PDA

View Full Version : Different names for same color??? Help this newbie, please!!

RobinZ
10-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi, guys, I've looked for this but can't find it. I have a set of pan Senneliers. I'm taking my first watercolor class (yeah!!!) and my teacher gave us a list of the colors she wants us to have. But some of the names I have and the names she gives are different! Can anyone direct me to where I might find the "synonems"? Thanks so much.

artmom
10-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Robin, check out handprint.com

It's a wonderful site, slightly overwhelming.

In order to match names through different brands, you'll need to know the pigment #s. Handprint will help with that!

Good luck, and welcome!

Lyn

RobinZ
10-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Thank you so much, Artmom! It IS overwhelming...but I have a color chart with the numbers, so I think I can do this!!

artmom
10-09-2004, 05:33 AM
Great, Robin! :D :wave:

Lyn

painterbear
10-09-2004, 06:04 AM
Robin,

Before you rush out to buy more paints, check with your instructor at the first class. You may already have all you need in your Senneliers pan, even if some of them aren't exactly the same as the ones on the instructor's list.

I've taken a number of different classes and workshops and received lists of colors from the instructors—they all have their favorites and they aren't necessarily the same. I usually just take my regular palette of paints and substitute a color that is close to the one called for if I don't have it. Otherwise I'd have all kinds of paints and colors I might never use again once class was over.

As long as you have a warm and cool version of the three primaries plus burnt sienna, you can mix up a huge range of colors. All the other colors are fun to have, but not absolutely essential. In fact, as a beginner, you will probably be better off with a limited number of colors and learn to mix them into various shades and other colors.

Good luck in class and most importantly try to have fun learning this wonderful medium.

Sylvia