PDA

View Full Version : Paper

juneto
10-06-2004, 12:34 PM
What paper surface do you like best , Hot Pressed , Cold Pressed or Rough ?? I have tried Rough and Cold and am not sure which is best.

artmom
10-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the wild, wacky, wonderful world of the watercolor forum! :)

I use 140 cold press Arches 99 1/2% of the time. I use rough the other 1/2%. One is not better than the other, but it really depends on various factors; subject, skill of artist, and just what feels good to you.

I suggest you use the SEARCH function on the blue menu bar above and go to advanced search type in *paper, check that you want it to show that word in Titles Only, then go to the right of the page (as viewed) and choose to search the Watercolor Forum only. There are usually 5 to 10 threads a week devoted solely to this question!!!

Lyn

Flattwo
10-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi

I like Bockingford 140LBS not paper, but I would use any good quality stuff if it did the job.

Find a paper that suit your style and budget..trial and error is the only way

Remember...the most important piece of equipment in painting is the 6 inches between you ears!

Flattwo

droll13
10-06-2004, 01:12 PM
Let me add my welcome to you.

Lyn has given you good advice about searching the site for paper surface info.

Like Lyn, I use Arches 140 lb CP most of the time - maybe 60%. Then Arches 140 lb Rough (maybe 30%). Then Arches 140 lb HP every once in a while, but most HP surfaces give me trouble. I ocassionally test papers (CP & Rough) from other manufacturers, but keep returning to Arches.

Yorky
10-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Langton Rough blocks by choice, but have a stock of Bockingford I use from time to time.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Doug

wayfarer
10-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Welcome!

I use Arches cold press about 50% of the time. I recently bought a bunch, so it's the one of choice these days. I also use Fabriano Uno rough quite a bit. Occasionally, I'll buy a sheet of Lanaquarelle cold press too. All 140lb. I only use 300lb for my full sheet paintings. Then, it's always been Arches cold press.

Chris

Rod
10-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Welcome to watercolours,

I use Saunders 300gsm rough 90% of the time , its a good price and I like the absorbancy .

It is a matter of choice, what suits one style may not suit another, so it pays to try several before deciding,

Rod.

Phoenix Rising
10-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I've been using Arches 140 CP blocks for a while now, and love them. Haven't tried the full sheet stuff yet, although, looking at the prices, when I get low on my current stock of paper, I will.

I also love Sunders Waterford 200 CP. It goes on sale regularly where I usually shop, so I stock up on it when I can.

Christie
10-06-2004, 10:45 PM
Winsor Newton 140 lb cold press mostly. Price is good and I like the texture and it's ability to take a scrubbing.

I tried Arches, but it smells bad when it is wet (to me anyhow) and my youngest dog keeps eating the paintings I do on Arches (25 minis the last time she got in my den. Sigh.):D I think it has to do with the sizing they use.

wayfarer
10-07-2004, 12:02 AM
my youngest dog keeps eating the paintings I do on Arches

Seriously? Oh, my goodness! I guess what smells bad to us (I've noticed it too), smells good to a dog? I'm so sorry to hear this.

Chris

juneto
10-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Thanks for your thoughts everyone .I have always used Arches and always used rough ,but I have been using cold -pressed lately and wanted to see what others thought .
I am so thrilled to be able to talk to other watercolorists for a change and hear their opinions about the craft.
The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary, so that the necessary may speak. Hans Hofmann

Christie
10-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Seriously? Oh, my goodness! I guess what smells bad to us (I've noticed it too), smells good to a dog? I'm so sorry to hear this.

Chris

Well, it certainly smells good to my scent hounds!:D If I have Arches in the house, I am just careful to keep it away from them... now.

In hindsight, it was funny to see the puppy walking around with all these 1" x 2" paintings sticking our of her mouth. The look on her face was priceless. :evil: :D Of course it has taken me the better part of a year to laugh about it.:D