PDA

View Full Version : Golden Absorbent Ground?

thetech
10-07-2004, 11:13 AM
I bought this Golden "Absorbent Ground" (acrylic) by accident a few weeks ago (don't ask!), the store was too far away for me to go back to in the near future so I decided I would see if there was something interesting I could do with it.

I coated a sheet of 140lb CP watercolor paper with three coats of it and went to work with it. It kind of makes brush strokes dissappear, making for a much smoother look to the painting and also makes lifting of paint extremely easy (maybe too easy!), even staining colors seem to lift right back off. It also provides a rather interesting texture to the painting as well. I suppose It could lead to some interesting effects.

Has anyone tried this stuff? Is this like painting on a clayboard or a gessoed board? If so anyone have any ideas?

Thetech :wave:

pampe
10-07-2004, 11:41 AM
you may want to apply a coat of sealer after you paint on that....

thetech
10-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Yes, thank you, it is recomended on the jar that it be sealed when completed.

Sealed with what though? It says gloss acrylic medium but what else would work do you think?

pampe
10-07-2004, 12:11 PM
varnish, acrylic sealer, etc

GOwenStudios
10-07-2004, 11:57 PM
Hi, Golden Paints has a website that has more information on it than you can imagine. www.goldenpaints.com The answer you seek for their products will be on that website. In the case not you can email them and ask.

Pars
10-08-2004, 12:43 AM
A friend and mentor, Gwen Diehn, did a lovely book entitled "The Decorated Page" - Lark Press. She recommends absorbent ground to prep journal pages and give it a different sort of "tooth" especially for lighter papers. Most of the journals I've made or use do not have heavy enough paper to support water so this is one of several helpful solutions.

Here's the direct link to the Golden's info page http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/absorb.php

but it really doesn't provide as much info as I'd like.

DavidBR
10-08-2004, 08:43 AM
The latest (Fall) issue of Watercolor magazine has an interesting article on alternate surfaces for watercolor painting - ways of presenting your work without requiring mounting with mats and under glass. One of the methods was painting watercolour on stretched canvas that had been coated with 2 coats of Absorbent Ground. Apparently the wc will bleed well just like wet-in-wet on wc paper. It is necessary to seal afterward with acrylic varnish applied as a thin spray and built up in multiple layers to achieve an even coating.

The interesting thing about this method is your are not limited to wc paper sizes.

thetech
10-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks all for the info, the link to the Golden website from pars was very helpful, thank you.

Thanks Davidbr for the info on the artical in watercolor magazine, I havent received that issue yet so will be looking forward to reading that!