PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash, Friday October 8th****

mr sandbanx
10-07-2004, 11:29 PM
It's as good a time as any to start a new wash. I see New Zealish here somewhere and she is a day and a half ahead, so it surely would be ok by her.

Yesterday: Not very good sleep due to last minute fixes for Painting and Poem Challenge and slight worry if would effort be good enough, combined with horrible cold and fever. Up and late for work, or later than normal anyway.

(Question for KTRAYN and her 24 hour advice hotline? You ever arrive at the course and caddy is already telling his third joke, or Monty Python impression and its not yet 8.30? Don't you just get the urge to throttle him? Would it be an excusable offense?)

Message arrives from Kevin with his efforts appended. Knowing I will be late home, I spend lunch hour tidying up my own poem, and organizing both poems into email, sent home to give head start.

Leave work early and crawl across Toronto in rush hour traffic to St. Catharines (near Niagara Falls) to get daughter from University. Drive like stink and get home 7.30. 385 kilometers in all!! World record. Cut, paste, patch post, and bob's yer uncle we are done. Week 1 under our belt and sit back to enjoy a chat with the girls.

Three minutes later: start worrying about next week and those PINK umbrellas!!!

Oh well...

Hope everyone is well, and having a great day. I may have a stinking cold but I am generally having way too much fun to let it bother me. Besides, it's thanksgiving here so I have to be mindful of how lucky I am...

As always and etc.,
Chris

Christie
10-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Morning All!

Hi Chris. No speeding tickets on the pickup trip? Amazing...:D Can't speak to the throttling of the caddies as I do not golf...:evil::D

Hi to anyone else I miss while typing.:)

I get a day off on Friday! After the last few days, I need it. My son has the day off school and we are both going to loaf around all day (except for lunch with my husband).

Take care.

ktrayn78
10-08-2004, 12:37 AM
(Question for KTRAYN and her 24 hour advice hotline? You ever arrive at the course and caddy is already telling his third joke, or Monty Python impression and its not yet 8.30? Don't you just get the urge to throttle him? Would it be an excusable offense?)

Dear Mr. Clueless in Canada,
Are you outta your mind? You have a friend that tells jokes in the morning and is still doing Monty Python in the year 2004...and you're complaining about it?! I haven't seen a good Monty Python scene enacted at the grocery store/Starbucks/golf course/whatever in I don't know how long. :crying: Please, imagine if you will...You arrive at the golf course to find your caddie (a dental hygenist named Stan) flossing and perusing the morning obituaries. Yikes! So there you go, one more thing to be thankful for on this momentous day of Canadian Thanks-giving!
Yours truly, Big Know-it-All

Hey guys, my cat's back. You didn't know she was missing because I was too emotional to tell you about it, but you can all breathe a sigh of relief cause this evening at dusk I walk up the basement stairs and who should be hanging on the screen door like those annoying garfield dolls with the suction cup hands - well you probably guessed it by now - it was my cat. I gave her TWO cans of cat food and some milk so she'll remember whose boss :cat: next time she gets it into her head to run off.

Long emotional day, off to bed.

jaytee
10-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Another question for Big-Know-It-All............

Just what am I doing here at 5.50 AM?

from Confused, Blighty.

#
#
#
#
#
#

Worrying about Week 2, thats wot

BBL HH&J & WL

PS HAPPY THANKSGIVING CANUCKS !!!

Roun2it
10-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Morning each,

Whoops didn't know we had started a new one so suppose better post here too.

Spritey next time I'm in the art shop I'll ask for a pack of ribbed rubbers.

And the funny thing is they wouldn't even bat an eyelid, the word 'rubber' for pencil mark withdrawal is so steeped in our society that we don't even think of any other meaning.

I love the sniggering it causes across the pond.

How do the big art suppliers market these.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/23314-rubber.jpg

Off to read stuff............

Morning JT, have you wet the bed?............... :o :eek: :evil:

mr sandbanx
10-08-2004, 01:02 AM
Kim late me clarify:

Two guys at work, both from England, Monty Python era, both named BRIAN.

Every time they pass each other in the office guess what they say??? For seven years running?.

OH,.....BWIAN!!!

I am going insane Miss Know it All.. I dont think you understand how serious this is. And tomorrow, I will show you something even worse!!!!!!

Chris

jaytee
10-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Morning JT, have you wet the bed?...............

.........not since my mamma took me out of nappies......... thats diapers to you across the pond ......... :wink2: so Im dry not drookit , thanks all the same :evil:

mr sandbanx
10-08-2004, 01:11 AM
Edit first post: daughter had Elvis CD, it was a long and LOUD ride home. We do an amazing Love me Tender, ever since she was six and my first Doo wop backup singer. My daughter is awesome.

Kevin, Kneaded? is that a silly question or what?

Parent were from england, so a rubber to me is the same as you guys, but I love to ask for one from the secretary at work form time to time, even though we don't even use pencils anymore.

Jaytee sorrry I got you up so early, was we making too much noise?
I am off to bed, g'nite

Chris

djdedman
10-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Hi Washuns
Morning Chris, sounds like you had a fun day :)Happy Thanksgiving.
Christie, Glad you got a day off, enjoy!
Ktrayn, Just looked at your paintings, and read about your cat, glad it came back home.
Jaytee, Kev good to see you all here.
Have appt. early in morn for flu shot, guess thats why I'm wide awake. :D
Sprained foot still giving me problem, thats why I haven't been around.
Went to Art store yesterday found the watercolor canvas, can hardly wait to try it out.
Guess I best try to get some sleep since I have to get up early.
Wishing everyone a great day.
Hugs
Jackie

vasilkadifeli
10-08-2004, 01:55 AM
Good morning all :wave:...

There are so many posts nowadays here that I cannot go over them in detail... but I wish happy recovery to all those with health problems...

Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadians... 12 of Oct ?... I thought you were celebrating it the same day with the Americans (was that the third Thursday of November?)... I would appreciate a few Thanksgiving recipes especially with pumpkin :D...

Yesterday evening painted from Jana's photo... that interesting church building in Kington... but didn't like it at all... so I don't think I am going to post it :rolleyes:...

PS. forgot what was "CRS" the short for... can somebody tell it for me again please... I have seen it so many times lately in your posts...

amaze_1101
10-08-2004, 02:24 AM
Does anyone want a child? I have one going for cheap. Good teeth long legs, strong aroma and plenty of lip.

Kim, pleased to see the cats back now please go ask him how he goes missing so I can suggest it to my son! :D

Friday night, hubby's playing golf, I'm home with the four kids and they are driving me in sane tonight, especially the eldest one (14). ...be back in a minute ...off to pour a wine...

Ok now thats better.

For your interest. Here in New Zealand a rubber is an eraser and a rubber is also one of those other things ribbed and sometimes flavoured :evil: :D Imagin how confusing THAT can be!

Vasil for some of us 'CRS' stands for Can't Resist Sarcasm. :D Just kidding. I have no clue either what it really stands for.
Happy thanksgiving to those celebrating. :wave:

Off to post in the gallery....

Roun2it
10-08-2004, 02:24 AM
Vasil are you joking..............CRS stands for ............wait for it......

You can't remember?

You sure u can't remember

Well CRS means.......

Can't Remember Sh*t (or Stuff in the more civilised UK). :evil:

Vasil why don't you paint along with me and Chris, I'm sur it will help as you see how different people do different things with the image in front of them.

Yorky
10-08-2004, 03:35 AM
Morning all! :wave:

Very watery sky this morning low clouds but with white patches and tiny triangles of cobalt blue shining through.

Up until 1am this morning - unusual for me it's usually midnight on the dot. We had our neighbours around - Meda is Chairman of the council this year and she had commissioned me to paint her official Christmas card. Trouble is I didn't like the subject and couldn't get started on it :rolleyes:

Good news is she has found another picture and doesn't need me - Yippee!. What a relief! Now I can get back to finishing some of the numerous half finished paintings stacked on my board.

Congratulations on your paint 'n Poem challenge, Kev and Chris - a wonderful start!

Sorry you still have the boot, Lyn, but sounds as if its days are numbered. Better safe than sorry.

CRS (Can't remember s*d all ) so greetings to JT,Jackie, Vasil, Kt, Elaine, and all to follow.

BBL, Doug

Sharon Douglas
10-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Good morning everyone,

I`m just nipping in quick to say hello, then I`m off to the cemetary to put some flowers on my daughters grave, the off to do the weekly shop :rolleyes:

So best wishes to everyone, and happy Thnksgiving
SEEYA LATER..

painterbear
10-08-2004, 04:44 AM
Good Morning all,

It is a little past 4:30 a.m. here in Oakwood. There is a BRILLIANT crescent moon caught in the upper branches of the tree outside my window. Do you think it will get away???? :eek:

{{{{Sharon}}}}

Vasil, Here is another acronym to resurrect: TMTRTI (Too many to reply to individually). LOL!

Not much happening here with me. May give the support bandage Char suggested for my knee a try if this rest doesn't do the trick. It feels better already after two days off, but I'll see what happens when I try to do any distance later on.

I'm confused. :confused: :confused: :confused: My calendar has "Canadian Thanksgiving Day" marked on Monday, 11 October, but it seems as if our Canadian friends (Malty et. al.) are already celebrating it! Is it a four or five day festival???? Do you all have turkey and trimmings, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie for your Thanksgiving dinner like we do or do you do something else?

Hope all in the Waiting Room are feeling better today.

Off to look at the paintings in the Gallery now. SYL,

Sylvia

artmom
10-08-2004, 05:19 AM
:wave: everyone! Sylvia, that crescent moon is caught in a tree in my yard! :cool: However, the Morning Star is shining brightly over the dark, unseen mountains!

I went to bed and to sleep at 8 p.m. last night; woke about 1 am when Ed came to bed, but right back to sleep again until 4 am! Whoooee, seven hours sleep in the dark! ROFLOL I think I'm straightened out again.

Kev, you asked for an explanation of the football remarks Chris and I were exchanging: My husband, both sons, and a DIL all attended the University of Tennessee, about 20 miles from here. Their blood runs ORANGE (official team color). The name of the team is the Volunteers. Tennessee men and women have always volunteered in very large numbers to serve their country when needed. My husband, both sons, and both DILs all served in the Air Force (youngest son is still active as a Lt. Colonel). The Vols (short for Volunteers) draw crowds up to 109,000 a week, even when they are losing!!!

UT plays the University of Georgia "Bulldogs," or "Dawgs" in Tennessee vernacular, on Saturday in Georgia, "between the hedges." (U of Georgia was among the first to have hedges at the sidelines of their football field). Chris was teasing me about kicking, as our team was roundly "beaten about the head and shoulders" last Saturday and we will need all the help we can get this Saturday!! Aren't you glad you asked--NOT! ROFLMBO

GO VOLS! Beat the Dawgs!

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends in Canada. Lucky in where each of us lives, aren't we? :D

Best wishes to those in the virtual Medical Rooms!

May your today be better than your yesterday.

Lyn

Roun2it
10-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Thanks...........(insert scratch head icon here)

uhmm......uhmmn......clear throat.....Go Vols.....Go!!

Rip those scrawny Dawgs to pieces!!

(But shouldn't I be on the side of the British Bulldog!!)

madmum
10-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Morning peeps :wave:

Still giggling over the photos and fun in yesterday's wash :D Loved the pic of Sharon's booze stash - she didn't share it with me either! :eek: ;)

((((((Sharon))))))

Lyn, sorry you still have the boot, but at least it's only temporary!

JT it's hard to imagine you up and about at that time in the morning (unless you didn't go to bed in the first place? ;) )

LOL @ Bwian :D Wonder if Malty recalls a snail called Brian?

Kev, ribbed rubbers would damage the paper, not a good idea! lol I prefer blue rubbers :evil:

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends, whichever date you're celebrating!

Vasil, that interesting church is possibly the most complicated building in terms of perspective that I've ever seen! I think you should post it, I post everything because even the ones I hate end up teaching me something thanks to all the wonderful advice here!

Doug, congratulations on escaping the unwanted commission :D

DH and I went out for dinner last night, I thoroughly enjoyed my grilled chicken breast with tomato and garlic penne pasta, served with garlic ciabatta bread and salad.

Just watching an item on TV about a woman artist who paints and sculpts with CHOCOLATE! How on earth she can resist nibbling her work I don't know! :confused:

Hugs and white light to all who need them,

Ruth

Roun2it
10-08-2004, 05:50 AM
Didn't Mick Jaggers wife sculpt something out of a Mars bar? :evil: :eek:

JudyL
10-08-2004, 06:03 AM
Happy Friday, Ruth, I suppose after dealing with chocolate in heaps and buckets, it loses it's appeal after awhile. Hmmmm, maybe I will give it a try, I could eat tons of the stuff till I can't face it any more. Actually I did that once when I was a kid, finished of a bag of chocolate chips, and made myself ill, got over it though.
I think I am going to make my escape today and go to Harrogate. The "boys" are banging and scraping away moving the tank in toto the loft. Plus we have no heat or water, and I would be limited to making pots of coffee, and ironing. So....I think it sounds like a good day for shopping. (yea!!!)
I do want to go to Farrow and Ball anyway to look at wallpaper and paint. OH and BHS for jeans (petite) OH and Marks and Spencer? then there's Starbucks, a good idea anyway as these guys (DH is one) do go through the coffee.
So, behave everyone, The weekend is in reach.
Oh yes and the closest thing to pumpkin I have seen here is butternut squash, but recipes can be found on the internet!
BBL
JudyL

CharM
10-08-2004, 06:10 AM
History and Origin of Canadian Thanksgiving

In Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday in October. Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest. The harvest season falls earlier in Canada compared to the United States due to the simple fact that Canada is further north.

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an English explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Northern America. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now called Newfoundland, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving. Other settlers arrived and continued these ceremonies. He was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him - Frobisher Bay.

At the same time, French settlers, having crossed the ocean and arrived in Canada with explorer Samuel de Champlain, also held huge feasts of thanks. They even formed 'The Order of Good Cheer' and gladly shared their food with their Indian neighbours.

After the Seven Year's War ended in 1763, the citizens of Halifax held a special day of Thanksgiving.

During the American Revolution, Americans who remained loyal to England moved to Canada where they brought the customs and practices of the American Thanksgiving to Canada. There are many similarities between the two Thanksgivings such as the cornucopia and the pumpkin pie.

Eventually in 1879, Parliament declared November 6th a day of Thanksgiving and a national holiday. Over the years many dates were used for Thanksgiving, the most popular was the 3rd Monday in October. After World War I, both Armistice Day and Thanksgiving were celebrated on the Monday of the week in which November 11th occurred. Ten years later, in 1931, the two days became separate holidays and Armistice Day was renamed Remembrance Day.

Finally, on January 31st, 1957, Parliament proclaimed...

"A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed ... to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October.

...making coffee... bbl... when I'm actually awake...

Roun2it
10-08-2004, 06:25 AM
You said all that in your sleep.............I am impressed :p

BobH
10-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Edit first post: daughter had Elvis CD, it was a long and LOUD ride home. We do an amazing Love me Tender, ever since she was six and my first Doo wop backup singer. My daughter is awesome.

Chris
Chris - Isn't it great, having daughters? A couple weeks ago my oldest told me, out of the blue, 'I was thinking about when I was younger. Remember when we used to drive anywhere we would always sing Jimmy Buffett songs? That was so much fun!'. :D My daughters is awesome, too!

Katrayn - glad your cat's back.

Kevin - you asked how the art suppliers sell 'rubbers' on this side of the pond? In packs of three, of course! <groan> Ok, ok, I heard the collective groan, I'll stop... Oh, I used to be a caddy in my mis-spent youth and, the way I remember it, strangling your caddy is a God-given right and privilege of golfers everywhere.

Lyn - now that I live in Raleigh, I think I am required to pick between UNC, NC State and Duke. I'm so confused I even get the colors mixed up which is not endearing me to the locals :p

Oh, I had my first piece of Sweet Potato Pie last night. Well, :o , I had my first two pieces of Sweet Potato Pie last night. Man, is that delicious. I think maybe I'm just a southerner who's been misplaced for 50 years. I tried grits the other day at breakfast and loved 'em and now sweet potato pie, mmmmmm. I know I keep repeating sweet potato pie, but doesn't it just roll off your tongue and sound so good? Go ahead, repeat with me, sweet potato pie, sweet potato pie, sweet pota ... <klunk!> Oh, sorry to whoever just threw their shoe at me, I'll stop now.

Gotta get ready for work, anyway. I'm a little late.

Health and hope to all who need them!

ttfn

Bob

Olga
10-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Hi all,
Playing hooky from work for a few minutes. I escaped from a conference where I had to give a comment on some papers this morning and now can sit at home and actually get some work done... :) And I can look forward to a painting weekend (and hope I'll have something postable by Monday).
Jaytee--Relax! If you do not relax you will not be able to paint. and then you might miss your Monday deadline... and you know what is going to happen if you miss it, don't you??? :evil: :evil: :D * sorry--this is about the train of thought I get into when I wake up in the middle of the night, worried about finishing something in time... *
Chis--If you can't beat them, join them... Perhaps you need to buy a dead parrot?

LYN--Glad you had a good night's sleep. :)

Weaving to all the Thanksgiving-celebrating Canadians!

And back I go to get some work done.....

Olga

CharM
10-08-2004, 07:21 AM
You said all that in your sleep.............I am impressed :p

... better than my snoring!!! :D

Good morning Drookits! Woo hoo! JTIF... Coffee is brewed and smells heavenly... The first cup is ALWAYS the best...

Still not feeling the best and I was up and on the prowl every couple of hours last night... really unusual for me... :(

The sky is inky black and the stars are still poking through like thousands of illuminated pin holes... I'll be glad when we return to Standard Time...

Talked with Gail on the phone last night... She and her DH are picking up our JJ and Alan from the airport this afternoon...

Chris, my DH is a Monty Python fan... *handing over a tissue*... Drink green tea with lemon and honey... it will help...

Christie... I hope you and George have a very relaxing day! My Holiday is Monday and I'm looking forward to exactly the same thing...

Kim... reminds me of the Camp song...

:music: :music: But the cat came back - the very next day.
The cat came back!
We thought he was a gonner,
but the cat came back.
He just wouldn't stay away.
Du-du-du-doop! Meow! Du-wa,
Du-du-du-doop! Meow! Du-wa! :music: :music:

G'morning JT... :D

Hiya Kev... how's the knee??? When I was young, we called our galoshes *rubbers*... Grandma would always admonish me to leave my rubbers at the back door... :D

Jackie... so sorry that your sprain is still giving you problems!!! (())

Vasil... post your painting! I would never have posted anything at all if I were to wait until I'd done something I was totally pleased with!!! :D

Elaine... the *attitude* begins at 13 and generally ends somewhere between 19 and 25... and you have three more to go... ((())) and try to keep your sense of humour!

Doug... I have a hard time imagining that you have several unfinished paintings on your board... I would have thought you would be compelled to finish one before you start another... :D Nice wriggle out of the commission... Now... have fun finishing all those half-starts...

:wave: Sharon

Hi Syl... our Holiday really is on Monday... I'm serving our Dinner on Sunday, however 'cause DH has to work the Holiday... Your knee problem is putting you in the same predicament I'm in... I need to exercise my hip... but when I walk for any length of time, my hip hurts... so, I don't walk... which exacerbates my hip problem and then I need to exercise it... vicious cycle... (())) to you my friend...

Lyn-sis... glad you finally got some sleep!!! Especially since you could go to bed without the boot!

:wave: Ruth and JudyL...

Bob... sweet potatoe pie is too... sweet... :D And grits... *shudder*

Hi Olga... you wouldn't be trying to lay a guilt trip on JT now would you??? :evil:

I need to get back to work, too... so... Hugs and white light beaming to all in need... Have a happy and creative day everyone!

artmom
10-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Bob, that was my dadburned boot I threw at you! LOL Actually, Sweet Potato Pie does just roll off the tongue--and onto the hips! :evil: :D
You're going to love Thanksgiving here--ambrosia, pecan pie, etc. and all those good old Southern foods!

Olga, I finally got my days and nights straightened out one more time! :D

To tell you the truth, Ruth, I'm a bit nervous about taking off the boot! :eek: It has become a "security blanket" for me, I'm afraid! :rolleyes: After Ed gets up, I'm going to take the boot off and hang on to him for dear life and see if this poor new bone on an old ankle will support all of this weight!

Kev, thanks for that fantasticly loud cheer! I could hear it 'way over here!

"Weavin' " to all.

BBL

Lyn

vasilkadifeli
10-08-2004, 07:30 AM
CRS means... Can't Remember Sh*t (or Stuff in the more civilised UK). :evil:
Vasil why don't you paint along with me and Chris, I'm sur it will help as you see how different people do different things with the image in front of them.
Thanks' for the answer Kev... painting along with you :rolleyes:... you are both so good... well, may be I can paint one or two along you but I am not going to do that poem part for sure :D

Hi Sylvia, I think we should have a stciky thread at the top of the wc forum for all those acronyms... so Thanksgiving is on the 11th Oct for the Canadians... what aout you I think it was the third Thursday of November, wasn't it...

Vasil, that interesting church is possibly the most complicated building in terms of perspective that I've ever seen! I think you should post it, I post everything because even the ones I hate end up teaching me something thanks to all the wonderful advice here!

Hi Ruth, yes it must be that one... I guess you had done some plein air painting of it while at Kington... btw I am not sure anyone has mentioned its name... well, I'll decide on posting it or not :D...

Hi Char, thanks for the explantion of the Canadian Thanksgiving Day... I want to paint some other thing this weekend and I may post them both on monday...

:wave:ing to all others....

maltman
10-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Morning peeps :wave:

LOL @ Bwian :D Wonder if Malty recalls a snail called Brian

Ruth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/48302-brian.gif

Do I remember?....I modelled...myself after him!

Hello to everyone....hope all is well with you all

Life is one big thanksgiving!

Yorky
10-08-2004, 07:56 AM
I'm back!

Vasil - the church is the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin and is directly opposite JT's front door.

Spent the morning touching up a couple of old paintings from my monster heap, framed them up for tomorrow's exhibition at Skelmersdale library. I'll put a price of £25 on them - a little low but still represents a profit of around £20 each on materials, better on someone's wall than in my heap. Both framed to 16x12 :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/1046-Exhibition3010.jpg

Weather has turned very warm - well into 60's with sunlight streaming through my window. Went to Southport yesterday and at 5pm people were sitting out at street café's - wonderful for October.

Off to make a little lunch - BBL

Doug

Uschi
10-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!!! Going to be another beauty of a day and warm again.

So here we had this totally amazing, hot, summer day in October and what did I do with it, sit indoors and paint, and feeling guilty about sitting inside and painting LOL. Have to continue today because I am doing a WIP and can't leave my audience waiting too long. Well, that's a lie, because once I start a painting I can't stop until it's done :D

Char - so if your painting is almost done are we going to see it today??????? Thank you for this very detailed explanation about Thanksgiving!!! I didn't know, always thought Thanksgiving is giving thanks for a good harvest in every country. You learn something new every day, that's why we older people have senior moments, soooooo much more information for the brain to sort through than the younger people. Well, that's my theory and I am sticking with it.

Em - give Pam a hug for me!!!!!!!!! and I hope we don't have to wait another six months to see the rose painting!!!!

Lyn - so, how did it feel sleeping without "the boot" :D

Kev - there is a special thing on the market for picking off masking fluid, shaped like your # 1 picture, but hard plastic. Works wonderfully!!!!

Sylvia - sorry the art teacher cheated you out of a glorious fall painting :eek:

(((((((((Sharon)))))))))))

Ktrayn - I remember those times when my cats decided to go frolicking and forgot to come home. Glad yours decided to come home eventually, so did mine LOL

:wave: to Olga, Chris, Jackie, Vasil, Elaine, Doug, Ruth and Judy and Bob and all those who posted while I was typing!!!

Sending good thoughts to one and all and :wave: greetings!!!
Uschi

Uschi
10-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Doug, those paintings look WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't it fun to look at them after they've been framed. A piece of paper turned into an official, beautiful piece of art!!!
Uschi

Flattwo
10-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Morning Drookits

The weather is fantastic here today, not a cloud in the sky

Went for little drive yestarday to the Campsie Fells just north of here (see photo) got to the top of that hill and to my surprise I had a pucncture...argh!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/3457-DCP_6042_copy.jpg
Well I stood there "Glaikit" looking until my wife reminded me that I have to change the wheel...lol...Get my hands dirty I said...yes she said :D I did

Thinking of going away for the weekend again if this weather holds up

Good luck with your show Doug!

Does anyone else get fed up with the junk mail offering loans!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/3457-Banks.jpg

Take care all

Henry

ScarletLake
10-08-2004, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone

Busy day ahead for me. I received my packet of all the paperwork in the mail for my background check. OMG. It's going to take all weekend to fill it out. Plus next week have to go to Dr. office to get medical statement, have finger prints done, etc, etc, etc.

Tonight is Homecoming for our local high school. Dear 16 yo son has said for the past 3 weeks that he wasn't going. (I think to shy to ask anyone) Someone asked him. Picked him up yesterday after school & he says "Mom, I'm going to the dance Sat night. You gotta take me to get some clothes. I say "Lets go tonight" He says "I have powder puff football game & help me get my tuba in the car for tonight. So I will pick him up after school today at 2:45pm & rush out shopping & get him home by 5pm to get ready for football game tonight. Did I mention that DH & I both work tomorrow so also getting friend to take him for a haircut. Don't you just love em!!!!!

I work my last weekend coming up. I have 8 days left to work the current job. Last day will be Oct. 20th.

Well off to shower & get the day moving.

Anita

Starsprite
10-08-2004, 08:15 AM
For Sandbanxgivethanx and Maltymaltball,

Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries! :D :D

Love Monty Python!!!! So do my kids and hubby. :D

Happy Thanksgiving celebration to you Canucks and I think you are copying off of us so you can steal our pumpkin pie. :p

Kim..... glad your cat came back. I can just picture him/her stuck to your screen with feet like suction cups!!! LOL Poor thing!

Chis, my daughters and I sing all the time to the radio.... it's really funny when I switch it off and they are still singing, (all out of tune). Hee heee! Christine loves Elvis too.

Excellent paintings and poems in the Chris/Kev Challenge I might add!!! I'm printing them out and making my own little book with them. :)

Well TGIF and all that.....

Oh and Elaine, I feel your pain. I have a 15 yo daughter. Actually she is not as hard to handle as her older sister was at that age. But she is a wonderful person now and we get along great, so there is hope.

Nice to see you Jackie...hope that foot is healing.
Hope you get your boot off soon Lynn.
Char, your Thanksgiving menu sounds delish!!!! Look out for extra people on your doorstep. :)

Speaking of rubbers...those rubbery things some people wear on their fingers I guess to make things not so slippery have always looked embarrassing to me. I hate those things. :D :D

Have a great day!

vasilkadifeli
10-08-2004, 08:25 AM
...Spent the morning touching up a couple of old paintings from my monster heap, framed them up for tomorrow's exhibition at Skelmersdale library. I'll put a price of £25 on them - a little low but still represents a profit of around £20 each on materials, better on someone's wall than in my heap. Both framed to 16x12 :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/1046-Exhibition3010.jpg

Doug

Doug thanks for the name of the church... btw these are wonderful... but I couldn't understand your profit calculation.. do you mean that your paint materials costs plus the framing costs are all within £5 ?!!... unless you sell them unframed....

Lia-Chan
10-08-2004, 08:35 AM
To me it makes completely sense that rubber and eraser are the same thing. In Portuguese , the word we use for rubber (the material) we use also to eraser (the word is borracha , and people that know Spanish, don't mistake it with borracho , which means drunk in spanish. In Portuguese it's bêbado, porre, pinguço , etc.).

Lalala , i've been making nice drawings these times . I only wanted to have better materials (anyone can lend me 30 bucks ?), but i don't wanna ask my mom to buy them from USA (i'm too shy :P). I made some drawings using water and indian ink (like a watercolor, but only using grayscale) that got quite nice , but the paper buckled a lot (it was 145 gsm - the most used watercolor paper is 300 gsm).

Yorky
10-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Doug thanks for the name of the church... btw these are wonderful... but I couldn't understand your profit calculation.. do you mean that your paint materials costs plus the framing costs are all within £5 ?!!... unless you sell them unframed....

Thanks, Vasil, they look a litle better when you go back to them - when I originally did them I considered them as failures - not what I was aiming for.
The frames are standard size 16x12 from the market and are imitation wood - really plastic mouldings with glass. They look OK and cost only £4.25 each in various finishes. Add to that around 50p for the mount board (I cut my own) and a few pence for a 14x9 piece of w/c paper and it adds up to not much more than £5.

I work on the basis that a buyer may wish to buy their own frame, so no point in me spending a lot on the frames.

Doug

Little Old Lady
10-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Greetings from wet foggy Wisconsin :wave:
Definitely TMTRT!
Lynn glad you got nights and days sorted out! Good luck with boot removal.
There are lift off things for maskit that make removal easy. Group has always used hair dryers with it and no ill effect.
Kneeded things here are marketed as erasers.
Hope to do some midden eliminating today.
JoAnn

Christie
10-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Back again!

I spent part of my awake time last night trying to imagine a life without Monty Python. Our children have grown up hearing the quotes from various movies and perhaps that wasn't a good thing? :D :evil:

Kim, one of my dogs got out yesterday, but she came back as soon as she realized that she was on the wrong side of the door to get dinner.:D I'm really glad that your cat is home now.

My mum and dad are up again today, but only for a short visit. Mum has some "jobs" for my father to do here. We are going to recover the dining room chairs for starters, but not sure what else she has planned.

Henry, lovely picture. Sorry to hear about the flat. Did your hands ever come clean?:D

Char, we have Monday off too, but we are going to visit puppies. Not to get a dog, just to get chewed on and visit. I love puppies!:D

My brother in law called last night and offered us box seats to watch a hockey game on Sunday (One of our non-NHL teams). These are the rich people seats with a special entrance, wet bar, snacks etc. I can't go because my lazy Thanksgiving dinner needs to be picked up from the caterer's (I wonder if I can arrange to have pneumonia next year too?:D), but Doug and the kids will have fun.

Katie's hair is purple again, but we need to redye a portion of it on the weekend.

Poor George has just come downstairs. He can't sleep in.:D So, he is sitting here eating breakfast and grumbling about internal clocks.:D

Take care.

mr sandbanx
10-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Wow we certainly are diverse in our subjects lately!
Spritey: For your finger???

My day so far: type, sneeze... repeat.

At church, the ladies give me pumpkin pie, and chocolat pie... Its great to be thin and have all these lovely women worrying about you... I am a legend at church for most slices of pie in one sittting by the way.... And its Apple festival in town this week as well... pinch me!! (Not you malty...)

Hi everyone, will read carefully all above, when I get homes from work....

Hi Jackie... good to see you again.

Chris

pampe
10-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Happy Friday

Ruth...that artist with the chocolate must have come from the same gene pool I did :wink2:

AMAZE....thanks but NO THANKS...I had a kid I tried to return....NO TAKERS

Going to try to play LAST day golf this morning with friends, then dinner party tonight with friends....sounds like a nice day if my decongestant holds up!

Will see Emily and Carol tomorrow for dinner here hopefully!

Yes, the CANADIANS start PARTYING for Thanksgiving early....they are alreday here en masse...taking up all the tee times and all the bar stools :evil:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Northern neighbors

Have a great weekend, all

Christie
10-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Oh! I remember those finger thingees! I hated them as they never stayed on my fingers (accounting class was never my favourite anyhow:D). the boys in the class used to call them finger condoms.:D :angel: :evil:

Amaze, I'll trade you for a 7 year old with purple hair and an attitude!:D

olliewood0702
10-08-2004, 10:06 AM
Hello WASHERS!!

TGIF (THANK GOSH ITS FRIDAY)

Figure drawing class last night and guess who was our model? The young kid who went through all 3 watercolor classes with me. CUTE as a bugs ear and nice as pie. Well, it was a bit uncomfortable at first, we didn't make eye contact. :D :evil: I do have to say thought that he has a splendid male body for drawing! :wink2:

I'm learning SO much in that class about drawing humans.

Creative writing class is going very well too. We are writing poetry now and then back to short stories. LOVE IT!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all our CANADIEN FRIENDS!! Can't wait until it's ours' and we can gorge on all that wonderful food!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND everyone and enjoy these wonderfully warm fall days.

Where is JJ now?? Did Canada kick her out yet? :D :p :rolleyes:

LOVELY paintings in Gallery lately.

Off to visit it now,
BBL,
Darla

Starsprite
10-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Wow we certainly are diverse in our subjects lately!
Spritey: For your finger???

Chris

Yes, for your finger. I finally found a pic on the internet...was not easy. LOL Your secretary might have some of these thingies in her desk. I just hated seeing them laying around on someone's desk when I was younger...reminded me of something else and in my sweet innocence I was offended. :angel: :angel:

Yes Exactly Christie...finger condoms!! LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/6385-rubberfinger.jpg

mustcreate
10-08-2004, 11:00 AM
happy friday washer buds!!

enjoyable Wash today....thank you all for making me laugh today :)

so, I was supposed to be somewhere else this morning....but my workaholic sister can't leave town before noon today - we were supposed to leave last night. :mad: so I guess I took advantage of a lazy morning(no school for ellen today - I didn't have to drive her) and ran rampant over the Gallery...something I haven't done in weeks. great work in there folks!!

so who was it teasing me about waiting 6 months to see my rose painting? oh yes, Uschi!!
here it is sitting on my desk as I type.....I can't believe how much I've painted in a week :eek: ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/9879-4917neverondeskwc.JPG

sorry to confuse you all about when thanksgiving is. yesterday when I mentioned it I thought that was going to be my last post before next week and wanted to get my thanksgiving wishes in:)

here is my menu for monday.....deep fried turkey (clayton's specialty), stuffing, cream cheese baked mashed potatoes, baby corn in butter sauce, mushroom gravy, baked yam (commonly known here as sweet potatoe). for dessert Clayton will bake a pumpkin custard pie and a pecan pie. :)

enjoy your weekend....I am looking forward to seeing Pam!!

create!

em

Johnnie
10-08-2004, 11:14 AM
.reminded me of something else and in my sweet innocence I was offended. :angel: :angel:

Yes Exactly Christie...finger condoms!! LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/6385-rubberfinger.jpg

HI

Oh darn.. I always thought they were for "Midgets"" :wink2: :evil: :evil:

Johnnie

Starsprite
10-08-2004, 11:39 AM
LOL Johnnie!!! :D :D :D Cept they have little holes all over them (so finger doesn't get sweaty)...so wouldn't be advisable to use for that purpose. :D :D

Darn Kev and his rubber eraser anyway....LOL This is YOUR fault Kev!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :D :D

ktrayn78
10-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Lyn I love hearing about Tenn. Like Bob I think I'm a misplaced southerner. We spent a couple of days in Tennessee this summer, went to Nashville one day and spent the next at Lookout Mountain. No mountains here in Il so I loved that.

I didn't know what the vols were until this summer. I was telling my uncle what my username on eBay was so he could look up my paintings. I said "it's VOL fan but with periods, so v.o.l.fan." He said "whew, good thing you put the periods in there or people would have thought you were a vols fan!" So I'm afraid to say that my misguided uncle is apparently not a fan :(

Char thanks for the history, that is pretty interesting. I'm a descendent of Governor William Bradford (one of the founders of Plymouth colony.) Maybe that's were I get my self-righteousness from? I've read a little of his book about Plymouth colony and back in his day people were allowed to spell and capitalize however they saw fit. I think Self Expression would Be well surved if We brought those Practices back.

And Thanks for the Little Ditty about The Run-Away Cat. That'll be my Mantra next Time I'm wringing my Hands and running to the Window every Twenty Seconds waiting for her to Come Home.

Chris and Malty actually work together!? Are you pulling my strings? Chris, I just realized this photo I've been trying to paint is one of your photos of Brazil. Did you take it? I love it! I've dumbed it down A LOT. I finished a practice run and I'm going to try to do the real thing today. Did you do any paintings from these photos? If so I don't want to see it 'til I'm done 'cause it'll just make me feel inadequate!

So off to paint I go, Kim

Starsprite
10-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Chris and Malty actually work together!? Are you pulling my strings? Chris, I just realized this photo I've been trying to paint is one of your photos of Brazil. Did you take it? I love it! I've dumbed it down A LOT. I finished a practice run and I'm going to try to do the real thing today. Did you do any paintings from these photos? If so I don't want to see it 'til I'm done 'cause it'll just make me feel inadequate!

So off to paint I go, Kim

Yup Kim....they actually work together!!! In one of the Daily Washes or Drookits Chris posted a pic of their offices which are next to each other. Can you imagine being their secretary, what fun that would be? LOL :D :D

As for the statement "dumbed it down a lot" Here in Kansas we refer to that as "taking artistic license" with a photo. LOL :D :D

I would enjoy seeing your painting from that photo! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

mr sandbanx
10-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Kim:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/31024-offices_copy.jpg

My son took those pictures this summer. I need to see your painting as he has been pressuring me to do one for hi. He is researching the favellas (slums) in Brazil and has tons of photos, thiose were posted for someone looking for Brazil Village scenes.

Chris

Europa
10-08-2004, 01:33 PM
EVENING WASHGANGEROOS!!!!

First of all - please note the new Avatar - been fiddling about with photoshop - had some great ideas for others for certain people on here :evil: - sooooooo watch this space.

TMTRTI

Shopping day today so not much to tell - although we did get Jamies phone sorted out for free - its been sent away so he is using SWMBO's old Motorola.....lol....not cool at all.

Thoughts go out for Ken Bigley's family - for those not in the know - he was a guy from Liverpool who was taken hostage in Iraq - kept him for three weeks but now seems they executed him - the family recieved absolute proof of his death - seems three news agencies were sent a video showing his beheading - having unwittingly seen one of these executions on the internet I can honestly say it was the most horrific things I have ever seen in my life -I will refrain from my thoughts on this suffice to say my prayers go out to his family.

BBL

Love and Hugs all around

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

Strawberry Wine
10-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi All:

Just buzzing through before we head down to the airport to pick up JJ and Alan :clap:

She e-maile me yesterday to say I will recognize her as she will be wearing a red hat :) I think I know her face by her tiny head by now :D

Sylvia: Yes, our Thanksgiving Day is Monday. But we call this Thanksgiving Weekend as it is our last long weekend of the summer. We have turkey and trimimings, lots of veggies and pumpkin and apple pie for dessert. The weather is quite warm and sunny which is quite unusual so perhaps we may get some outside deck time in too.

We are having our dinner on Monday this year but most often it is the Sunday when family dinners are held. This year we will be heading over to my sister's house which is about 15 minutes away. JJ and Alan will join us, of course, and she told me this will be her first Thanksgiving celebration.

JJ, I am sure, will log on here later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Gail

Uschi
10-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Just buzzing through - I forgot to tell you all that Gail phoned me last night and I (and a few others) will meet her and I think hubby and JJ and Alan and Char and Ted :clap: :clap: :clap: Soooo looking forward to it!!!!
Em - WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!! Fabulous roses!!!! Do I notice a lack of purple underpainting???

O.K. back to painting! :wave:
Uschi

Sharon Douglas
10-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Well after going to the cemetary this morning , we were feeling a bit down, plus we had to go to Asda. Which didn`t please me either.

To Cheer ourselves up and have a laugh, we did this...............
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/13042-2004_1008Image0002.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/13042-2004_1008Image0003.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/13042-2004_1008Image0004.JPG
Then we danced in front of the security cameras :eek: :eek: :o :evil:

I have got 2 questions.............
No1..................can you tell which one is me?
No2..............DOUG DO YOU STILL FANCY MY MUM???????????

AND NO!! I HAVEN`T BEEN DRINKING MY STASH OF BOOZE........I was wondering if I had offended Pam, but it seems that I managed to miss out almost a full page of yesterdays wash, if I`d have seen that I wouldn`t have worried. :evil:

artmom
10-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Sharon, ROFLMBOPIMP! Great pics!

By KIM Lyn I love hearing about Tenn. Like Bob I think I'm a misplaced southerner. We spent a couple of days in Tennessee this summer, went to Nashville one day and spent the next at Lookout Mountain. No mountains here in Il so I loved that.

Kim, happy you enjoyed it! Yes, it doesn't sound as if your Uncle is a VOL fan! LOL My granddaughter goes to college on Lookout Mountain, but she's over the state line in Georgia. If you come this way again, you'll have to look us up! I love meeting WC!ers and East Tennessee is definitely the prettiest part (and most mountainous) of the state! :cool:

(((Pat))), sorry to hear about Ken Bigley.

ONTARIO, watch out! Hear comes JJ!! :wink2: Seriously, hope all of you enjoy your get-togethers!

Weavin' to those who have posted since my last visit!

Lyn

Lia-Chan
10-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Kim:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/31024-offices_copy.jpg

My son took those pictures this summer. I need to see your painting as he has been pressuring me to do one for hi. He is researching the favellas (slums) in Brazil and has tons of photos, thiose were posted for someone looking for Brazil Village scenes.

Chris

It's FA-VE-LAS! Only one L , please . Hey, this weekend it's going to be Cirio's party . Maybe i can find some good pictures of it . And we're not going to have classes on 11 and 12th (October 12th is a holiday here) . October 13th my little sister will turn 15! Yay ! Lots of food and candies here at home . She picked a gorgeous cake to her (here in Brazil , 15 years is a special age , that stated on the past that the girl became a young woman , and she could now get married. Nowadays is just tradition) and we're going to have filet and shrimps here at home (now you can envy me , my mum knows a lady that sells exportation shrimps , and they're big and delicious , and she buys the kilo for just 10 reais , which would mean a little more than 3 dollars)

Europa
10-08-2004, 08:38 PM
AM OFF TO BED!!!!!

Forgot to mention it was my darling brother David's birthday today :o - he would have been 58 - doesn't seem 5 years since he died - anyway -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KID!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/29499-dave1.jpg

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!

Pat xxx

CharM
10-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Hiya... just popping in before I shut down the computer...

Hi JJ and Alan!!! Did Gail recognize you??? :D

Sharon... you're wearing the green shirt! Looks like you were having way too much fun!

Pat... I DID notice your morphing tinyhead!!! How neat! I agree wholeheartedly about the brutal hostage situation... With Thanksgiving coming up, we will be giving thanks for the peace and tranquility of our home land... and remember those who've not been so fortunate...

Kim... descended from an original Pilgrim... wow!

Em... that rose looks positively electric!!! And no underpainting!!! :eek:

:wave: to everyone!!!!

The wind is whipping up some *weather* I think... It's off to bed to listen to the last of the leaves rustling in the trees...

Gnite... sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite... see you in the morning!

Christie
10-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Char, we are supposed to get "weather" tomorrow too, however, it is supposed to be nice again on Sunday.

I had a nice relaxing time today (mostly), but did no painting. Still thinking, but I suspect my brain is on pause, at least as far as painting is concerned.:D

Pat, how nice that you remember your brother's birthday! He must have been a very special brother.

Sharon, I agree with Char, you are in the green. Looks like it was fun. I can just imagine the looks you must have received.:D

Gail, did you manage to find JJ?

I am very tired (I must have rested too hard!:D) so am going to bed early.

Take care.