PDA

View Full Version : "Chris", WIP

ShellyF
10-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Here's my latest, on masonite, 16x20.

The first is my initial sketch, done on newsprint. Once I am happy with proportions, and such, I transfer it over to the masonite, by rubbing graphite all over the back and tracing the sketch on. This sketch looks a bit off though, because after I took the picture I made more changes, especially to the ear area. I do continue to refine the sketch once it's on the board.

The next one is the underpainting, done in burnt sienna, and FUB (very ugly stage, I know :rolleyes: )

I always start adding colour to the background or clothes or hair first, skin usually comes in a bit later.

The last is where I am at now. I really need to work on the arm. I am having a hard time getting a decent picture of it, but you get the idea (I'm hoping Santa will bring me a good camera :angel: ) Now let's just hope I can upload these in the right order LOL!

Charlie's Mum
10-05-2004, 06:25 PM
This seems to be developing well Shelly.
Pardon my ignorance, but what's FUB - forget that, just worked it out.....(it's getting late and I'm tired!!!!). :o
How long has it taken to reach this point? And do you always use these colours for your underpainting?
Look forward to seeing it done - I'm sure you'll sort the arm out!) Looks OK to me!) :D

romell
10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Very well done Shelly and thanks for sharing the WIP.
Just one question : Did you apply fixative on the under-drawing prior to application of underpainting?

Marty C
10-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Hi Shelly,
Looking very good, always great to see the stages a painting goes through.

ShellyF
10-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks Maureen, Romell, and Marty :)

Maureen, sorry, I was just in a hurry earlier, (and maybe a bit lazy :o LOL!), but it's french ultramarine blue. Hard to say how long it's taken me, I've been working on it on and off for about a week now. I usually use these colours for the underpainting, but I have tried a green underpainting, but didn't like the results as much.

Romell, yes I do put some workable fixative, because I find the pencil smears without it. But this time I ran into problems because the fixative left some large drops on the board and the first few layers of paints didn't adhere to those spots, but as I applied the paint a bit thicker it covered up the problem.

jbitzel
10-05-2004, 09:37 PM
where can I find more info on masonite, its archivability and where do I get it? :wave:

ExpressiveAngie
10-05-2004, 09:45 PM
:clap:
a WIP by you is golden!
Thank you. :)

chandlerjr
10-06-2004, 01:30 AM
Shelly,
Thanks for sharing the WIP with us. Very nice to see how your work develops. This is going to be good!

Just wondering--do you mainly do the underpainting to get your values right and work out the composition?
Larry C.

ShellyF
10-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Thanks James, Angie and Larry :)

James, I buy my masonite already precut from Currys art store, although I know many buy it from lumber store and cut it size themselves. I'm really not sure about the details of the archivel-ness (not a word, I know :p ), but I think it has been discussed in a few threads.

Larry, yes I mostly underpaint for my values. Coming from working with graphite, i find it much easier to see everything in one colour first. It really doesn't add too much time, as I am very loose with this layer not worrying about too much. I usually try to work out the composition part while playing around with the cropping in photoshop.

Not sure when I will get back to this one. It's been a bit of a busy and sad week. Unfortunately my dog passed away last night, and I am finding it very difficult. She has been my baby for 10 years... :crying:

chandlerjr
10-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Not sure when I will get back to this one. It's been a bit of a busy and sad week. Unfortunately my dog passed away last night, and I am finding it very difficult. She has been my baby for 10 years... :crying:

Shelly,
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. They become a part of the family. We have 1 dog and 3 cats, and they all have distinct personalities. I still remember the heart ache (especially for my daughter) when the dog, that my daughter literally grew up with, died, also at age 10.

You have my sympathy! :crying:
Larry C.

joa
10-07-2004, 12:29 PM
So sorry to hear about your dog's passing. I know how you feel, and how difficult it is to lose a beloved member of your immediate family. (She will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.)

ShellyF
10-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Thank you Joa and Larry

Shelly,
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. They become a part of the family. We have 1 dog and 3 cats, and they all have distinct personalities. I still remember the heart ache (especially for my daughter) when the dog, that my daughter literally grew up with, died, also at age 10.

You have my sympathy! :crying:
Larry C.

Larry, funny enough, I was worried about how my kids would take it, and they are taking it better than anyone, don't really seem affected at all :confused: (they are 5 and 7). She was so much a part of me though, and she will be greatly missed :crying: Thank you for your sympathy

ExpressiveAngie
10-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Poor Shelly and family, so sorry for your loss.

chandlerjr
10-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Larry, funny enough, I was worried about how my kids would take it, and they are taking it better than anyone, don't really seem affected at all :confused: (they are 5 and 7). She was so much a part of me though, and she will be greatly missed :crying: Thank you for your sympathy

Shelly,
At 5 and 7, kids don't really understand death and rebound very quickly from a loss of a pet or family member. My daughter was 14 when her 10 year old 1/2 Doberman/ 1/2 German Sheperd passed. The dog, "Katie" was her main playmate because there were not a lot of kids her age in the neighborhood. Katie was also my buddy as well. It is still hard to look at the photos, but we try to focus on the good and funny times we had with Katie.

After a little while, may be getting another dog would be good for you and the kids. We waited about 3 months and got another dog. Totally different personality, but that's the way it should be.

Take care and God Bless!
Larry C.