from the combination of a knife and a skilled artist.
Splendid water, the whole work is so well rendered, really wonderful execution. Bravo! :clap:

paloma
10-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Hi All,
Just to say thank you for looking & really nice comments I don't deserve !
Angie, Dick, Marty, & Maureen :)

Maureen Quote
May I have a little quibble?....please?........
The only thing that upsets me a bit (how dare she you all say!!!) is the way the line of the mountain/cliff just about touches the prow of the boat and leads down to the reflection....kind of cuts the pic a bit too much.
Now I know we should set up rhythms in the comps, but this is just a little more obvious than you'd usually do I think.............just MHO - feel free to slap me down......someone is sure to!!!!!

Maureen , I am pleased you spotted that - you are right - I shall go back & cut the mountain back a tad so that the prow isn't touching it .
It is good to have this kind of feedback & I appreciate you guys & gals taking the trouble to let me have it .... after all we can't really expect accolades all the time- though it is nice to garner praise too & thanks for kind comments as well.
No I do not hone my knives - but a good idea, shall give it a go sometime!!!
Cheers, Alexandra

paloma
10-12-2004, 02:46 PM
So now I have adjusted the problem area on photoshop . Let me know if this works better I think it does. Cheers Alexandra

Charlie's Mum
10-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Hi Alexandra - isn't it amazing what a difference a tiny adjustment makes?
I think it's now finished - well, when you've done the painting bit!!!!! :D :D

paloma
10-13-2004, 04:20 AM
Thanks Maureen, Yes it makes all the difference - why did I not see it!!!
Even my hubbie who is a retired Art Director did not see it - though he did express the opinion that there was something not quite right!!! there you go...
Now I shall get back to the pic & put matters right & hopefully sell - that boat in the harbour has been painted by almost all the artists here - mine is a little different in that the emphasis is on the water reflections - so who knows fingers crossed!!

:) Cheers Alexandra

HRH Goldie
10-13-2004, 05:35 AM
I am so jealous Alexandra! To be able to get this effect and quality of painting and with knifes! I take my hat off to you. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The colour pallette really works well with the subject and that water rendition is lovely.
I read what Maureen said and looked at your digi fix. I must be really stupid coz I couldn't see anything wrong with it so my eye mustn't be that good lol and also, couldn't see the difference between the 2 pics. Mind you probably its because they are not side by side (at least that's my excuse :o ).
I will watch and see if I can spot later on - well I am here to learn after all :wink2:

PS Been thinking about you and I hope you got the water probs sorted.

Christine

paloma
10-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi Christine,
How sweet of you to remember our water probs here in Spain. Just hope it will be resolved amicably as soon as poss now. I think you mentioned we women being able to multi task!! Well you must have a lap top to take around with you in order to answer all those posts from the WDE !!! everyone seemed to have such fun that week due to your hosting & great pics.

The difference between the two images is so slight that it would be easy to miss - I just shortened the mountain enough so that the prow of the boat wasn't touching - made a big difference & I should have known better :mad:
Thanks for looking & comments. Cheers, Alexandra