PDA

View Full Version : Postage & Packaging

Nitsa
10-05-2004, 04:50 AM
Ok, I have to send two paintings tomorrow and I have the cardboard tube things to put them in.

Any tips, anything I should know?
I'm so worried about rolling them up.

Do you roll yours into tubes to post?
If so, were you nervous about rolling them the first time too?

artmom
10-05-2004, 05:34 AM
Anita, the original Round Robin Global Village painting traveled 39,900 miles in a tube and 20 people handled it!!!!

The three Robin Round paintings also have traveled by tube--a couple of them around the world.

Don't be nervous!!! Just put a note in, telling the new owners how to let the painting "relax" after removing it from the tube.

Lyn

Flattwo
10-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Hi

If you have to roll them, use the 3 inch dia tubes. otherwise sandwich the painting between two stiff gator type boards, wrap in bubble wrap and then pop into heavy poly bag, I use the garden rubble type and then mark FRAGILE all over

Flattwo

Nitsa
10-05-2004, 07:25 AM
Thanx Lyn!
You have eased my mind!
"Relax"???...Any idea how I should word this or how it would be done?...Just left to unravel naturally?...Or layed flat with weight upon it?

This is all new to me as I usually have smaller paintings and send them in cardboarded envelopes!

Nitsa
10-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Sorry Flattwo, didn't see you there!...Thanx for the tip! ;)

NodakerDeb
10-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Sadly, the Poppy painting I sent to Carola in exchange for a lovely painting from her NEVER arrived (US - Belgium) :crying: . I had sent it in a tube, and on the customs slip had listed it as a watercolor. That was nearly 3 months ago. I sent her another painting, but this time I put it between two layers of foamcore, or stiff cardboard... can't remember now. On the customs slip I listed it as a photograph. It arrived to her house within days. I think it is best to send paintings as incognito as possible so as not to alert dishonest postal workers. :(

Deb

pampe
10-05-2004, 10:25 AM
((Anita)) they'll be fine....

send "flattening instructions" along for the buyers

ktrayn78
10-05-2004, 01:41 PM
I started selling my paintings on eBay in August and shipping was one of my biggest concerns. This is what I do, and I've had no problems: I put my paintings (sheathed in tracing paper) into padded envelopes (that I've tested in the sink to make sure won't leak) with a heavy card board backing (usually the back of a pad of watercolor or drawing paper, plenty of those in the house.) My paintings are pretty small though. I'm sure at some point it becomes difficult to find the right size envelopes and then you'd have to use the rolls.

Nitsa
10-10-2004, 03:52 AM
Oh Deb, that's just awful! I will learn from your horrid experience...TY!

Pampe...If I knew what the flattenening instructions were I'd gladly include them! LOL!

Ktrayn....This was 15x22", so a padded envelope wasn't an option. :(

WELL..........I got my roll out, only 2" diam. I'm afraid.....and I started to roll.
I have NEVER tried anything so scary in ALL my life! After a 5 minute attempt I gave up, sweated alot, drank heaps of caffeine and then looked around for an alternative.
Luckily I still had the box that the original block was deleivered in, so I grabbed it from the shed & used that.

From my experience........TIP: NEVER try to fit a 15x22" painting into a 2" tube....You're heart won't take it!

It arrived with the client on Friday morning! :D

old navy
10-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi Nitsa,I use things that I learned on this site.Here it is ,I buy a box from a store and lock that is used to transport a large mirror.Out of that you can cut it in half and get two boxes that will hold a 3 or 4 18 by 24 paintings.I put the painting between 2 pieces of cardboard that has been taped on each side.Then I put it in the middle of the box with newspaper on front and back.4.50 for the mirror box and I had the cardboard on hand.Works Great.Ron