PDA

View Full Version : ...and just coming off my easel...

Charlie's Mum
10-05-2004, 03:21 PM
......yet another rose-
for a friend -
had to be pink-
on canvas board, 20x16ins.
Although it's about to be collected, there's still time for adjustment if anyone sees anything! After all, many eyes are better than two!! :)

The ref is from the IL, a photo by Pilan - with thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2004/30494-Pink_rose_resized.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

The colours are not quite true unfortunately - limitations of light, digicam and manipulation. The 'blue' shadows, left, are more grey/purple - as the photo came out v. blueish toned pink, I had to try to correct towards warmer orangey pink..............please use your imagination!!!!!!!!

Lady Carol
10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Won't comment on the colours then :evil:

This is very pretty and will grace any wall well. I love the looseness and yet the subtle texture you have achieved.

Lulu
10-05-2004, 04:40 PM
this is beautiful! your friend is going to love it. Love the delicacy of it - can almost smell the fragrance:)

ShellyF
10-05-2004, 05:48 PM
This is really beautiful, so soft and delicate!

Charlie's Mum
10-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Thank you very sincerely girls! :D

Another friend has asked for a painting of their dog - so he's next..........and in between, there are the WDEs to do............how many hours in a day?????

Marty C
10-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Hi Maureen,
Very, very nice indeed! Great background, and the rose itself is so delicate, nice job on the shading. Good work

ExpressiveAngie
10-05-2004, 10:23 PM
everything they said...I love it :clap:

joa
10-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Beautiful, Maureen! I like the luminosity of the rose! :clap:

Jo

Phranque
10-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Nicely done. I really like the blues and purples in the background.

Charlie's Mum
10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Thank you so much Marty, Angie, Jo and Frank.
I'm honoured that accomplished painters such as yourselves should like my rose! :o :o :D

mooz49
10-08-2004, 04:06 PM
This is beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

damar
10-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Lucky friend! Beautiful work! :clap:

Charlie's Mum
10-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Thank you Anne and Damar :D

paloma
10-09-2004, 12:41 PM
This is a beautiful delicate rendering - your friend will be very pleased indeed maureen. :clap: :clap: Alexandra

Charlie's Mum
10-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks Alexandra :D
Before your holiday I seem to think you asked about my paintings in my signature........
Anyway, if you check in here, the rose is somewhere in Acrylics and the others are all previous WDEs. If you're really interested (!!!), you'll see them by clicking on my name and following 'All threads started by...'. :angel: :D

Faded
10-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Wow, great job Mum, it's beautiful! :D

HRH Goldie
10-10-2004, 12:23 AM
before I go to bed I had to open and have a look! This is terrific :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Those leaves on the left look like fig leaves no not those ones! The ficus benjamina leaves. The faded out background on the left really concentrates the eye.
Did you paint your friend this one so you could get the other back? Lol!
I notice you always pick the more fully opened roses to do and in the past they are the ones I didn't think would work for me.
Trying the peach one taught me a valuable lesson and showed that once painted these sort of roses have much more dramatic effect.

Christine :envy:

SilverLady
02-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Charlie's Mum,
I would love to paint a rose for a friend of mine. May I go by your beautiful rose as a reference?

SilverLady

tubby2legs
02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I would also like to commend you on a lovely piece of work.

suegercag
02-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Totally beautiful!! I love it! can I be your friend too?.... : :D :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
02-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Well! Fancy that - an old thread resurrected :D
If it's of help to you Lois, please feel free to use it as ref......the photo is in the RIL, by Pilau I think.
Thanks Tubby and Sue - always nice to have more friends :wink2:

Incidentally Lois, there's another rose lurking around somewhere - a peach one. You'll find it here -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203211

Margaret 59
02-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Completely gorgeous Maureen! :clap: :

SilverLady
02-03-2005, 04:55 PM
I know and I remember it being soooooooooooo, beautiful. So here is what I have so far.

SilverLady

Any suggestions?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2005/18220-02-03-05_American_Beauty..JPG

cag152
02-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I like the delicacy of the work and depth achieved by adding the subtle touch of white to the lip of the nearest petal.
I think more of this effect portrayed in the setting of a 'forgotten secret garden' say, would really clinch it for me.
I love it :clap:

HRH Goldie
02-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi Lois,
Nice to see your interpretation of this one next to Maureen's. So different in style and I definitely think yours is in the folk art tradition. :clap:
You have some nice colours going on within the rose with some nice shading.
I did notice that you didn't have any shading on the leaves though where the flower petals overlap onto the leaf perhaps could do with a suggestion of shadow this perhaps would add to the dimension of the piece. Only other thing to suggest is perhaps watch the highlight colour on the leaf, not sure if it is just the monitor but it looks as if it is whitish. Perhaps it might be better if this was a yellow base colour or very light green. I say this only because I had this pointed out to me on one of my floral pieces by Maureen and I took her advice and changed it. It certainly made a difference and much easier on the eye.
I certainly don't think it needs much more to finish and once again your friends must be very very happy to know you, I bet they never want to fall out lol with receiving such lovely thoughtful gifts.
I hope this helps but I am sure Maureen will say things far better than me and maybe she will say I am totally wrong. :wink2: :wave:

SilverLady
02-03-2005, 11:10 PM
I made some changes. I added two leaves to seperate the roses.
Toned down the highlights.

I need to sign and varnish.

Any suggestions.

SilverLady

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2005/18220-05_02-03-05_American_Beauty..JPG

LisaArt
02-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Hi Maureen, Having my early morning coffee and logged on to wc and this made my day..
So beautiful and delicately rendered. You friend will be so please! :clap:
roses are so hard to paint, and you make it look so easy..Simply gorgeous,,,had to look again! :wave:

HRH Goldie
02-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Lois - That works much better for me :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
The rose leaf is by its very nature that lovely deep green you have now included.
What do you think? :clap: Are you happier with it or did you prefer it before?
:wave:

SilverLady
02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I am happy I added the leaves. Also that I toned down the lights.
I am happy with it and also the lady who is buying it. She is a friend of mine. A pen pal wants the magnolia.

I am so happy.

When I retire, this is what I hope I can do. Paint.

SilverLady

alfredart
02-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Hey Mum, beautiful work. I really lie the lighting and the softness of the rose. Really well done. The background is a killer, most wonderful! The whole painting works so well, very well done indeed.

Peace,
AL

Charlie's Mum
02-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Lois - sorry to take so long in getting back to you.
I'm glad you added the leaves to separate the roses - it gives much greater clarification to the heads and their shape and organisation.
I see Christine suggested a glazing of yellow over most of the high lights (yes, I do tend to prfer this to white), but a touch of white does have it's place in drawing attention to an area, bringing a piece forward-----and I think the yellow gives more light and life, BUT, if the purchaser is happy with it as is, why change? :D
Did you leave the backgound white/off white? Again, it's up to you - I tend to try to give my pieces 'context', a setting as it were rather than letting them float.
Whatever you do, it's still a lovely painting and I hope your friend enjoys it too :D

My thanks to the rest of you who've looked! It's lovely to have something resurrected!
Cag - what 'secret garden'? Have you seen something or are you suggesting I should make a setting for roses? :D

Thank you Margaret.
Lisa, you're so sweet! I wish the recipient of this rose had been so thoughtful - not even a 'thankyou'! Ah well, such is life!
Hey Al - a huge thank you for your comment -
All these comments have made my day! :D :o

cag152
02-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Ref: "secret garden" sorry, it was a small oil my grandmother had when I was small; your roses reminded me of it.
The backround to the painting was of a derilict doorway surrounded by broken down high walls. Although brambled and creepered in the center, new life was breaking through this long-abandoned garden in the form of wild roses. I thought it was secret because tall spooky trees on the outside seemed to be trying to crowd thier way in and it looked to me(then 7yrs old) that no human had been there for centuries.
Nowadays it might be termed as 'Victorian/romantic" espescially as the struggling roses highlighted by shafted light looked very pure.
For some reason I always had to look at it on every visit. No Idea where it is now...time moves on

Charlie's Mum
02-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Thanks Clive - love the memories - they'd make a lovely painting......maybe when you a little peace in SA you could put them on canvas. :)