PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at Art!

ErthAnngel
10-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Well, I have never been an artist. I haven't tried to be "artistic" since I got a C- in my 9th grade pottery class. LOL! But for some reason I was suddenly struck by the urge to attempt painting about 3 weeks ago. I am totally clueless about techniques and the basics of even drawing much less using paint!
These are my first attempts. So any thoughts on what I'm could do to improve etc. would be appreciated! The first two are done on wooden boards that I bought in the craft shop, and the last is on Heavy dute paper. I know my style is more "cartoonish" than the beautiful realism that most of you achieve, but that's kinda what I am going for. :wave:

Tridun
10-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Your paintings really make me smile, and the colours are so vibrant!!!
Remember that all artists start with a sudden 'urge'. I got started on a whim myself, and can't seem to stop, so you should just keep going until the urge ceases.

Patricia

Georgi
10-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Well, I think these are fun...and if something brings a smile to my face when I look at it, then it can't be all wrong! :D

Good on you, erthangel...drawing, painting, poetry and pottery are an expression of the individual...and I reckon you've done well. I love the brightness and the good humour displayed.

Glad to have you aboard the art train...destination unknown...but guaranteed fun along the way! :wave:

Lee :cat:

damar
10-09-2004, 12:33 AM
You don't have to "feel" like, or even "be" an artist to portray a happy heart and a love of color! (and these paintings have.)
Your work has a poster quality to it, that allows you to concentrate on getting the feel of the paint and what you can make your brush do. After some practice, you can focus on composition, details and the inspiring things around you.
Thanks for sharing! :)

ErthAnngel
10-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Thank you everyone for you comments and encouragment. I tried a more serious peice tonight (the pepper project). This is harder than it looks, LOL! :cat:

Bertoni
10-09-2004, 05:20 AM
Your paintings have a definite style going with a wonderful happy feeling for color! :clap:
Keep painting....and the techniques will come!!! I can see by your work that painting is something you really enjoy doing!!

Charlie's Mum
10-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Wow! You've already got what most artists search years for - a style!
These are really happy pieces - with expression and clarity.......keep going please!

These would make great greetings cards - maybe you should print and try them! :D

ExpressiveAngie
10-09-2004, 08:31 AM
I agree with maureen , print on cards they would look fantastic.
Whimisical Fun you have here... :)

joa
10-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Wonderful work! Color, style, everything--just great!

Thank you everyone for you comments and encouragment. I tried a more serious peice tonight (the pepper project). This is harder than it looks, LOL!
ErthAnngel, every painting I do makes me think that--it's always harder than I thought it would be! I guess that's how you stretch yourself...

Jo

Faded
10-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Welcome to wetcanvas ErthAnngel. Love these colors, and guess what? Once you started painting, you started being an artist :) Keep at it!
-Faded

ErthAnngel
10-10-2004, 02:20 AM
Again, thank you to everyone! I am so lucky to have stumbled upon such a friendly and insightful forum! :clap:

This is my latest "just for fun" piece. The background was painted several days ago as a failed experiment in layering colors on top of black. Todaythe pup and the pig were painted on scraps, cut out, and glued in place. I'm not entirely sure what is going on here, but I like it! LOL! :p

drunkencoyote
03-08-2008, 07:53 PM
If your indulge me to paraphrase a bit,"I may not know art but I know that Evil Kitten picture is pretty cool."
daemeon hampton

Mz_Sketch_Pad
03-08-2008, 08:08 PM
u are a natural.. realism isn't the only art... i really like the way you did that the last one.. you've got something inside of u and it is really shining thru!!!

~~Kathleen
03-08-2008, 08:20 PM
You show a lot of technical skills in your paintings.
I would agree with everyone else...Keep it up!
~~Kathleen

Linee
03-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I love the second one especially, the jazz player and the moon. What a fun style to them all!

MrsG_SoCal
03-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Love the green framed one, and the trumpet player. Charlie's Mum is right - you have a style!! Hope you keep it up and love what you're doing!

Sorry, but the evil kitty just freaks me out.

dejaa
03-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Supper fun, they are all beautiful, but I think my favorate is the one that has the moon with the man and the bugle. Love the colors and design of this one.

Keep Painting!:clap:

sonita
03-08-2008, 10:41 PM
LOL WHAT HAPPENED HERE? This thread started in 2004 :) :) :) Nice and colorful though
Soni