PDA

View Full Version : I need all of your opinions and help!

GardenGirl1002
10-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone! I have been asked to do a few pieces for a gallery. I was told that they should be large and impressive. The person who asked me to do these chose a few styles of beads that they love and asked me to make pendant necklaces from them. I am just having the worst time making these pieces! I never have and never will trust my own judgment when it comes to making jewelry. I seem to love things that other people just don't really like - so I need all of your help! I put together this piece last night and I am really sitting on the fence about it. I love the bead, but I just don't know if the rest of the pendant really fits. Is it too much with the dangles? It's about 3 1/2" from the loop to the end of the dangles and doesn't really seem to large to me. I do love the bead (a nod to margaret with her wonderful tutorial and I have so much fun making these beads - thanks! :) ).
Anything you guys have to say about it, I want to hear - bad or good. I won't be offended by negative comments - I really want to know what everyone thinks. Asking friends and family doesn't really work because they just want to make you happy, you know? I trust everyone here on WC because there are just so many beautiful things that come out of here on a daily basis!
Thanks so much!
btw - the pic isn't the best - snapped it quick for this post... sorry

Mr.Smiley
10-07-2004, 12:06 PM
You will make great things if you just believe in yourself. Who cares if any body else likes it... don't limit yourself to only making things by some one elses standards of beauty. Sales are not a measure of the beauty in any thing... just think of all the greats that weren't accepted in their times. Are their works any less beautiful because they didn't sell much? If this is for an exibit and not for a craft show... make what you feel inside. It's the perfect opportunity to explore yourself. If you can forget about what other people are going to think... that's when you will make something great. It really sounds like it is just holding you back.

Have fun!

beachglassgirl
10-07-2004, 12:12 PM
I personally love pendants with dangles! I think it is a beautiful pendant - what type of gallery is this? Is it a higher-end (if so, I might add some freshwater pearls or some gemstones to the dangles) but again, it's just my opinion! I know how you feel about not trusting your judgement - I too tend to like the stuff that other people find "out there" or unusual. I think you did a beautiful job and the focal bead is fabulous! :clap:

!Karen
10-07-2004, 12:19 PM
I think you did a great job! Be yourself, you'll do amazing things that way!!

I love love love dangles! So yes, the dangles are super!:D

Good luck with the gallery!

SuzyQ
10-07-2004, 02:29 PM
I think this is a beautiful piece! The dangles are just right. I like the swirl texture on the silver tubes it reals fits with the inner swirl in your pendant. I'll bet the gallery is going to be pleased.
Have you posted anything on the wearable forum? There are some really great jewelers that are so willing to help with anything.

GinaJ
10-07-2004, 04:53 PM
I think it's great, especially since they asked for large and impressive!!!!! :clap:

GardenGirl1002
10-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've done this style of pendant before, and they have always been well recieved but nothing on this large of a scale and that's why I think I was uncertian about this one.
Mr. Smiley - this is for a gallery, but technically not an exhibit. They are for sale with some other jewelry from local artists. I usually like the pieces I make, but I think I'm more comfortable making the actual beads and imagining what they could be than the actual creating of the piece.
Tami - well, there are actually 2 places. The first is the gallery that I mentioned above. They sell all kinds of pieces from fiber, to ceramics, to glass, etc... The second place is a fine jewelry store that likes to exhibit glass bead jewelry from local artists as well. Both are in very upscale, well to do areas so I really want to be well received. I think the pearls are a fabulous idea. I only put into the pendant what I had in my stash just to see what it would look like. There's still room for improvement. Thanks for the idea.
Suzy - I haven't posted anything in that forum since I don't make a heck of a lot of jewelry anymore, but maybe I'll put this one in there. Thanks for the idea.
And thanks Gina and Karen for the very nice compliments.
Thanks for helping me out everyone!

Alan Cross
10-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Good job I bet it looks even better IRL.
Alan :)

Patricia'sglass
10-07-2004, 05:48 PM
What a beautiful bead! I think you have to go where your inspiration takes you and things grow and develop from doing that. I think it's a wonderful pendant! And very well made.
PAttym

margaretz
10-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Very nice bead, if i do say so myself!! Great job... (happy to see folks are finding the tutorial useful!)

I agree with what others have said- MAKE WHAT YOU LIKE MAKING... Otherwise you'll burn out and/ or your discontent with "making what sells" will show... That doesn't mean there has to be a contrast with "making what sells" and "making what you like." Rather, I find it to be quite the opposite... You know- when you see art, be it beads, or anything else- when the artist has thrown themselves into a piece. And, especially in this business, customers buy a piece of you along with the piece of glass/ jewelry you made... Wouldn't you prefer it be a piece of enthusiastic, passionate, happy, glass-crazy you?

That said- I have one nit-picky comment. And this is my opinion.. and I'm hoping not to make anyone angry by saying so. Especially for galleries, the glass piece shouldn't be overshadowed by commercially bought glass findings. I think minerals, Swarovski crystals, pearls, well made sterling and fine silver findings are OK, but I think Czech and chinese glass beads "cheapen" a finished piece. (IMO, seed beads are a small exception... the stuff that some artists out there do with seed beads baffles me!)

A possible solution to this: make your own small glass beadies to go on the ends of the danglies. The finished look won't change all that much, but you'll have the benefit of saying that you made ALL of the glass in the piece.

Hope this helps you!!

greatfindsct
10-07-2004, 09:57 PM
I agree with Margaret, and I was glad I wasn't the first one saying it. It is a gorgeous bead! Very well done! But the findings seem to ruin the beauty of the bead. Is that faux cat's eye? I think that the higher priced findings will only add to the beauty of the bead, but not take away from it. I think I would probably use Lapiz and Crystal Swarovskis to accent it.
I do love the pendant with the dangles though.

I hope I didn't offend you in any way.

Smedstad
10-07-2004, 10:20 PM
I love the bead and I also like the design of the dangles but they draw attention away from the bead. They need to be smaller than the bead. I think you can still use some dangly things but I would use just a few which bring out the beauty of the centerpiece.

Debbie

collectiblesbyrose
10-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Gardengirl, I love the focal bead! I'm not all that crazy about dangles. In this case I think it takes away from the focal. Way too much going on in the dangles for such a clean beautiful bead. And the finished dangle is too wide. I don't like the top metal bead either. I'd make some smaller beads in the same shape as the focal to have as dangles. Add a ss ball on top of the bead, add a few small ss balls to dangle with the new beads and call it done. I think longer dangles rather than wider would look better, you know have them at different levels...but not too long. But remember, not everyone likes my designs!

GardenGirl1002
10-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Wow - a compliment from the queen! I'm blushing :) Thank you for sharing the secret of those wonderful beads that I was in love with for so long! Every one of your beads just amazes me!
Margaret and Jen - you absolutely didn't offend me. Honesty is exactly what I was looking for when I posted this. Coincidentally, I was just thinking that same thing this afternoon when I was sitting there asking myself, "What is bothering me about this piece?". It hasn't won me over yet and I had to figure out why, and one of the things I also thought about was making my own tiny beads for the dangles! I'm going to try it out. I know it can be improved upon and I'm not at the rushed point yet.
I appreciate and am grateful to you for your honesty. :)
Patty and Alan - thank you so much for the sweet compliments !

LadyArowana
10-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Hi Kristen, I don't normally comment on things because I'm not a glassworker, so don't feel my critiques would be helpful or practical ! But thought I might add something here. First off I love the bead, but I think the little wire loop at the top of the pendant is not doing the design any favours, if at all possible pricewise I would go for a larger finished finding. My other concern is that when it is worn the pieces underneath will not stay beautifully arranged as in the photo but will fall to the bottom of the loop of wire underneath which will become very noticeable. A while ago a magazine ( Bead and Button maybe, don't quote me ) had a tutorial about doing a tassel type thing under an art bead, that was based around embellishing a very short lenth of chain. It gave a bigger look. I love tassels, but sort of feel that they either need to be "there" or "not there" or they can end up being "a few dangly bits" rather than a part of a design concept. Hope this seems helpful, it was intended to be when it left me, but I have seen enough misunderstandings arise from helpful remarks to be wary ! Fiona

GardenGirl1002
10-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Fiona - What you said was not taken in any way other than being helpful. I know that things have been a bit touchy around here lately and a lot of people are getting offended, but like I said before, I wanted the good, the bad, and the ugly about this bead and pendant.
The more I look at it, the more it just doesn't sit right with me. I think this evening I'm going to rip it apart and start over. I actually don't have a child this evening (overnight with grandma and aunt - wow, that's a first! :) ) , so I will have a lot of uninterrupted time to think about this.
I'm so thrilled that people have pointed out what they don't like about this - it is going to help me tremendously when I finally make a decision about what the final style of this pendant will be. All of these things will help me make a better product for the people who requested it and I am grateful for any input. Thanks!

collectiblesbyrose
10-08-2004, 10:21 PM
I hope you let us see a picture of the bead with its new buddies! :clap: