PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the horizons!!!

mtbarr
10-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Well, when one has a kiln, you eventually realize the potential on creativity. I love glass and have for years. Done stained glass, etched, fused and lampworking. Now there is another form as the public knows it...ceramics. Applying a glaze provides the desire to have something shiney. These two pieces came from the kiln yesterday and I felt the need to share my excitement with the forum.. of course I have a love of horses!! And yes, I still do lampworking..

littlecrow1
10-06-2004, 04:09 PM
:clap: :clap: Beautiful! :clap: :clap:

bolimasa
10-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Do you fire your ceramics in your glass kilnY My son has a bag of clay from school and would like to use my kiln and daughter learned china painting this summer so she'd like to fire it up to. I've also wondered if I could use the china painting paints on beads.

If your using you glass kiln, are you using the electronic controller instead of cones? Is there someplace to find firing schedules for an electronic controller?

Oh yeah, nice pieceds by the way!

Bubbyanne
10-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Oh wow Kay,
I like! Very nice work.
I haven't done ceramics in many years. I have a pitcher and bowl greenware set that has been sitting in a box for ages. The handle broke off so I haven't gotten around to fixing and firing it. Hmmmm, if I only had more time.....
Thanks for sharing your lovely pieces,
Barb

mtbarr
10-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Thank you for the compliment.
And yes, you can fire ceramics in your glass kiln if it will go up that high. Not all of them do. Something like 2200 degrees. If it is a bead kiln or a 110 electrical, I doubt that it will go that high. The best resource for your questions is a kiln dealer, preferably the brand of kiln in your possession. I am fortunate enough to have a digital controller with both glass and cone settings available. It will take some research on your part but it is worth it. Good luck...
Someone else might jump in here and give you some more definite info, I hope..

CarlaAlexander
10-07-2004, 10:18 AM
OMG Kay my chin hit the floor over your horse. I am of course a certifiable horse freak so I might be biased. That is SOOOOOO awesome.

MegannsMom
10-07-2004, 10:41 AM
WoW! Those are beautiful! Wonder if I could do that......NO! No more new projects to learn, my DH would KILL me!!
BTW: DIBS on that horse!!
~Cindy

mtbarr
10-07-2004, 11:34 AM
You make my head big! Thanks. They were such fun to do and you never know what you will really get till it comes glazed from the kiln. I have to admit, even I dropped my jaw when the horse came out. I was just so excited.
Sorry... no dibs on my horse! I enjoy doing the airbrushing on horses and bought a bunch of little ones of greenware to play with. We do an antique tractor show once a year and I thought it might be fun to sell some of these at the event...

jowell
10-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Kay,

I collect roosters and that one is "great" You did a wongerful job.

Jo L.

mtbarr
10-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Jo, thanks. You just gave me the idea of doing roosters for the tractor show, also. I think a lot of people collect them. Maybe pigs, too. Maybe cows, too. Maybe.. maybe... maybe... hmmm... I think I will be busy...
I also sell my lampworked horses and cows at the show. Can you guess we live in a rural area???!!!

GinaJ
10-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Wow, those are both AWESOME pieces!!!!!

Juls
10-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Kay,

That horse is AMAZING! VERY nicely done!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

hugs~
~Juls