PDA

View Full Version : Stained glass beads

Rose Leslie
10-05-2004, 12:36 PM
:clap: I tried some stained glass to make some beads with. I made some interesting results with the stained glass. Only used the glass with some other to see what it would do. I don't have a photo of that one but this really seems to be working out. :clap:

MiniLady
10-05-2004, 02:49 PM
I too have used stained glass to make some fantastic looking beads. I like the way it melts using my hot head. I get perfectly round beads without a lot of effort. One set actually turned out looking like turquoise. At work now, but will post some pictures later tonight.

MiniLady
10-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Sorry it took me a little time, here are some pictures of the beads I have made with regular stained glass.

jessicah
10-08-2004, 10:24 PM
I love making beads with stained glass. Great pinks that you can't find in moretti. And I love the swirly look you get. Here are some I've done.

Lara
10-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Me too. I love making beads witih stained glass. I too get more round beads when using the stained glass strips. I wonder if it is because the glass is wider. I don't know. You can get some awsome pinks. My stained glass beads are below. All bullseye. The 2 blue/green sets are made from the some sheet of glass. Just cut off the dark part for the dark beads and the opaque lighter part for the minty green beads.

Lara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/10029-apricot_swirls_set_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/10029-Small_CBSET.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2004/10029-jadegreen_swirls_2.jpg

Lara

ajwhite
10-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi,
Is all stained glass compatable? I have many sheets I've bought at Hobby Lobby and would love to try this - since I'm not using them for their intended purpose of stained glass work I might as well melt them..he he he. I just want to make sure they all have the same COE.

Anyone know???

Audra

mtbarr
10-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Not all stained glass is compatible. But if you stick to all Spectrum or all Bullseye, etc. you will be pretty safe on compatibility.... Have fun. It does offer some unique colors.... I particularly like the varigation created when you place the pieces (precut into 1/4 inch wide strips and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces)on their edge on the mandrel then burn it down and around..

jamilyn
10-09-2004, 01:42 AM
I bought this sheet glass at the recommendation of Lara oh so many months ago and I love it. It is not all compatible with each other so you have to be aware if it is "fusable" when you buy it.

StefaniBeads
10-09-2004, 06:35 AM
I made these beads with little square Spectrum mosaic tiles and then rolled in frit. Easy to get the beads the same size! Plus, I noticed that these little tiles melted fast and gave me bigger beads than I normally make. :)

Vaverska
10-09-2004, 08:36 AM
I find that Stained Glass gives me more symetrical ( rounder, and bigger, and easier to shape too) beads because of its STIFFNESS. This gives me great control over where the glass goes! I love the luminescence of it too! Some Looks like Moretti Opals, but no worries with burning, and way brighter colors! My daughter has begun making beads now, and I'm considering putting her on stained glass exclusively until she makes a decent round. besides, the patience needed to melt it ( some of it is SLOOOOW!) is probably a good lesson learned as well! :evil:
Anyway, I'm a big fan of Stained Glass for torch work!
Pretty streakies ladies!

AMR GlassWorks
10-09-2004, 08:54 AM
I've mixed the glass from Hobby Lobby with no problems at all. Sorry I don't have pics!! Everyone's beads here are gorgeous!! I just may pick my scraps back up! Hi Lara :wave: that middle set of yours almost looks like boro to me!! :D

quill
10-09-2004, 10:24 AM
I love to see beads made with stained glass. It has always been my favorite glass to work with!
With a little experimenting I have been able to get effects that I think are different than you can get with Effetre.

!Karen
10-09-2004, 10:38 AM
This thread has inspired me to cut up some stained glass and make some beads!

Quill, that heart is so wispy, it resembles Gaffer! Very nice!

Does everyone feel comfortable using frits on stained glass beads? Lisa your's are lovely, have you had any problems with the frit beads?

CharleneN
10-09-2004, 10:44 AM
AAAAHHHH Such Beautiful beads! I have been looking at stained glass and admiring it for awhile. I guess I'm just gonna have get me some after seeing all these lovely beadies. Thanks for sharing everyone!

quill
10-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Does everyone feel comfortable using frits on stained glass beads?
If you use Gaffer or any of the other types of glassblowers frit that have been popular lately, they are actually closer in COE to Spectrum & Bullseye than they are to Effetre.
I personally wouldn't use Effetre frit with my Stained glass beads.

backroombeads
10-09-2004, 10:51 AM
When I first started torching, I tried some stained glass scrap that was given to me and got nothing but dark mucky beads. But now that I'm on a minor I think I'll give it a shot again and might have better luck since I know a little more than I did three years ago. The beads you all have posted here are awesome! Thanks for the inspiration. Pat

!Karen
10-09-2004, 11:25 AM
When I first started torching, I tried some stained glass scrap that was given to me and got nothing but dark mucky beads. But now that I'm on a minor I think I'll give it a shot again and might have better luck since I know a little more than I did three years ago. The beads you all have posted here are awesome! Thanks for the inspiration. Pat

Yep, I made a mess of my stained glass on the HH, but I have no patience and like to go fast and hot.

It was much nicer with the oxy/fuel flame, but I did turn a few greens to a red brick color trying to melt it faster! :rolleyes:

unburied treasure
10-09-2004, 10:21 PM
I started making beads with a HH and only scrap glass from my S.G. work. It took alot for me to move onto rods. I still love to use Bullseye because of the variety I get cutting sheet glass for my base bead/marble then decorating with all their manufactured frit & rod K-

KD-W
10-11-2004, 02:17 AM
I hope some of you get to see either of my 1 1/2 hr videos called "Making Beads With Stained Glass Remnants " Parts 1 or 2... I think you would find them useful...Kate.

StefaniBeads
10-11-2004, 03:50 AM
This thread has inspired me to cut up some stained glass and make some beads!

Quill, that heart is so wispy, it resembles Gaffer! Very nice!

Does everyone feel comfortable using frits on stained glass beads? Lisa your's are lovely, have you had any problems with the frit beads?

I use some Bullseye sheet glass with Reichenbach or Gaffer frit, but I mostly use System 96 fusible sheet glass (it's Spectrum) for my beads. The tiles are Spectrum 96.

I got more mosaic tiles in yesterday, can't wait to go play! It's makes my sessions go faster. Also with more confidence that they will be sized to one another, and there is less to put in the "extras" jar. ;) :)

CarolinaDreamDesigns
10-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Lisa - what size are your litle lovelies?

I went and saw tiles online that are 1/2" by 1/2" and some that are 1" by 1/4 " = are they the same ones people are using and how do the different sizes melt down?

Any recommendations anyone?

Martha <<-- always after a new glass fix

dimunoz1881
10-11-2004, 05:36 PM
How wide do you cut those strips of glass?
Do you wind the glass strips directly onto the mandrels, what about annealing? All the beads are beautiful and sounds like a great way to use up pieces of glass that I have.

Dionisia

McDuck
10-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Arent stained glass beads beautiful! Our own Dichro Diva , Karen S. can give you lots of clues and hints to using it. SHe makes the largest most beautiful dichro and stained glass beads you have ever seen. Also she cuts them into exact strips so all her beads are the same size. Clever woman she is!!!

Show us more!

-Mary

McDuck
10-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Do you wind the glass strips directly onto the mandrels, what about annealing? All the beads are beautiful and sounds like a great way to use up pieces of glass that I have.

Dionisia

yes you use a pair of pliers ling nosed ones to hold the glass and apply to the mandrel and yes you have to anneal. As for sizes you pic what you want and go for it.

snootyvixen
10-11-2004, 05:56 PM

Dionisia

I cut mine to about 1/4", seems to work well!

And, anneal my Spectrum alongside the Effetre.

Vikki

McDuck
10-11-2004, 06:00 PM
I cut mine to about 1/4", seems to work well!

And, anneal my Spectrum alongside the Effetre.

Vikki

half inch and one inch work well for larger beads too.

CarolinaDreamDesigns
10-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Lisa - what size are your litle lovelies?

I went and saw tiles online that are 1/2" by 1/2" and some that are 1" by 1/4 " = are they the same ones people are using and how do the different sizes melt down?

Any recommendations anyone?

Martha <<-- always after a new glass fix

Anyone? any info?

Thanks -

Martha

zim
10-12-2004, 10:02 PM
This thread has really inspired me! I have alot of stained glass sheets and small leftovers...cant wait to make some beads with them! Also just read about the baking soda beads :eek: . So many ideas, so little time..sigh.
Thanks everyone for the inspiration- beautiful beads!!

~Donna

quill
10-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Wanted to share some of my most recent favorites. I hope these show a little of why I love using stained glass for beads.

tulips
10-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Hmmm, eyeing all the stained glass sheets in the studio that I haven't touched in ages.....I wonder what kind of glass is what? Annealing cycles are my concern . I might have to go buy some more, paying more attention to what brand I am buying. I wish we had a hobby lobby here. I've never been in one. We have Michael's and AC Moore.

I went and checked out Kate D-W's website, just in case you haven't been there you should go .......a neat way to win a house! I can see myself in AZ..... :)

Jamn!
10-12-2004, 11:45 PM
omg NOT something else to buy. :rolleyes: These are really cool looking. I love the swirly colors. Those pinks and blues are incredible!
Thanks for sharing! :)

Laurie L
10-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Bringing this thread back because I had a question.

Went to the local Stained Glass Shoppe and asked for spectrum glass remenants or leftovers. Told her what I wanted to use it for and she said I would have to grind down the edges before I could use for beadmaking ?????

Does this have to be done?

AMR GlassWorks
10-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Nope but be careful as the edges are pretty sharp! I just cut mine in to strips and melt away! Have fun!! These were made with spectrum transparent orange and raku frit. The orange went to a translucent red-orange when heated. :D

Laurie L
10-17-2004, 06:25 PM
There are so many MORE colors available with the Stained Glass. Does it really melt faster?

snootyvixen
10-17-2004, 06:31 PM
There are so many MORE colors available with the Stained Glass. Does it really melt faster?

I'm not sure it melts faster, but it does melt differently from Effetre. I find that my ends often crack off. The first bead is fine, but any subsequent beads it happens on. It may help if you have a rod warmer to keep it warm? Not sure!

vikki

Vaverska
10-17-2004, 08:11 PM
No need to grind the edges off. I simply do a sitting where I heat the end if each strip I intend to hold SLOWLY and carefully in the flame. This rounds off the edges so they're safe when I am ready to go! I generally cut a bunch and pre-heat/round the edges as a whole afteernoons project. I did pre-anneal some, and they did fine, but I don't have much trouble with breakage when i heat them up to torch so it didn't seem worth the trouble to me. :)
Glad you're enjoying the Stained Glass! I have a ball with it and find it VERY easy to command the shape I want from it.

Nonie
10-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Jessie?..who makes the pink ...is it Spectrum?

I love making beads with stained glass. Great pinks that you can't find in moretti. And I love the swirly look you get. Here are some I've done.

Geneva
10-18-2004, 12:05 AM
WARNING! Using a piece of glass that has been ground is just like using a rod that was cut with a band saw. You may get that scummy line from the ground surface. This is caused from air and dust caught in the rough surface of the ground area as it melts.
Geneva

Nonie
10-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Ann....those are so beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nope but be careful as the edges are pretty sharp! I just cut mine in to strips and melt away! Have fun!! These were made with spectrum transparent orange and raku frit. The orange went to a translucent red-orange when heated. :D

craftscout
10-18-2004, 09:14 AM
I just played with stained glass for the first time this weekend, and it was soooo much fun! Wind a bead and instant swirls and whirls and color play. (Sorry, they are off being annealed, so no pics). But I did notice that they toook a whole lot longer to heat and melt on my hothead than moretti. And since this was the first time I played with any other type of glass, I REALLY noticed the difference, it felt stiffer than the stiffest clear. If you haven't tried it, do! It's fun :) :)

AMR GlassWorks
10-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Ann....those are so beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Nonie! :wave:

jessicah
10-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Jessie?..who makes the pink ...is it Spectrum?
Hi Nonie-sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven't looked at this thread for a few days. Yes, the pink is Spectrum. :D I have also used Bullseye, Uroboros, and Armstrong. Such a large colour palette!

Laurie Carroll
10-18-2004, 10:24 PM
They all look really good and organic!! Which I like very much...

But how wide do you cut the strips??? 1/4" ?????

Thx

Laurie (Laurence)
Waiuku/NZ

snootyvixen
10-18-2004, 10:35 PM
I aim for 1/4" but I can't break in a straight line for love nor money! Mine end up varying between 1/4" and 1/2" LOL!

Vikki