PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Simmons new website. by Arnold Lowrey

Arnold Lowrey
10-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I have raised this as a new thread because I was totally gobsmacked with your work
www.nicholassimmons.com

I spent nearly 40 years in engineering and picked what I know by curiosity with no formal training but maybe I will move closer to you if they give me a longer life
The Tarantella, I love. Also Zarzuela- bu then again, Larissa Ely is a real beauty!
You are painting in the direction I have been wanting to go for some time. Your knowledge of colour is magic.
The painters you name on your site are also my favorites., particularly Singer and Turner
However, sufficient to say I am impressed and thought you ought to know what I think .
You deserve and will make a fortune

Best wishes
Arnold

nes7827
10-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Arnold I believe you are the best watercolorist I've seen on WetCanvas. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes saying that - I think it's the general consensus.
Your comments bring tears to me eyes. I hope someday to meet you in the gorgeous Welsh countryside (Rangland Castle would be my choice), and shake your hand.

Nicholas Simmons

Arnold Lowrey
10-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Arnold I believe you are the best watercolorist I've seen on WetCanvas. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes saying that - I think it's the general consensus.
Your comments bring tears to me eyes. I hope someday to meet you in the gorgeous Welsh countryside (Rangland Castle would be my choice), and shake your hand.

Nicholas Simmons
Nicholas
I have always been brought up to tell the truth
If you tell the truth, you never have to remember what you said.

The paintings are stunning. I would recommend ev3ryone to look at them and they will have a sharp lesson in what it is all about - good shapes, good composition, fabulous colour, excitement abounding!
I know I am very fond of what i like but this surely is not going over the top

I would like to hear some more comments on this great artisit
Arnold
p.s. Nicholas, you can quote me

beachbreaker
10-09-2004, 02:00 PM
What has happened to this site
I cannot see anything.

Sylvielu
10-09-2004, 02:52 PM
What a nice compliment. I've been meaning to ask, Nes are you any relation to Gene Simmons? Ever since you came your name has rang a bell with me from somewhere. I know I"ve seen one of your pieces in an art magazine. You're a vocalist also? Perhaps a cd somewhere?

After viewing your work I've began to understand it more. I like it. I also like Arnold's style also. :wave:

Dake
10-09-2004, 08:50 PM
I have to echo the words of both Arnold and Nick. The truth is that both of you are Generals in watercolour. I know I feel very honored to be sharing this community with two incredibly gifted, accomplished and sincerely darn nice blokes. Just to be inspired by you guys and recieve your personal critiques and comments is pure gold. Thanks..now just don't go anywhere soon ok!
David

1065tomh
10-10-2004, 05:15 AM
What has happened to this site
I cannot see anything.

Try too skip www. Try this link http://nicholassimmons.com/

Agree with you Arnold! Nicholas Simmons is a great artist but so are you!!

And David (Dake)... I think we could add you to the same list of great watercolour artistīs!! I Just love your paintings!

DavidBR
10-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Why is it that engineers admire Nick's work so much? I'm also an engineer of 30 years with a lack of formal art background similar to Arnold's description - the difference is Arnold is an incredible watercolour painter. I also admire Nick's work tremendously and appreciate the insight in his writing - to take the time to share this with us is much appreciated.

Perhaps as engineers we recognize the expression of a true artist in those works - since as engineers we are mostly left-brain thinkers, his work immediately excites our right-brain thinking.

Congratulations, Nick, on your web site organization - many great paintings there for us to look at. I'm especially attracted to those in your gallery 2 and gallery 1 - love the textures and the luminous washes. The Tarantella painting is superb - the expressions of movement and colour could not be improved upon.

Arnold Lowrey
10-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Why is it that engineers admire Nick's work so much? I'm also an engineer of 30 years with a lack of formal art background similar to Arnold's description - the difference is Arnold is an incredible watercolour painter. I also admire Nick's work tremendously and appreciate the insight in his writing - to take the time to share this with us is much appreciated.

Perhaps as engineers we recognize the expression of a true artist in those works - since as engineers we are mostly left-brain thinkers, his work immediately excites our right-brain thinking.

Congratulations, Nick, on your web site organization - many great paintings there for us to look at. I'm especially attracted to those in your gallery 2 and gallery 1 - love the textures and the luminous washes. The Tarantella painting is superb - the expressions of movement and colour could not be improved upon.
Thanks for your nice words. I was an electrical enginner with the power companies for 37 years. The nearest I got to painting in work was being put in charge of the tower painting contracts. The micacious iron oxide paint was pretty thick and went on 10 gallons per coat per tower. Ha
I took up painting over 30 years ago to find a hobby as far away from engineering as possible. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy engineering - I did. But the old saying "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy!"
By the way Delacroix also said "Colour is the fruit of life"-I think then that Nicholas owns a very large fruit company! -ha
Arnold

NodakerDeb
10-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Checking in for a second --

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO to all that has been said.

We are ALL very enriched by the willingness of so many talented people willing to share their work, and methods with us. I don't want to list names because so many have taken the time to do WIP's, etc, and although not every style appeals to everyone, there is something here for each of us to learn from.

I am grateful for all of the participants :clap:

Deb

nes7827
10-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Dake, David, and Deb - the 3Ds (good band name) we're all in the same boat, really, and considering the size of the ocean, we've all got about the same chances to sink or swim.

1065 - thank you very much for putting me onto a solution for what has been a problem with my website for a long time. I'm going to send the info you and Arnold have provided to my guy, and see what can be done. You are the first person to tell me what is going on.

Sylvie, if I had a dollar for every time somebody asked me that, I'd be as rich as Gene Simmons. I play guitar (much better than he does, if I may be so bold). You tell me - is there a family resemblence?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2004/43141-megene.jpg

Arnold, I took a couple of days off because of you - something I can't afford to do. Thank you also for mentioning our little baby girl, who shares my middle name of Ely - named after that island town my ancestors are from, surrounded by the river Ouze. She blows a kiss your way. -Nicholas (oh, and lets make that Ragland Castle)

Woodsy
10-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Like some others I too had a blank screen when trying to access the website. This happened on both my own and a friend's PC. Furthur investigation showed that it was being zapped by ad filter software installed on the machines, in one case by Yahoo popup blocker and the other by Proxomitron ad filter. On bypassing the filters the website displayed as it should. The latter software reported, rather smugly, that it had 'killed a Javascript Banner'. Seemed to be the way the slide show on the front page was implemented that it didn't like.
Hope this is of some help.
Al.

nes7827
10-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks Woodsy - my website guy is saying the same thing- that's it's probably pop-up software or browsers reacting to the home page slideshow.
Somebody just told me that using http://nicholassimmons.com will work for those having trouble. But he's going to look into it.
Nicholas Simmons

Deb Leger
10-14-2004, 09:31 PM
Like some others I too had a blank screen when trying to access the website. This happened on both my own and a friend's PC. Furthur investigation showed that it was being zapped by ad filter software installed on the machines, in one case by Yahoo popup blocker and the other by Proxomitron ad filter. On bypassing the filters the website displayed as it should. The latter software reported, rather smugly, that it had 'killed a Javascript Banner'. Seemed to be the way the slide show on the front page was implemented that it didn't like.
Hope this is of some help.
Al.

About a month ago, everytime I tried to get into Nick's site, I too got nothing but a blank screen. Through a lot of fiddling around, I found out that the ad blocker in my Norton was blocking it. (I use Norton Internet Security.) So, if I turned the ad blocker off, I got in with no problems and saw Nick's great work!

(Afterwards though, the ad blocker goes right back on 'cause I love it!)

nes7827
10-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks for posting that, Deb. It seems to definitely be a problem with pop-up blockers, or browsers, not operating systems. The slideshow on the homepage trips those things apparently. I also just learned that going to
http://nicholassimmons.com (no www prefix) gets around it also.

I want to stress that there are NO ads or pop-ups on my site of any kind - it is entirely under my own dedicated domain-name. Thanks again, Nick

ShannonAnne
10-16-2004, 11:55 PM
First of all, I want to ditto the compliments to your website & your work. I particularly like Olga #3 and In a Mist from Gallery 6. Is that metallic or just color magic?

I also wanted to let you know that I too had trouble accessing your site, but I have trouble with some other sites as well. I believe it may be related to my internet security - probably Norton doing it. I have to keep my security fairly high, though. I can access your site going to http://nicholassimmons.com on Netscape, but not on Internet Explorer. I have not yet figured out why, but I thought I would pass it on for troubleshooting purposes.

Funny you should mention Ragland castle...check my little webpage (which I still have yet to improve) and you will see what I mean. Never have been to Wales myself, but my parental units loved it. My little sister lived in a tent in Pembrokeshire excavating an iron-age fort for two whole months a couple of years ago...only the young, I tell ya!

Carry on,
Shannon

NodakerDeb
10-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Nick,

I've never had trouble accessing your website.

A. I must have Carte Blanc, or

B. I've got 'loose' cookies :evil: :D :evil: :D :evil: :D :evil: !! :clap:

Deb

nes7827
10-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Shannon Ragland....of course. Should have known you'd have something up your sleeve :wink2: It is my favorite castle there - in ruins, basically, but austere and screaming history. Here are some photos from a few years ago. The one of me is in the top of the highest tower. Check out the road sign. At least they have signs (drive around Russian someday) - can you imagine stopping at a gas station to ask directions to.....Ynysgynwraidd??? We'd need Arnold with us for that one.
Deb, your cookies were last seen at the corner of Sunset & LaCienaga, heading west. :) Nick

ShannonAnne
10-18-2004, 12:33 AM
LOL, Deb...loose cookies...that cracked me up. Sounds like your computer is quite nasty...hehe.

Hey Nick, I am jealous. I would love to go to the ruins...my parents went about 20 years ago and stayed in Bath, among other places. They enjoyed navigating the countryside - Dad apparently jumped out of the car to take a photo and left the rental car in gear, so it (with my mom inside) started to roll right off a cliff. Thought that was an oddly funny story. His photos were excellent, as are yours, Nick! The names are crazy...my little sis is *still* trying to teach herself Welsh.

My sister Kelly traveled around a bit when she was in Wales, even without a car, but could not make it to Monmouth. Stayed in Bath and Cardiff by catching rides with friends from the dig, and was SO excited to meet Jane Seymour (a local, I believe) at a costume institute exhibit opening in Bath. Afraid I am responsible for my sister's reaction since Somewhere In Time is one of my all-time favorite movies. Kelly loved Cardiff so much that she talked about moving there. But Washington D.C. beckoned, so she answered that call instead. The exotica of Wales could not compare with the brilliant beefcake of D.C.!

Carry on,
Shannon

nes7827
10-19-2004, 02:25 AM
Hope you make it there one of these days - Wales is gorgeous. I like Bath quite a bit, a very nice town. They have an annual guitar festival. And the Roman baths are cool. Here's a pic of them, and another of from Ragland or maybe Chepstow, can't remember.

Arnold Lowrey
10-19-2004, 03:16 AM
I love Bath. It was taken over a few years ago by aggressive beggars on the streets but the poice have now cleared them out.
Arnold

lensman
10-19-2004, 12:57 PM
I remember seeing the WIP for "Faded Glory" and just waiting for updates was hard work; I can't imagine having to paint in such detail with watercolour.

Had a look at your site Nicholas, and was struck with the thought that the 'detail' shots could be taken as works of art in their own right.

And talking of detail have you posted any of your Miami Beach series here on WC, in particular some details? I couldn't tell if the images were a little pixellated due to being compressed too much or if that is actually how they look.

Glenn

nes7827
10-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the message Glenn. The larger Miami paintings I sold before I could get really good pictures of them. That has happened with many paintings, and there are probably 50 I have no picture of at all, good or bad. I got a great 8 megapixel Sony digital camera a few months ago, so the photo problem is fixed for good.
I posted a couple of small Miami paintings a while back:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205403

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205421

Thank you for writing, Nick