PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Assignment 1 Baking Soda Beads S&T

SuzyQ
10-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Here it is! The first newbie "wanna play" assignment. We tried making beads using baking soda to create bubbles. Little did some of us realize, we also learned about encasing. :rolleyes:
My technique was to make a clear core bead and cool it a bit, roll in a pile of baking soda for a light coating and warm up the bead until it became cloudy. I then encased with a big blob since tape wrapping didn't stick very well.
Here they are and you can see who is the proudest little bead baby. He is happy to be round :) The cobalt blue was included to show that dark transparants don't show the baking soda effect at all.....who knew the lessons I would learn? :wink2:

Bazile
10-06-2004, 10:28 AM
posting here again.
made a transparent core bead, rolled in baking soda, then kept warm in back of flame, wrapped to encase.
two are made on a white base bead, same method.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2004/33717-DSC01001.JPG

This one I did last night, and I thought I used less baking soda but the bubbles were bigger. Some of them popped. White base again.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2004/33717-DSC01004.JPG

msritaa
10-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Nice fizzies SuzyQ and Bazile. :clap:

Here's my one and only. The pretty one cracked and there's no way you'll ever see the other 2

The reason for the surface decoration is that I saw that I was getting soot marks so I swirled some black stringer on, hoping it would all look "intended".

Daphne of Dilluvian
10-06-2004, 11:56 AM
These were inspired by the ones I saw during my research (Moth did her's on black I think). They are a transparent Cobalt blue base bead and then encased with clear. I love them, but they all broke and continue to form new cracks. I will try again once I have my own kiln. Sorry that they weren't cleaned and off the mandrel, but there was some great light coming through the window.

Daphne

torchsongartglass
10-06-2004, 12:04 PM
I thought I would chime in with something I saw and instructor do once with baking soda. I could hardly believe my eyes. She took the baking soda and mixed it with water. The ratio was pretty low on the water side. It was what you would call a "slurry", getting close to being a paste. She made a bead and plunged it in the slurry mixture and then encased her bead. She got the bead back in the flame in a hurry so it would not crack and pop apart. This made the bubbles that the baking soda creates dramatic and more evenly spaced. What the slurry does is coat the hot bead evenly instead of rolling it in the powder where your covering could be "lumpy".

:D

SuzyQ
10-06-2004, 12:20 PM
I bet that would work well Melissa. Thanks for the tip. Just another thing to try. Isn't this fun?!

SuzyQ
10-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Oh Daphne, that's too bad. Those are beautiful with the cobalt core. And your bubbles are so big! It looks like water. You definitely have to keep at it, those would be gorgeous on my body :)

poisix
10-06-2004, 12:24 PM
I made mine!! and I loved it...but cannot post pics until I get home from this rotten workplace! I made 12 and made 6 into a bracelet I love! What a great, fun little challenge :)

HOLIDAYLADY
10-06-2004, 12:34 PM
You guys make awsome "newbe"beads. Here are mine.
The two small ones are dark purple with just a dusting of baking soda then encased with clear. One large Dark purple with a fair dusting of soda and encased. Then, 3 red with various amounts of soda and clear encasing. I dusted them and then put them in the "outside" flame while I melted my clear, not getting the soda bead very hot. I hope that makes since.
I have heard of the slurry method and may give that a try later today.

jowell
10-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I made the first one with a transp. green with yellow streaks,rolled it in a pile of bakingsoda, heated up the entire bead ,and then encased with clear.
the second one is opaque green w/ yellow and amber also encased.
I think I need more practice encasing I really had a problem with that step.
I am learning more than I thought possible just by hanging around with you wonderful WC'ers Thanks so much.

Jo L.

cisco
10-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Wow great beads mine did not come out as nice. I wonder if I did not put enough on because mine don't look like the ones on here. How much powder do you use ???? Thanks Gina

SuzyQ
10-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Gina I used very little, a light dusting. But I'm really liking the bigger bubbles. I'm guessing the beads with big bubbles had more baking soda than mine.

Jowell, I can tell you if I had stopped to think about the fact we were going to encase I would have picked a different technique! I've got a really good pile of transparant frit going...... I love the big bubbles. Did you use a fair amount of baking soda?

SuzyQ
10-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Lyn, the red and blue are so pretty under transparant. And, I'm very envious of your big bubbles :evil:

jowell
10-06-2004, 01:28 PM
I had a glass plate with a pile of soda on it and swirled them around in the pile tapped off any extra and kissed the flame again.

Jo L.

Elena
10-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone,
I see this seems to be "The fun thing to do now"!
They are so pretty!
Does anyone know the long term life of these beads? It would be a big bummer if you made them into a great piece of jewelry and years down the road they start cracking and breaking!
Especially if you sold them!
Thanks
Elena‹

bonnybeads
10-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Wow! These all look great! :clap: I'm stuck at work too - will take pics and post mine when I get home tonight!

Bonnie

Smidgen
10-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Very very cool stuff everyone. It is fun to see the different effects..... :clap:

Here are mine....not too sure about them (loppy) but, it was interesting and fun.

Good newbie project....more more! :clap:

CalamitysClan
10-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I am excited to get home and try my hand at making some of those cool beads. Its amazing how many of us are stuck at work dreaming of making beads, me too. :(

Patricia

busybp
10-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks to this link I had lots of fun this afternoon with glass & baking soda. Thanks. I'll try to post some pice tomorrow.

bp

bonnybeads
10-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Okay - finally off work and winding down... long day!! Here is my Newbie Assignment #1! This is also my first time to post pics so hope they turn out okay!!

I used different colors (and multiple colors on two beads!) as my base bead and encased in clear. I think the blue is my favorite!

I made a small pile of really fine baking soda... got the bead fairly hot but cool enough to hold its shape, rolled it in the baking soda, put it in the back of the flame to let the soda soak in, then encased with lauscha clear. (I did encase one with a clear moretti stringer - but I don't remember which one!)

This was definitely fun - :clap: more! more!

Bonnie

SuzyQ
10-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Pretty, man you all got such big bubbles. I do really like the blue with bubbles. The yellow and green combination looks pretty too.

mobility
10-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Hi, all...

the flash on my camera has stopped functioning so my pictures are HORRIBLE-- even worse than usual! I took one outside but it was overcast so it sux. The brightest light in my house is the fridge light so the second pic was taken in there!!! It sux, too! I need a new camera, that's for sure!

Anyway, white Moretti rolled in Baking Soda encased with glassdaddy purple Lauscha... not that you can see anything!!! Just wanted you guys to know that I actually did the assignment... do I get an A for effort?! hahaha!

I'll try to get better pics tomorrow... Oh, and the swirly/bubble beads all broke into lots of pieces... don't think that combo is very stable.

Smidgen
10-06-2004, 10:14 PM
hehe...was I suppose to get bubbles.....hmmmmm. I like all the fun bubble beads, MUCH better than the weird ones I got.

poisix
10-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Ok - here goes nothing. I also had a very hard time photographing my beads and it is one minute til midnight here...so what I have is being attached (I hope!) - never attached photos here either. The second photo is completely off-topic, but something I had to share. Went to a bridal shower on Saturday, and I was in charge of purchasing the group gift...and the card. The shower was a beading/stringing shower - we all made necklaces and bracelets, and I did all of the wire wrapping for pendants and earrings -- so I decided to make the card ... in the form of a 'necklace' and added in some glass beads (made by me, of course)...certainly looked better in person - but I was happy with how it came out - so, I had to share. IT was a daunting task, but very well paid off :)

Daphne of Dilluvian
10-07-2004, 01:48 AM
Thanks again to SuzyQ for starting this assignment to kick start us in a new and unexpected direction. It was great fun and neat to see everyone's different results. Elena asked a question about the shelf life of this type of beads so I am attaching a quote from one of the threads I read while researching this assignment. There are different opinions out there, but I think that I would hesitate to sell these for now. Won't stop me from making a bunch for me to wear and test drive though.

Daphne

Re: Just HAVE to know how this is done! Tutorial???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Becareful. Baking Soda beads can be unstable. A little does go a long way and you bead when reintroduced into the flame can bubble like crazy. Encaseing it will help, but I have had many crack. That is why I don't make them anymore. I did a whole set of spacers in transparent colors. They looked so cool but as over half of them cracked they are still in a box that I wont sell. Even after a year when I look at them I still find at least one more that has cracked.
Maybe I did it wrong, But I thought I should would share what happened to mine.

Shawn

Daphne of Dilluvian
10-07-2004, 01:56 AM
[QUOTE=SuzyQ]Gina I used very little, a light dusting. But I'm really liking the bigger bubbles. I'm guessing the beads with big bubbles had more baking soda than mine.

Oh, I just wanted to mention that had only the lightest dusting of baking soda on my marver (sprinkled lightly and then blew it off and spread that around with fingertip) and still got really big bubbles going on. I used Arm and Hammer baking soda just for reference. O.K. I'm done now, gonna go check out some other threads.

Daphne

SuzyQ
10-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Hmmm, maybe I have a mellow batch of baking soda, lol. I'll probably shock myself when I try this with a new box :)

poisix it is a shame I can't see your beads better. I'll bet the amber looks really neat with the bubbles.
And what a neat bridal gift idea!

mtbarr
10-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Has anyone tried diluting the soda with water and spraying it onto hot glass?. I know this is suppose to work with glass fusing. I have been inspired to attempt this with some float glass and a copper fish inclusion. Just be sure the moisture is dried out before appling outer layer of glass.

SuzyQ
10-07-2004, 01:15 PM
That could be cool! I'm a little concerned about my coordination but I might try it anyway :D

poisix
10-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Hmmm, maybe I have a mellow batch of baking soda, lol. I'll probably shock myself when I try this with a new box :)

poisix it is a shame I can't see your beads better. I'll bet the amber looks really neat with the bubbles.
And what a neat bridal gift idea!

I am thinking I might just try to take a picture in the fridge!

JaniceM
10-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Here are mine. I also had better luck by rolling the bead in a pile of baking soda.

Janice

SuzyQ
10-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Very nice Janice! A little port and starboard set for some nautical woman :)

CorvetteJuliet
10-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Oh wow, what fabulous bubbles! I think I'm just going to have to try this out tonight. :D Thanks for the inspiration everyone. ~Juliet

mobility
10-07-2004, 05:01 PM
I am thinking I might just try to take a picture in the fridge!

hahaha! I didn't think anyone had actually read my post...:o

It's another overcast blustery day so no new pics... :(

Everybody's beads look really cool, though-- good job! :)

Jo-Del
10-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Great job Janice, Hope to meet you someday on one of your journeys to visit you sister!! Welcome Abourd, Blessings, Monique

Lunesse
10-10-2004, 02:46 AM
wow, somehow I missed this newbie challenge when it was announced! These are all so neat! I can't wait to try it tomorrow! Right now I have to go take today's poor beginner beads off mandrel. Oh, to be born one of my beginner beads. These beads must have been evil in a previous life. ;)

ShineyObjects
10-10-2004, 06:00 AM
I hadn't realized this was moved to the showcase! Here is what I posted at the tech forum! Very thin-almost vapor trail of baking soda on a graphite marver.
Started with a very small white bead...fast roll through baking soda, a couple of wafting rolls through the flame, then casing. Even with the very small amount of baking soda I used, I got some big bubbles that popped and fell in but over all got small fizz bubbles fairly evenly distributed! Annealed at 960F for half an hour. Fun project! Will park these on my window ledge and see what happens to them. Thanks for the fun thread!---Mona

SuzyQ
10-10-2004, 07:49 AM
Mona - I'm partial to the green one. I'm glad you had fun!

Lunesse - Post your results! Just because you didn't do it with us doesn't mean you can't add. I would love to see them.

GwensGems
10-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Everyones beads are so good. Thanks for posting them. I had a class, and one thing they said to do, it after your bead is cool, before annealing, dip the bead in vinager. That makes the action of the baking soda stop, so the bead doesn't break later. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it works. I'll try anything once.

Gwen :wave:

SuzyQ
10-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Everyones beads are so good. Thanks for posting them. I had a class, and one thing they said to do, it after your bead is cool, before annealing, dip the bead in vinager. That makes the action of the baking soda stop, so the bead doesn't break later. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it works. I'll try anything once.

Gwen :wave:

I read that somewhere too but it doesn't make any sense. The baking soda is encased in glass, vinegar is not going to get inside that glass to affect the baking soda. I wonder where that idea came from?

Lunesse
10-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Ok, I made my bubble bead today! Fun! I got thrown off somehow and couldn't get the bead even all over, and the bubbles started to pop so I gave up trying to make a good round bead. Wow, it was fun to watch them grow inside when I put the clear on top!

Wee! More beginner challenges, please! =)

Smidgen
10-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Lunesse, this bead looks luscious! The color, clarity and bubbles...really, you pulled this off well! Nice!

Smidge

SuzyQ
10-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Lunesse, that is very pretty. I know all about "assymetical" beads. They are all the ones in the blurry background of my picture :) I too was so enthralled with the bubble part I kind of forgot to make the bead round. :D

Here is the link to assignment 2, I can wait to see what you do!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221203

Jamn!
10-11-2004, 10:13 AM
O.K. so I have to file this under the "stuff I gotta do someday!" :)

Very very cool effect!!