PDA

View Full Version : Painting mist and need some help

strawberryfields
10-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to this website and making my way around. I am in the middle of a fantasy painting using acrylics. It is in all monochromatic blues and I am having a little trouble getting a mysty effect at the base of the mountains in the background. Any suggestions? I would appreciate anyones ideas. Thanks.

gnu
10-05-2004, 03:35 PM
wanna know what I do?
I take some acrylic white (or lightly tinted white) mix half and half with impasto gel medium(any medium which thickens the paint will do fine), take your finger and rub it over the area..no brush will do this to my satisfaction..
practice if you need to on a scrap of paper..less mist, less paint..:D
scumbling with thin paint is the only other way I've tried, but this is easier :D:D
Gill

romell
10-05-2004, 07:50 PM
For acrylic white, use Zinc white. It gives better effect than Titanium white.

strawberryfields
10-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Thank you for replying, I am definatley up for any ideas.
:clap:

chandlerjr
10-06-2004, 01:07 AM
strawberryfields,
It kind of depends on the type of mist you want to create. If you want a more smoky mist, I would mix a little prussian blue and Burnt Sienna together to produce a blackish hue. Then add a very small about of zinc white to lighten. Then mix a small amount of the resulting gray with a large amount of glazing medium--you want a grayish milky looking consistency and real transparent. Use a hog hair brush, and brush small amounts over the area, you want to be misty until you get the desired effect.

The blue of the painting will show through once the cloudiness of the mixture clears when dry. You may need to make several passes to get the level of mist effect you want. Build it slowly or you will regret it--you could take it too far.

Hope this helps!
Larry C.
Thank you for replying, I am definatley up for any ideas.
:clap:

strawberryfields
10-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Thank you Larry for the input. It is much appreciated.
:D