PDA

View Full Version : R108 stringer beads - oink

glassyeyed
10-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Here is my first attempt working the "Raku" glass. I went to OCR yesterday and bought 2 bars of R108. I piled it in the vitrograph and made a bunch of stringer. These are all Spectrum 96 base glass. I think I like the ivory best.

Of course, I have a ton of stringer now, so keep your eye on the swap shop....

gwacie
10-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Joanne, nice work!

Vitrograph ? - how high up do you have it? Are you pulling from underneath? I've been toying setting one up for fun.
thanks.

Amozoo
10-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Joanne, those are great. Thanks for giving us a look. I love the simplicity of the one on the left.

glassyeyed
10-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Joanne, nice work!

Vitrograph ? - how high up do you have it? Are you pulling from underneath? I've been toying setting one up for fun.
thanks.

Thanks for the nice comments. I don't have it set up very high right now - only about 3' - 4' feet off the ground. I set it up to pull stringer in funky shapes for my fused glass work, but it works great for this, too! I am pulling from underneath - properly protected (kiln clothes and glasses) from hot glass, of course!

sdbq
10-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Your beads are fabulous! But even more yummy is all that stringer in the background. :evil: I've never heard of a vitograph before, what is it? Obviously you can pull stringer from it but how??? Is this something the average beadmaker would be able to run from their workshop? And one more question, what or who, is OCR?

Thanks!

Lisa

swamperfolk
10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Here is my first attempt working the "Raku" glass. I went to OCR yesterday and bought 2 bars of R108. I piled it in the vitrograph and made a bunch of stringer. These are all Spectrum 96 base glass. I think I like the ivory best.

Of course, I have a ton of stringer now, so keep your eye on the swap shop....

Those are really neat. On Moretti Ivory you get the black lines around the edges like mosaic green does on ivory so I've been using opal yellow, ouch $. Mayhaps I''ll look into the spectrum ivory.

Nanette Marie
10-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Okay, I'll bite; what's a vitro-thing-a-ma-jig?? And jeeze-louise you sure have a lot of stringer; I had to take a second look, thought it was just straw used as a background. harhar
Nanette

glassyeyed
10-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Your beads are fabulous! But even more yummy is all that stringer in the background. :evil: I've never heard of a vitograph before, what is it? Obviously you can pull stringer from it but how??? Is this something the average beadmaker would be able to run from their workshop? And one more question, what or who, is OCR?

Thanks!

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa.
OCR is Olympic Color Rod. A vitorgraph is a way of rigging up a kiln set up fairly high off the ground. The kiln should be the kind with the removable bottom. You take the bottom off, and put the kiln on a piece of fiberboard with a hole in the middle. You set a crucible with a hole in the bottom inside the kiln, perched over the hole in the fiber board. (Boy, this is harder to describe than I thought!) The crucible is loaded with glass, and the kiln is cranked up to high. When the temps been hovering near 2000 for a bit, the melted glass will come through the hole in the bottom of the crucible. You can controll the flow to make thinner or thicker stringers. Anyone could probably do it if you have the right kind of kiln, fiber board, and a safe way of setting it all up.

Heather/Ericaceae
10-05-2004, 02:12 PM
(Edit - about 8 people posted while I was writing!)

Wow, you really made the RIO (Reichenback Iris Orange R-108 from OCR - Olympic Colour Rods... more acronyms to confuse the innocent... :) ) colours do their thing! It's not easy, as I'm discovering - I can't get it to work, even though I've tried TWICE!! :wink2: Great work - very inspiring!

The stringers are amazing. I've never thought of using a vitrograph to make normal lampworking stringer! (Not that I even have a kiln yet, but I'm planning to get a stacking-ring one, the AIM 84-BD, which I hear can work for that) I know there's vitrograph instructions on the Bullseye site:

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdfs/technotes_tipsheets/TechNotes_02.pdf

It blew my mind when I first read it! Way more advanced techniques than I'm ready for at this point, but cool to know about.

-Heather

glassyeyed
10-05-2004, 02:28 PM
That's funny, Heather, because last night, when I was making all the stringer, my husband and I were joking about how 'low tech' the whole process was. I think anyone can do it - if you have the right kiln. I'm using terra cotta flower pots for crucibles for goodness sake! :D They crack a lot, but they're so cheap, they're disposable. When I'm done with them, they make really nice yard art! ;)

Becky Mason
10-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Joanne,

Your beads are all so gorgeous. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong, but all I can get is a dull greyish green, or dark burnt umber. I'm working on a Lynx and OxyBox, and I know that others out there are using the same set up and getting good results. I'm frustrated, but I don't want to give up becuase I just LOVE the "right" results and I want to get there.

Becky

Heather/Ericaceae
10-05-2004, 03:57 PM
That's funny, Heather, because last night, when I was making all the stringer, my husband and I were joking about how 'low tech' the whole process was. I think anyone can do it - if you have the right kiln. I'm using terra cotta flower pots for crucibles for goodness sake! :D They crack a lot, but they're so cheap, they're disposable. When I'm done with them, they make really nice yard art! ;)

It sounds like you're using the same method described on the Bullseye site. Cool! But even though it's "low-tech" in a way, you would (I imagine!) need a fair amount of knowledge of kilns and glass properties, a good versatile studio set-up, safety gear for the arms and hands, helpers, the right glass in the right form, etc. Something we all aspire to, but not something that most newbies have, for sure! Vitrigraphing is yet another thing for me to dream of (and plan for!) for the future. :) I'd LOVE to see what else you do with your vitrigraph - fusing projects, glass nests, etc?? It's super-neat. Thanks again!

-Heather

bjcohan
10-05-2004, 10:45 PM
That is extremely cool, but I am waaay too clumsy to even be allowed *near* a setup like that.

Barb:cat:

seagirl
10-06-2004, 11:01 AM
What kind of effects are you getting in the kiln ? I was wondering about that since you would have a constant temperature during the kiln firing and wouldn't have opportunity to use the "cold" brass marver like you do when you are using a torch

glassyeyed
10-06-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm such a ditz. Re-reading this thread I see that over and over I typed vitrOgraph. It's a vitrIgraph...with an i not an o. What a stupod mostake...O'm so embarrassed. What shall O blame ot on? Oh, O know, the i on my keyboard os broken.

dread
10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
WOW this is way too cool - Just when you thought you had read everything
Great stuff

tulips
10-06-2004, 06:28 PM
I would be very interested in getting some of that stringer! How do you get to the swap shop? I found it a few times but can't find where to click today. I guess my mind is going.....sigh.

KristiB
10-06-2004, 07:31 PM
I went to OCR yesterday and bought 2 bars of R108.

Hmmmmm.... I just called today about an order that was supposed to ship and was told they've been out of R108 rods for over a MONTH... Were you really there yesterday and did they have more than 2??

Inquiring minds wanna know.. ;)

Oh, almost forgot, beautiful beads btw!

Kristi

glassyeyed
10-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Hmmmmm.... I just called today about an order that was supposed to ship and was told they've been out of R108 rods for over a MONTH... Were you really there yesterday and did they have more than 2??

Inquiring minds wanna know.. ;)

Oh, almost forgot, beautiful beads btw!

Kristi

I was really there on Monday. Right, and I mean almost immediatly, before I walked in the door, someone put a return back on the shelf. It was one whole bar, and another piece that was almost a whole bar. My best guess is that the person that originally purchased it didn't expect to get that huge "rod". Also, I don't think the person that put it on the shelf was supposed to do that. I only say that because as the nice young man (that's code for hottie when my husband is around) was finishing up my payment, the boss walked through and said, "Where'd you find that R108? We need that for backorders!" When the..eh hem.. "nice young man" started writing up my order, it wasn't even entered back into inventory in their system yet. He had to have someone do it so he could sell it to me. Needless to say, I quietly collected my stuff and walked out the door. Phil (I think it was Phil) was following me out the door trying to buy it back. I think (hope) he was just joking though, because we were haggling somewhere around twice what I paid for it!

KristiB
10-06-2004, 09:50 PM
I was really there on Monday. Right, and I mean almost immediatly, before I walked in the door, someone put a return back on the shelf. It was one whole bar, and another piece that was almost a whole bar. My best guess is that the person that originally purchased it didn't expect to get that huge "rod". Also, I don't think the person that put it on the shelf was supposed to do that. I only say that because as the nice young man (that's code for hottie when my husband is around) was finishing up my payment, the boss walked through and said, "Where'd you find that R108? We need that for backorders!" When the..eh hem.. "nice young man" started writing up my order, it wasn't even entered back into inventory in their system yet. He had to have someone do it so he could sell it to me. Needless to say, I quietly collected my stuff and walked out the door. Phil (I think it was Phil) was following me out the door trying to buy it back. I think (hope) he was just joking though, because we were haggling somewhere around twice what I paid for it!

LOL!!! That ROD IS MINE I TELL YOU!!!!!! I told the guy on the phone that probably what's going to happen is this.....They have a gazillion backorders and when the R108 comes in, it's going to be totally different that what's been sitting on the shelf for eons that everyone has fallen in love with!! He laughed and said "that's probably true"!!
You're one lucky girl!!

Kristi

glassyeyed
10-07-2004, 03:38 AM
Uh, oh, Kristy. As my 12 YO daughter is so often heard saying....Ooops! Sorry.

saucy
10-07-2004, 08:04 AM
That is extremely cool, but I am waaay too clumsy to even be allowed *near* a setup like that.

Barb:cat:
Me too. I can't walk straight without tripping over my own feet. Who would want me near that?

tulips
10-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Who would return GLASS? :confused:

MegannsMom
10-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Who would return GLASS? :confused:

LOL! My thoughts EXACTLY!!
~Cindy