PDA

View Full Version : Your advice would help

droll13
10-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi all,

After going to the Huntington Beach (California) Art League meeting on Wednesday, realizing what a good organization this is, meeting Mary Lou (Faafil), and seeing how ecstatic ML was at her Honorable Mention award - I joined the HB Art League and have decided to enter something in next month's members competition.

A while back I painted 2 small (approx 6" x 8") sketches that seem to go together. The rules of the members competition limit you to one submittal in a given medium. So I'm trying to decide:

1) Which one to have matted & framed to enter?
2) Should I have them both framed together as one work?
3) If so, should I have them in landscape or portrait orientation?

I've made an attempt to suggest how they might look matted and framed (Imagine that the outer black border is a black frame).

So my question is, if it were you, would you submit #1, #2, #3, or #4?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/23514-diox_on_gray-blue_STRAW.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/23514-purple_bush.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/23514-combo-landscape.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/23514-combo-portrait.jpg

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Uschi
10-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Dave, they are both REALLY nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't know which one to pick to take to the Association.

As to them framed together - although they are in the same style, in my opinion they are too far apart in colour for that purpose.

Let's see what the others think!
Uschi

droll13
10-08-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks Uschi.

By golly - you might be right. They are quite different in color. Isn't it odd that we can't see someting so obvious until someone else points it out?

tigre255
10-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Oh hard choice......I like them both, but have to agree with Uschi on this one........wait and see what other have to say......they are both beautiful paintings.......

Lighthouser
10-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Either is very nice but I don't much like them together - the style may be similar but the mood is entirely different between the two.

If you don't have a strong preference between the two you might look at recent work from art league members and choose the one that seems to fit the best. If most of their work is upbeat and colorful go with the yellow one. If moody and cool, go with the blue one. If there isn't a trend, flip a coin! :)

Cathie Jones
10-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Dave, I like the blue one. It looks organized and deliberate, almost Chinese style. For some reason the other one gives me kind of a jangled nerve feeling. I think it's the orange in the background . . . anyway, that's just one amateur's opinion without seeing them IRL, I wouldn't take it too seriously. :wink2:

artmom
10-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Dave, I really like #1 the best. I suggest you try different sized mats before deciding on one to use. The other painting is nice, but I agree that they don't really go together. :)

Lyn

artdreamer1
10-08-2004, 09:46 PM
I personally like the purple bush one better than the other--agree that they're too far apart colorwise to put together-- but would also agree with John(lighthouser) that you should check on what colors/styles are being done(just my personal opinion lol).

Michele

droll13
10-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback Barb, John, Cathy, Lyn, and Michelle. The consensus seems to be that they don't work well together, and I can see that now.

Oriental is exactly the feeling I was going for on #1.

I didn't see any strong trend at the one meeting I went to. Seems like the most popular works in various media covered the gamut of styles.

BTW, the orange cloud in #2 bothers me too (you know how it is - one of those things that "seemed like a good idea at the time"). On the other hand some acquaintances have said they like it. Go figure!

The HB Art League also has an ongoing display at the local library. I'm leaning towards having them framed separately and displaying both there.

I agree that different sized mats (larger I presume) are called for. I threw the uploaded pics together too quickly using PSP's "Add Borders" function and should have taken more time.

painterbear
10-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Dave,

I like the first one the best, it just seems to flow together and the colors are pleasing to my eye.

Since it is so small, you could give it a really large (4") double mat to set it off.

Good luck at the show.

Sylvia

droll13
10-09-2004, 07:15 AM
Thanks Sylvia. Looks like there's a consensus for #1.

Little Old Lady
10-09-2004, 08:18 AM
I agree that #1 is my favorite.
JoAnn

JudyL
10-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Yep, #1

juneto
10-09-2004, 01:16 PM
I like #3 ,I like the contrast to each other, Everyone will have a different opinion. Look againand decide yourself

droll13
10-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks JoAnn, Jlyn, and juneto. I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to give me their ideas - it helps me a lot. You're all good people.

Faafil
10-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi Dave!

I'm trying to catch up on the last few days...

I like #1 as well...would look great with a 4" mat as someone (Uschi?) suggested...

Yeah, me too - now I'm trying to decide what to frame to take in next month..:)

droll13
10-09-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks ML. I'm convinced that a wide mat is the way to go.

mr sandbanx
10-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Ask an easy question why don't you!!

This is tough Dave. But I really keep going back to the first one. The bluees really are appealing.

Whatever you choose good luck you will do well. (And send the other one to me!)

Suggets when you have some time: paint one of these much larger. I think it could be brilliant!

Good luck,

Chris

seedy
10-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Dave....
#1 and a large double mat.....have you checked to see if they allow other than white on white for watercolours?
I suppose they do since its not only a watercolour group.....good luck.

Deb Leger
10-16-2004, 06:54 PM
My vote is for number 1 also - it'd look awesome with that wide mat mentioned.

And the best of luck to you.

droll13
10-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Thanks Chris, Brian and Deb.

I don't know about trying these larger; for some reason that doesn't work for me - every time I've tried to work large the results were disappointing. Must be a character flaw of some sort.

They're being framed double matted, with a large (3 1/2 to 4") outer mat, a thin inner mat of dark blue/purple, and a simple black frame. The HB Art League actually encompasses all media, not just watercolor. But I'm sure that an off-white outer mat is acceptable.

I've definitely decided on #1. I'm not expecting much out of my first foray into a competition, just trying to get my feet wet.

maltman
10-16-2004, 08:32 PM
I know I'm late, but I think #1 too

Brian

mr sandbanx
10-16-2004, 09:04 PM
I don't know about trying these larger; for some reason that doesn't work for me - every time I've tried to work large the results were disappointing. Must be a character flaw of some sort.

Dave I doubt its a character flaw! LOL. I met Gail (Strawberry Wine) the other day and she had a half sheet painted and on the wall. I decided to try it for the fisrt time and aside from the gallons of paint I seem to be using, it is quite an experience! I think the first image here, painted large, would make a great feature to any bare wall, anywhere!

Again, good luck getting your feet wet.

Chris