PDA

View Full Version : here we go again

Mark Wilson
10-06-2004, 10:15 AM
well we fired up the studio again this last weekend. this blowing season, i am concentrating on making glass that does not require any cold work. all of the items pictured here were cracked off the punty and did not require any grinding/polishing. this is a 1st for me. i guess it means i am learning lessons from the past. anyway, mostly i made clasical pieces (bowls, vases...). they are kind of getting boreing and too easy, so it is time to branch out and make some new shapes. i have also been working on solid jelly fish paperweights, and i plan to make blown fish and conch shells again. here are some photos of what came out of the annealer. not shown are the eggs my wife made which turned out real well.

Vangie
10-06-2004, 10:52 AM
well we fired up the studio again this last weekend. this blowing season, i am concentrating on making glass that does not require any cold work. all of the items pictured here were cracked off the punty and did not require any grinding/polishing. this is a 1st for me. i guess it means i am learning lessons from the past. anyway, mostly i made clasical pieces (bowls, vases...). they are kind of getting boreing and too easy, so it is time to branch out and make some new shapes. i have also been working on solid jelly fish paperweights, and i plan to make blown fish and conch shells again. here are some photos of what came out of the annealer. not shown are the eggs my wife made which turned out real well

A couple questions from this newbie.....

1. What does it mean by "cold work"?
2. What does it mean by "cracked off the putny"?

Your help is greatly appreciated, since I am still learning all of the technical jargon.....

Blessings,

JoyceMI
10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Great stuff. My favorite is the taller vase on the right, black, purple and aqua tones. .... Is it actually fluted along the side or does it just appear that way from the pattern you did? Really like that one alot!

Cant wait to see more of the new things you will try....... Post the pics of your wifes eggs she did.

Orca
10-06-2004, 11:57 AM
They're all great, but!

The aqua toned vase with the black free-form design at the top....it's fantastic.
I can't wait to see the jelly fish paperweights, I've been trying to figure that out in beads, with no success.

I'd love to see the eggs, in fact everything. More pictures, please!

!Karen
10-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Oh I love all the vases!! Nice work Mark!

The tall one and the one Sherry likes are just screaming for bouquets of my Gerber Daisies!! Yes they are!

Thanks for showing us the goods!

:wave:

Lazy_daze
10-06-2004, 12:39 PM
A couple questions from this newbie.....

1. What does it mean by "cold work"?
2. What does it mean by "cracked off the putny"?

Cold work is any grinding polishing or manipulation of the glass after it is out of the Kiln....I.E. faceting

Cracked off the punty refers to the tool used to hold the glas while it is being blown. Normally if done correctly the scar left can be fire polished or is so minimal as to not be an issue. If you ever decide to make marbles you will do it on a smaller scale using just rods of glass.

Heather/Ericaceae
10-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Great work, Mark! I love seeing your work here - your gazing balls are awesome. I like this batch too and I'll have to agree with everyone else that the black-topped one is my favorite. Very elegant! It's such a treat when blown glass is posted is the showcase, and your stuff is especially cool because you've shared so much of the technical side of your studio with us. Thank you. :) EDIT: Show us your new paperweights and your wife's latest glass eggs later if you can!

-Heather

Mark Wilson
10-06-2004, 06:54 PM
thanks for your kind comments. here are photos of some other things we made this last weekend. the jelly fish is about 8 pounds and about 9 inchs tall, and about 4 inches in diameter at the top. i make the tenticles using twisted bullseye white lampworking rods. the body is made with frit and patterned with an optic mold. the eggs are the size of a extra extra large chicken egg or a small goose egg. my wife made the eggs using powdered glass, usually 7 to 9 layers. the leaves are from shards. my glass is nice and bubble free when i make thin pieces, but bubbles seem to grow out of nowhere when thick things are put into the annealer.

Bazile
10-07-2004, 08:38 AM
Mark, I don't know what I like best. Tough to choose. I really like the vases. The one with the black top everyone was talking about...but the eggs are so cool too. Jelly fish are awesome.
Well, they are just all wonderfull, please show more when you have it. Love to look.

Heather/Ericaceae
10-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Mark - I love the jellyfish! I think the bubbles make it cooler - it's like it has caught bubbles underneath itself from a big crashing wave, and now it's trying to sink back into the sunny waters. Nice work. Ooh - and what's the neat lighting source under the last egg picture? I like it.

-Heather

collectiblesbyrose
10-08-2004, 05:28 AM
Amazing and stunning jelly fish! I agree, I like the bubbles! Love the eggs! Gosh, talented couple...you guys must have a blast working on your hobby together.

Mr.Smiley
10-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Tooting Marks horn...

Toot toot! Nice work! Great job! Fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul Katherman
10-14-2004, 05:16 PM
There you go mark some great stuff and some great responses.

Hope you feel better now. :clap:

Tattoodfreek Paul

some of my ebay swirly colors (http://stores.ebay.com/Tattoodfreeks-Pendants-and-Beads)

Orca
10-14-2004, 06:58 PM
I was going to ask how you got the bubbles around the jellyfish so evenly! They do look like they belong.

The eggs are truly lovely as well, you two are a great team!

!ngridh
10-14-2004, 07:14 PM
Gee it is great to see your work Mark...I love the black, white and aqua vase too...lovely patterning. I enjoy watching your work and always look forward to what is new...LOVERLY absolutely LOVERLY!