PDA

View Full Version : ***Daily Drookit (wash) -Tuesday 5th October 04***

Roun2it
10-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Morning each,

and another restless night, with all the sleep I've lost I should have a year's snoozing owed somewhere!!

Spoke to Tom last night, he and Mags are distraught, the cancer has moved to affect the bones in her chest, legs and worst of all her spine. She now has to wait to see the oncologist, on Thursday, for more news on how to progress. Normal zapping processess will commence from then. There is a good side they say...........uhmph........at least the cancer has not attacked any soft cells...........

I looked for that book, Anatomy of an Illness, Norman Cousins, that a couple of you recommended last night, but is now out of print and unavailble.

This darn op of mine, I would like to go over to Yorkshire and give them a big hug, but can't travel that far, a 4 hour round trip with my leg the way it is at the mo. So can only send them higgles and things.

BBL

Christie
10-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Morning All!

Found out today that the pneumonia is still there today. I start the third round of antibiotics tomorrow. Pretty grumpy right now, but I expect that some sleep will deal with that.:D Right now, I am not all the pleasant to be around!:D

Hope everyone is having a good day. Will be back before I go tutor at the school.

Take care.

Roun2it
10-05-2004, 12:26 AM
Morning All!

:D Right now, I am not all the pleasant to be around!:D

Christie, with your whirlwind lifestyle, I never considered it would be pleasent being around you :p ..........Keep taking the meds.........

ScarletLake
10-05-2004, 12:47 AM
HI All for Tuesday Oct 5th

Kev - I don't know the whole story regarding Mags but did they just find this or has it been a reoccurance. That sounds like pretty far advanced to just be detected. Lots of hugs & prayers her way.

Christie - feel better soon. Amazing that alot of things a now becoming resistant to our meds. Drink lots of water.

I'm going to Dr. today for my shoulder. Got job interview Wed morning. Think goodness that I can move around good now. Not like Saturday.

Ever feel like you needed a Life Coach. I really feel the need to change some things in my life right now. The job first, family finances & priortites next. Funny how in your 20's & 30's your all about acheiving, running around, etc. Now at 45 I just don't want to do certain things anymore. I really just want more time with family & more time to persue things we're REALLY interested in. SIMPLIFY.

Painting wise I'm going to find a portion of the fall leaf painting I have bben working on & make a card out of it to copy & send friends. HAPPY FALL card.

Been reading a book Watercolor Wisdom. Really getting alot out of it.

OK it's 12:30 am & I'm still not ready for bed. Must have been the nap from 7pm till 10 pm. So think I'll go paint.

Best Wishes for all

Anita

Christie
10-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Christie, with your whirlwind lifestyle, I never considered it would be pleasent being around you :p ..........Keep taking the meds.........

Hee, hee, I think it is actually pretty boring around here.:D I guess having to keep up with George has toughened me up.:D

I find myself wondering why I do this to myself. I think I have a free day on Friday (kind of...).:( Just a busy week this week. Next week slows down quite a bit.

I cannot even find Anatomy of an Illness listed on Amazon.ca, so it must be really out of print! Have you checked with the library system yet?

Part of JJ and Alan's visit has been arranged. Don't you just love arranging someone else's life?:D

Now I really am going to bed!:D

mr sandbanx
10-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Kevin sorry about your friend, I know how tough it can be. Lots of prayers will be said here for her and hopefully you can express all that to her when you see her.

Anita: SIMPLIFY is exactly right.

Christie take care of yourself.

Everyone else, hello. I should refrain from Tim's extra large coffee at painting class!!! But how else to keep pace with Kevin.

will rest at work and be ready to start the pub later today. The poem is in the bag!!!

Seeya all

Chris

Roun2it
10-05-2004, 01:42 AM
Kev - I don't know the whole story regarding Mags but did they just find this or has it been a reoccurance. That sounds like pretty far advanced to just be detected. Lots of hugs & prayers her way.

No that’s what makes it so devastating, 9mths ago she gave birth to their first child, that was the portrait I did not long ago. She went through the rigors of pregnancy and the careful medical checks that an older, expectant mother would anticipate. But she just found the lump after self examination a month ago.

The mind boggles at the power of this awful invasive, silent, but deadly disease.

I now feel I have laid bear enough, or even too much about, my friends, it has been good to talk, and when hope was more apparent, it was helpful.

But I now feel that I am raping their privacy by typing this, and all they have left is their privacy now. So I regret to say, that I must now respect my friends, and I don’t think there will be anymore in depth updates. This matter is for them to deal with. I have probably gone too far already. Thanks for all your healing light and good wishes. I have and will continue to pass them on.

vasilkadifeli
10-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Good morning every body...

I am off to a meeting... I just red the bad news about Pat's son, and want to say I am sorry... but he is really lucky... I wish him gets well soon...

:wave: for now...

ScarletLake
10-05-2004, 01:52 AM
Kev

Thank you for the info. I didn't mean to pry. I'm a nurse & am always awestruck about things that happen like this. I certainly wish them the best.

They are lucky to have such good friends as you to pray for them.

Anita

vasilkadifeli
10-05-2004, 01:54 AM
... oh Kev ! sorry to here those news about Mag (friend ? relative?)...

Roun2it
10-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Anita believe me none of what I said was aimed in your direction. I just felt wrong when I typed what I considered to be a normal response.

I do hope I did not offend you.

Lulu
10-05-2004, 03:21 AM
Hi everyone.
Just want to say Kev, that we understand you wanting to respect Mags and Tom's privacy. Have to say that every time I thought of them today (and their precious baby) I have just wanted to weep.
They (and you and Chris) will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Well I am almost recovered from my chest infection, and John has gone down with it. I MADE him go to the doctor today, all the signs were looking like he was going down the same road. Fortunately it hasn't got as bad, so antibiotics should clear it pretty quickly. Don't want it to interfere with our plans to go to Australia two weeks today.

Pat, thinking of you too.

I am having coffee with our son Michael tomorrow. I always love being able to do that. He's a teacher and we are meeting at the cafe across the road from his school at lunchtime. My shout I think;) hehe
His fellow teachers surprised him with a baby shower on the last day of last term. They are a great bunch.

Been spring-cleaning again today, but will refrain from describing it LOL
I DID love the cartoon Kev did, and so do my sisters! lol
John thought you were very clever too Kev:)
I've saved it.

Better go and keep John company in front of the tele.
Nite nite :wave:

Yorky
10-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Morning all :wave:

Still shell-shocked from yesterdays news from Pat and Kev :(

Just as some of our invalids seem to be on the mend we have more trauma. That's life I suppose. I understand your feelings, Kev, it's a difficult topic to handle.

Hope Jamie is not too sore this morning, Pat.

Pretty dreary rainy morning here - but I had a lift last evening with a call from the chairman of Newburgh Parish Council.

One of their older members is retiring after many years' service and she wanted to commission a painting of Newburgh as a retirement present from the council. Of course I said she could take her pick from the remaining Newburgh originals - and gratis - I am too busy to do another at present. Freda (who is retiring) is an old friend and I am only pleased to think they like my work enough to ask.

Bye for now,

Doug

Europa
10-05-2004, 03:59 AM
MORNING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Well if I thought things might have settled down here in the Brogan household I was wrong - got a phone call at 8am this morning to say that DN Liam had snapped the key in the car door so I had to drag myself out of bed to take him the spare - got in Jamie's car and it wouldnt start :mad: - eventually got it going though. Methinks we should give up on cars and start using bikes.....lol.

Kev - understand completely your respect for your friend's privacy but be assured we will keep them in our thoughts.

Christie - just can't imagine you not being pleasant to be around :evil:

Anita - it's simple - pack up everything - move to a beautiful island and paint :D - who needs the rat race?

Vasil - thanks for your thoughts.

Waving to Lulu and Chris :wave:

Oops Doug we crossposted - congrats on your painting being chosen.

Jamie is still in bed - SWMBO is still in bed - methinks she may get a bit of a shock me being up TWO MORNINGS on the run (I may need to lie down later to get over the shock myself.....lol)

Well catch you all later - love and hugs all around

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

droll13
10-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Morning each,

I looked for that book, Anatomy of an Illness, Norman Cousins, that a couple of you recommended last night, but is now out of print and unavailble.

I Googled "Anatomy of an Illness" and got many hits - it appears to still be available, try Barnes & Noble, W. W. Norton & Company, E-Bay.

My thoughts are with you and your friend.

artmom
10-05-2004, 04:23 AM
(((Christie))), have they given you a Z-Pak (zithromax or azithromycin) yet? It's about the strongest antibiotic available. I personally can't take it--I get really anxious and get a whole body rash with it! :eek: Also, have you considered resting?????? Could you go to a motel for a couple of days, letting your husband or mother or friend take care of the kids? If you don't, you may end up in hospital. :mad:

((((Kev)))), hope venting on here has helped you, but I understand your reluctance to continue posting the news of Mags.

(((Pat))), hope Jamie feels okay today. BTW, will this accident affect his taxi license???? Even though he was not breaking any laws, etc.

Congrats, Doug. :)

Lulu, these dadgum bugs are getting highly resistant to everything, aren't they! Hope hubby caught it early and doesn't have a long siege of it.

It's time for me to get my flu shot. Also time to get another pneumonia shot.
Doc is also considering adding regular (quick-acting) insulin to my regime at mealtimes!!! That'll be four shots a day and 7 finger sticks! Yuk! :mad:

Anita, take care lifting those patients!

Vasil and Chris, :wave:

Well, since I haven't had a nap or been to bed since I got up at 9:00 am Monday morning, and it is now around 4:30 am Tuesday morning, perhaps I should head for bed!! :rolleyes: Around 2:30 am, Ed announced that he reckoned he better go to bed--don't know what's wrong with the two of us; it's not a full moon, is it???? LOL I'm still not sleepy, but am tired!

May your today be better than your yesterday.

Lyn

jaytee
10-05-2004, 04:59 AM
Just popped in........for a smile in verses and a tear here. .......before going off to do a PAID garden design. .......in just an hour.......... so better get moving...........

had the worse dream EVER last night so trying to break the spell here..........but runs too deep toforget in a hurry..........
BBL

HH&J

artmom
10-05-2004, 05:38 AM
((((Jaytee))))

Well, I haven't gone to bed yet (rather obvious isn't it? LOL) but having now been up 20 hours am about to fall out of my chair! :eek: So, I'm off to try to go to sleep!

BBL

Lyn

painterbear
10-05-2004, 06:03 AM
Good Morning all,

It is quarter to six on a cold Fall morning here in Oakwood. We had frost warnings last night so covered the garden with plastic wraps. We have warm weather predicted for the rest of the week and want to give the last few tomatoes and eggplants a chance to grow a little more before we have to harvest them.

White light and good vibes and :music: jingles :music: to all who are feeling poorly or who have friends and loved ones who are. May you all get better soon, physically and mentally.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES TODAY TO W.F.MARTIN! Hope you have many more and the good health to enjoy them, Bill!

JayTee, Isn't it nice to be paid for doing something you like to do???? Hope you forget about the bad dream quickly. I'm one of those people who knows I dreamt, but can never remember what the dream was about! Weird, eh?

Pat, It's good your sense of humor is still intact, sounds like you've needed a positive attitude the last few days!

Lyn, DH and I have an appointment to get our flu shots on the 12th at the same Senior Center where I take my painting classes. We got the last two appointments that were available! They are also giving them in the pharmacy sections of the big grocery stores around here. No sense taking a chance on getting the flu, that's for sure! Hope you are off in dreamland by now enjoying the rest.

Anita, Good news on the job interview. Hope it is one you would like to have and the interview goes well.

Weaving and sending {{{hugs}}} to anyone who wants one to Kev, Christie, Vasil, Baba, Doug, Lulu, Dave, and all who are yet to come.

Learned to do a thumbnail value sketch yesterday in art class, but need to practice seeing the values and putting them into the sketch more. I still get hung up on the details of the image rather than the shapes of the lights and darks. Aaargh!

Just to brag a little, here is a recent photo of Atticus, his Mom Stephanie, and baby brother Dashiell (handsome, isn't he? ;) ) The second one is of my DH with son Kent, Steph and the boys in the new tandem stroller we gave them to celebrate Dashiell's birth. Forgive a proud Grandmom, please. :rolleyes:

Sylvia

BobH
10-05-2004, 06:50 AM
Mornin' everyone.

It's chilly here in NC this morning! I was shivering a little when I went out to get the paper.

My thoughts are with those that need them today, particularly Kev's friends.

Pat, I'm glad Jamie is ok, the picture of the car is certainly heart-stopping.

Lyn, I hope you sleep well. I think you said something yesterday about us being close to each other now that I've moved? You're in TN, correct? It would be neat to see each other some time. And vestalqueen lives that way too, correct? There are so many new places we want to see that we haven't had time to get to, the mind boggles!

Beautiful family, Sylvia!

I still have the elephant and I still haven't put a drop of paint on it. I did start preparations last night, cleaned up the palette and thought about what I was going to do. Does that count? (then I fell asleep on the couch :o )

Umm, I know there has been a lot of sadness in the wash lately and I hesitate to add to it. But I would ask for your white light and prayers for my mom. She had a cerebral hemmorage a couple weeks ago. She wasn't supposed to survive but has somehow confounded the doctors and is rallying a little.
I've discovered that irony can be a little hard to swallow. I lived in Sandwich, MA for 20 years. And then I moved to Raleigh, NC and 2 months after I move my mom is seriously ill, lying in the hospital that is 15 minutes from where I used to live. :crying: I've flown back once and am flying back again this weekend, hoping to see the improvement my dad and sisters have been telling me about.

Sorry for being a downer, but I can't wrap my mind around much else at this point. I've got a serious case of the guilts right now. I've never been a religious person but I'm beginning to wonder ...

Bob

Little Old Lady
10-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Greetings :wave:
Good vibes to all who need them.Thinking of all who suffering themselves or for friends and family.
Bob there is no reason for you to feel guilty!
In our small community we had a 42 yr old man die of a sudden geartach and a 46 yr old mother die of a stroke. within a week.
Painting group this morning.
JoAnn

Christie
10-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Good Morning All!

I think I am more pleasant to be around now.:D Of course that is only one dog's opinion.:evil:

Got up early and am already looking forward to a nap!:D Woke up to the sound of our youngest dog thinking about throwing up (sorry about being so graphic). She didn't and now I can't go back to sleep. :rolleyes: She, however, is curled up across my lap snoring her little heart heart out.:D

As for the pneumonia, I know I should be taking it easier, but things have just piled up this week for some reason and I am not sure why. Next week will be easier. In fact the rest of this week is okay as well. Lunch with friends, a vet appointment for the girls, lunch with son and husband... AND I can come home early and grab a short rest this afternoon before the kids arrive. Part of my problem is that I am used to being so active that I cannot settle down easily. Two or three days of complete rest just might push me into insanity.:D I will slow down, I promise.

I am on Levaquine and it made a HUGE improvement last round, so we'll see what happens this time. The problem is that I can't sleep very well while I am on it, so look for lots of middle of the night posts from me.:D

Kev, your concern for you friends comes through in everything you have said. They are in a terrible situation and they are lucky to have someone like you worrying about them. It's a shame about the 4 hour travel time and your knee. How frustrating for you!

Bob, my friend used to live in Raleigh! I'm sorry to hear about your mum. The distance must be difficult for you right now. Are you able to take some leave to stay with her for a bit? Moves can come at such awkward times can't they? I have to agree with JoAnn though, things happen when they happen, there is no need for guilt.

Anita, I know where you are coming from! I am in the same place myself. A life coach would be a huge help, at least the ones I have seen on tv.:D My big problem is that I do not know what I want to be when I grow up.:D I guess my second biggest problem is that I am almost 41 and should BE grown up!:D

Lulu, I am glad that you are feeling better.:)

Have to go get the boy up for school. Be back later.

Take care.

Uschi
10-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!! White roofs, blue sky, green and orange trees - beautiful!

Kev - what can one say, except that I am sooo sorry, and to say a prayer for your friend and family and a big cyber hug for you!

Christie - in the olden days you would have been ordered to bed at the very beginning and ordered to stay there until cured. I really hope that the third round of antibiotics work.

Anita - keeping my fingers crossed for your interview and I agree with "simplify", mind you, then you'll have only boring things to post in the wash, just like me LOL

Hi VAsil and Chris!!!

Lulu - glad you licked your illness, hope hubbies recouperation is shorter!

Doug - you have become a local legend!!! Congratulations!!!

Pat - many HAPPY hugs for you!! What a relief!!! What an incredibly lucky young man Jamie is!!!! I think you can truly rest in the security that he is meant to live for a long time to come!!!

Dave - saw your lovely photos in yesterday's wash and that reminds me

Pam - What a trip!! How wonderful that hubby has found his roots and the photos are lovely!!!!

Lyn - no full moon LOL Hope you had a deep and restful sleep.

JT - I am like Sylvia - deep sleep, too deep to remember my dreams, except once in a while there is one powerful enough to break through and it does influence awake times for the following few days

Sylvia - wonderful family!!!!! Has Atticus ever grown, WOW!!!

Bob - sending white light for your mother!! It's amazing how we immediately feel guilt for EVERYTHING that goes wrong, I think it is a human trait.

Waving to JoAnne!!!

I have no idea what I'll do today - cleaning might be an idea :eek: :D

Sending good thoughts to one and all and :wave: greetings!
Uschi

Johnnie
10-05-2004, 08:56 AM
HI to everyone

Not much new here .. Its 5Cel here rather chilly.. Was out on my scooter to coffee shop.. Getting to where I have to get some gloves and long johns soon if I am going to continue travelling around on that thing.. Wont be in the snow tho.. They dont go to far on that white stuff. ;)

Nice blue sky and sunny here right now..

Have a good day all.

Johnnie

Roun2it
10-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Well some good news at last, well from me at least..........just taken my big bandage off.........yipppppeeeeeee!!!!!

The tubigrip thing is much much better, I can move around with comparitive ease and I get to wear long trousers............ days of wearing shorts in this weather has been cold to say the least............I'm now free to exercise, but not allowed to drive yet, so it's the old 2..3..up..2..3..down and again. Maybe I can do enough of these to make me sleep tonight.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful messages.

Boy the winds really getting up now, must be the tail end of Jeane.

Schhhh!! can you keep a secret...............Strange and suspicious things are afoot in the Brogan household, you know Pat has been up early two, and I'll repeat TWO mornings on the trot. Now I do feel sorry for Jamie, not only has he been saddled with Pat for his Mum, but now she has been sending him out test driving the get away car.........on what do I base my suspicions.........Well.......

......You see watching the news there has been a heist here in the Greater Manchester area, just near where Pat lives, they tied up three security guards, and drove away with three trailers full of goods.

And guess what was stolen.

\
\
\
\
\
Not yet
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
OK Then
\\
\\
\\
£1,000,000 worth of Cadbury's Chocolate Bars............I rest my case....... :evil: :wink2: (Sorry Jamie, hope your feeling much better toady)

Uhmhum........got a spare Crunchie there Pat?

JudyL
10-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Happy Tuesday (or 'chewsdy' as a yorkish friend has taught us)
Material for the bathroom renovations arrived today, with just a little glitch, no toilets. Talked to the designer and she is on the case. Jack refused to pay the 150 GBP for the mahogany toilet seats, so we will get them later. I can see we will have to go to Homebase for supplies, or maybe I can get Jack to drive to York so we can go to B&Q.
The wind has littered pine straw everywhere, but I think we should leave it till the wind is done.
I made a large pot of sauce for Spanish omelettes, so guess that will be supper tonite. Either that or hamburers with the red sauce on it.
Will go an lurk for awhile, hope everyone's hurts and owies are better soon.
BBL
JudyL

Starsprite
10-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Good morning Drookionians! :D

Wow...another really long Wash by the time I wake up again!!!! Would you people ever go to sleep? Oh I know you try.....maybe some hot chocolate or whiskey may help. :D

Kev, sorry to hear about your friend Mags. I have had my share of relatives with cancer (in husband's family). I know how hard it is to see them go through it.

Bob, sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she gets better. Take care and try not to feel guilty.... no reason to.

Kev, you are a real corker!!!!! I can just see Pat hijacking a Cadbury's chocolate bar truck!!! :D Pat.....ummmm did you say you tried to start your son's car this morning to take the spare key to someone??? Not the car in the wreck I hope??? Doesn't look like it would go an inch forward to me.

Hello and :wave: :wave: to everyone else...gotta get to work, running late!!!

Adios!

Hayward
10-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Morning all..
Kev your a riot...Pat's heist) lol, your good cheer and loving concern will be a comfort to your friends as it is to all of us.

{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}} to all - ill or not we all need a hug.

Christie who wants to grow up? not me.......lol

Hope Jamie is feeling ok this morning and not worse after everything has settled.

Kev get busy - SandBox is gearing up.

33º here this morning - frost covering the roofs and grasses....this transitional seasonal change sometimes makes me long for home (So Calif).
I like it here in WI but do miss my kids. So I sorta know what your going through Bob - but life goes on no matter where we are.....timming sucks tho.

WE must do something about you sleepless people.....hummmmm, will have to give it some thought. Maybe some type of meditation?? It's important to get some good sleep and back on schedule..

Have a Great day,
Jo

CharM
10-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Good morning Washonians... I awoke this morning thinking it was Wednesday... that's going to make for a long week if I keep adding extra days... :(

We had a heavy frost in SW Ontario this morning... When the sun rose, it was glinting through the mist on the lake and making crystal prisms of the frost on the ground... It looked like a fairyland in my back yard...

Kev... words are insufficient to express the sorrow and worry that your friends are experiencing just now... it's easy to understand why you're losing sleep... respecting your need for privacy, please know that all of you are in my prayers... So glad that you've become just a tad more mobile... *smiling* about the choccy perpetrator(s)...

Christie... if you were to finally give in and go to bed for some much needed rest, I think you'll find that you'll mend much quicker... The body heals while resting... You'll agree that it would be much better for your family to do without your ministrations for a day or two, rather than a month or two... Pneumonia is nothing to fool with, especially in relapse...

Hi Anita... I suspect that you're taking some positives steps and that *Life Coach* is at work behind the scenes... intuitively... You certainly get my vote for simplying life!!!

Chris... I don't know how you manage to stay up so late (Timmy's aside) and get up so early... and you're chipper to boot!!! :D

:wave: Vasil

When my eldest son still lived in Chatham, he used to pick me up for coffee or lunch now and again... He's been living on the West Coast for 10 years, and I REALLY miss those fleeting moments... Enjoy yourself with Michael, Lulu!!! (I love that name, btw)

Doug, I'm sure you feel honoured that the Council wanted to commission your talent... congrats!

When it rains, it pours... Pat, hopefully that's the last of your bad luck string...

Lyn-sis... have you got your days and nights mixed up again??? :D

Woo hoo! JT... your design will be phenomenal...

Wow, Syl... Atticus is starting to look like a BOY (as opposed to a baby)... my gosh your grandkids are growing fast... Thanks for sharing your wonderful pics! Great camera, eh??

Bob, white light beaming to your Mom as I type this... Mothers know that it's their job to teach their youngsters to flee the nest... We wouldn't be very good at our jobs if we kept everyone home, safe and sound under our protective wings... She knows that you love and care about her... Your pangs of guilt are the result of the very excellent job she's done!!!! (((hugs))) to you too!

Hi JoAnn... have fun at Painting Group this morning... wish you'd post more of your stuff, though...

:wave: Uschi and Johnnie!!!!

Judy... don't you just hate the disruption that renovations cause?? It's always so nice when everything is finished, but it seems like the whole house turns into one giant midden for the duration...

:wave: Starsprite and Jo!!

I have a meeting in a few minutes with our wonderful HR folks... You have to be careful what you ask for... I requested that they review the grade levels of my staff, intending to raise them another level... HR has, indeed, reviewed the job descriptions... and has decided to LOWER my people's grades... I'm off to do battle...

I hope everyone has a happy and creative day... white light and hugs sent to all in need...

pampe
10-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Tuesday Tidbits

((Kev)) if you need one of us to get you the book here and mail it...let me know...ALSO "REMARKABLE RECOVERIES" is one I always refere my patients to....will keep them in my prayers

((Pat))....whoa!

Christie...sorry, I didn't know about the pneumonia...((HUG))

Anita...I agree...and your 40s are WHEN you get to figure that out!!simplify....get a piece of paper and WRITE DOWN all the STUFF.....then.....as if you were moving or dying./...cross off one thing at a time that you have to get rid of........when you have three left...THOSE are your priorities ((hug))

((BOB))will hold your MOm in my prayers!!

cool morning here...Hap played golf yesterday...it was a GORGEOUS 74 degress....I stayed home and napped away my cold, I hope :confused:

Today, I will try to re-aquaint myself with my studio

Love and light to you all

Pam

PS...today's allotment of travel:

artmom
10-05-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm awake again! Slept from 5:30 until 9:00. Had to get up--housekeepers are coming for their bi-weekly visit!! I'll have a nap after they leave. :D

:wave: to all who have posted since I went to bed! Read all the posts with great interest. :cool:

Cute pics, Sylvia. Atticus has really grown.

(((Bob))), no guilt, please--life just happens. Hang in there. Yes, maybe we could plan a Saturday meeting at Cheap Joe's Art Supplies in Boone, North Carolina. That should be about halfway between us. I have a cousin that lives near Raleigh, though. Maybe she would put Erin and me up for a couple of nights. Raleigh has a really big art show in the Spring sometime.

Johnnie, bundle up good and keep rolling for as long as you can!

I still don't know what I want to be, Christie, and I'll be 65 in December! :rolleyes:

Uschi, just think--your life is much more interesting than mine! :eek: LOL

Well, it's almost time for elevenses--I'll catch up w/everyone later.

Lyn

ScarletLake
10-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone

Just got home from Dr. visit for my left shoulder. Tendonitis/muscle strain. Wants me to take Flexeril just for a while. Off work today. May go back tomorrow.

It's just as well because I will be home to go to bed at a decent hour & then have my interview tomorrow at 8 am.

Kev - No feelings hurt here at all. I understand. I sure hope that there is something to make things better for them. It makes my heart ache for them.
Oh glad that your knee is better.

Sylvia - I couldn't believe that your grandson had grown so much. Have I really been on WC that long. A nice looking family.

Pam - Thanks. How are things going with the Montana get together. I didn't vote in the poll. Would love to come but it will all depend on $$$$, jobs, kids.
Another book I have read is When Bad Thing Happen to Good People.
Hey, I love the photos. I could just wish myself into one right now. The inside of that cathedral is something.

Christie & LULU - Feel better

Doug - Congratulations

Bob - Sorry about your mom. See that's why we need a crystal ball. Life is very ironic. Hoping that she is doing better. Did a job transfer bring you to NC. How do you like NC?

Well off to do some laundry & get things ready for interview tomorrow.

Anita

Flattwo
10-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Hello Fellow Drookits

I'm sorry to here about the illness's etc, it can be tough!

I'm glad to get back indoors and sit on my Bahookie (rear end) for a while after a mammoth trip to our local shopping Mall

We stumbled into one of my sisters there, she was telling us that my nieces, school restuarant worker won the jackpot on the Lottery...£5.3 million, thats around $10 million :eek: I think she will be retiring now. My other sister won a few weeks ago as well!...just in the thousands though, I hope its my turn next :D the most I have won is £10

As they say..money does not make you happy, but it eases the misery!

Flattwo

Johnnie
10-05-2004, 01:27 PM
As they say..money does not make you happy, but it eases the misery!

Flattwo

We in Canada have a saying about that...

Money does not buy good health or happiness..

I just puts you in a better place too look for it. !! :wink2:

And how true it is..

Johnnie

amaze_1101
10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
Jumping up and down here. :clap: The new fridge arrives today. YIPPPEEEEEE!!! Now I don't have to keep running to the garage (there's a small fridge in there for the beer! :D ) to fetch the milk and butter! I realise how much I have taken electrical appliances for granted now.

Hi to all the washers :wave: And a special one to Pat's Jamie... (pssstt hey kiddo tossa couple of those chocolate bars this way! ;) )

I'm looking forward to work today. I have this big job to do. Painting a huge bunch of carnations on a stone. There's room for lots of shading and highlighting so it will look wonderful when finished. I doooo love my work!
(For those who don't know, I am a 'Letter cutter' and do lettering and artwork on tombstones. A very interesting and varied job, working with a bunch of crazy funny people. :D )

Must go get dressed or I'll be late..... :wave:

Ottersong
10-05-2004, 01:58 PM
ZZZZIP Sharon, have you told your DR. about this sleep problem? Sounds like sleep apnea to me, I had it for years but went to the sleep lab and now have a c-pap machine and sleep fine most of the time now. ZIIIIIP

Otter

Roun2it
10-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Dave and Pam, thanks for the help and offers of help in trying to locate the book, Anatomy of an Illness. I had searched on Amazon and Google but only found the book secondhand, and in the States.

Now one of the other sites I went into, they had a link to Amazon I just pressed it and found the book, new, 10 were available and Amazon was the supplier..........How odd. Anyway ordered the book and will take it over to Yorkshire next time we go.

Thanks again for the offers, you lot are wonderful.

Ottersong
10-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Volcanoes Pack An Awesome Arsenal Of Natural Weapons

October 3, 2004

By KOMO Staff & News Services

Tools
Email This Story
Printer-friendly Version

SEATTLE - The boiling magma rumbling and rising within Mount St. Helens isn't the only thing scientists fear. When large volcanoes erupt they can unleash an awesome arsenal of natural weapons, devastating communities and landscapes even hundreds of miles from the blast.

First, there's the gritty, glassy ash that travels for miles. That's what scientists consider to be the main hazard from Mount St. Helens during the current volcano alert.

But bigger volcano blasts can produce more frightening scenarios: high-speed mudslides caused by a rush of water carrying house-sized boulders and intensely hot clouds of rock fragments and lava.

You think the hurricanes in Florida have been vicious? Don't try boarding up your windows and riding out a pyroclastic flow, a lahar or a tephra blizzard - the technical names for all those hazards, which are among Earth's most powerful forces.

In the mountain's historic 1980 eruption, they combined to turn a swath of the Pacific Northwest into a moonscape, killing 57 people.

Scientists believe Mount St. Helens is ready to erupt again, although perhaps not with the kind of power seen when the mountain literally blew its top.

"There is a wide range of explosivity," said geologist Willie Scott of the U.S. Geological Survey. "It's that uncertainty that makes us cautious."

But it's more than molten rock that makes a volcano dangerous. It's the dissolved carbon dioxide and other gases in the magma. Fresh, foaming magma contains more gas than old magma. Even the water dissolved in magma expands violently when it reaches the surface and hits the air.

Scott compared it to shaking a can of soda pop.

"If the gas content is high, the explosivity is greater," he said.

Sometimes gases vent from the magma even without an eruption. Leaking carbon dioxide can silently kill trees, or people who venture too close. Sulfur dioxide creates smoggy air pollution that contributes to respiratory disease and generates acid rain that kills forests and aquatic life.

The most likely and widespread danger from any volcano is ash. Initially, ash is blasted 60,000 feet into the atmosphere. Then winds carry it for dozens or even hundreds of miles.

Volcanic ash is not the product of combustion like the fluffy ash from a wood stove or charcoal barbecue. Gritty and abrasive, it is made up of tiny fragments of rock, natural glass and minerals that get pulverized by earthquakes and internal explosions.

In its 1980 eruption, Mount St. Helens belched some 500 million tons of ash over surrounding states, where it fell like a gray, minerally snowfall. It caused most of the $1 billion in property damage attributed to the eruption.

The plume can choke the engines of passing aircraft. Ash can clog and wreck machinery, electronics, cars, air conditioners, furnaces and irrigation systems. Dry ash can collapse roofs and scratch windows. Large clouds disrupt telecommunications signals.

Ash poses real health risks, especially to children, the elderly, people with chronic respiratory illnesses, as well as wildlife and pets. It settles on the leaves of plants, preventing photosynthesis.

In this current explosive phase, researchers expect Mount St. Helens to generate less ash than in 1980. So far, it has sprinkled ash on nearby Vancouver, Wash., and other downwind communities.

"We could see an explosion that throws up a column for an hour or so," Scott said.

Other volcanic forces are deadlier still.

Tephra is a catchall term for fragments of volcanic rock and lava thrown airborne. Some tephra is nearly four feet wide, but most of it is gravel that behaves like shrapnel and shreds whatever is in its path.

A lahar is a catastrophic slurry of water and rock fragments that rushes down the volcano's tall, steep slopes. It looks like wet concrete and can carry house-sized boulders, trees, even bridges. It follows river valleys, often growing and gaining speed as it consumes the water in the channel.

In the 1980 eruption, lahars swept downhill on three sides of the mountain at 70 mph. They left mudflows up to 30 feet deep extending for dozens of miles.

A volcano's other doomsday weapon is a pyroclastic flow. At the bottom of the flow is a layer of coarse rock fragments that burst forth like a shotgun blast. It hugs the ground, splintering entire forests like toothpicks and exploding buildings. The top layer is a turbulent ash cloud.

A pyroclastic cloud is fast - 50-100 mph. What's worse, it's hot - up to 1,500 degrees. It destroys everything in its path like a boiling hurricane.

In 1980, Mount St. Helens directed a blast of hot material that reached 300 mph. A "seared zone" of timber extended for 17 miles.

This time around, scientists don't expect the mountain to generate such a show of force.

"We're not anticipating hot flow to any great distance," Scott said.

I thought that you all might be interested in this. If it stays clear we will be able to see the eruption from our house.

Hugs and white light to all, Otter

Yorky
10-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Very interesting Otter. Luckily we don't live anywhere near an active volcano.

I saw a documentary once about the danger of the collapse of the huge Yellowstone Park caldera, which would release a huge volume of magma said to be enough to cover most of the US with ash to a depth of 6 feet.

Wherever we live, however we at the mercy of natural forces, and must consider ourselves lucky to survive hurricanes, earthquakes, eruptions and tidal waves.

Doug

BobH
10-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Very interesting Otter. Luckily we don't live anywhere near an active volcano.

I saw a documentary once about the danger of the collapse of the huge Yellowstone Park caldera, which would release a huge volume of magma said to be enough to cover most of the US with ash to a depth of 6 feet.

Wherever we live, however we at the mercy of natural forces, and must consider ourselves lucky to survive hurricanes, earthquakes, eruptions and tidal waves.

Doug
I read the same thing in the book "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. He states that for years scientists studied Yellowstone wondering where the caldera was. It was obvious that the park was formed by volcanic activity but it wasn't until the advent of satellite photographs that the answer became clear. The entire park is the caldera! (caldera = a volcanic crater that has a diameter many times that of the vent and is formed by collapse of the central part of a volcano or by explosions of extraordinary violence ) The caldera is so big it is effectively invisible from the ground and has to be seen from space. If that volcano were to blow again North America would be devastated.

Amazing forces we live on top of every day.

Bryson's book is an excellent read, by the way. I highly recommend it.

Bob

pampe
10-05-2004, 03:22 PM
We moved here AFTER the last blow of ST Helens...but the folks here talk about the GRAY and the horrible dust...even this far away

AMAZING power that Mother Nature has!!! :)

Yorky
10-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Regarding coping with cancer, I am inspired by an on-line Tumour Diary (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3600716.stm) of BBC reporter Ivan Noble who is now a 2 year survivor of an aggressive brain tumour.

This is a story of the power of the human spirit to meet the severest of challenges.

Doug

JudyL
10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi again,
Sylvia, just wanted to say you have 2 very good looking grandsons. Atticus is harder to see than Dashiel, but he sure looks adorable.
Good day, got lots done, still missing two toilets.
JudyL

painterbear
10-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks Judy. Atticus is the older one, he is standing in front of his Mom in the one photo, Dashiell was only a month old when the photo was taken so he looks like a little football wrapped in a blanket. LOL! They are only 18 months apart in age. That is why God gives babies to young people! I get tired just thinking about it. ;)

As long as you've got one working toilet, you can put up with the inconvenience as you get your remodeling finished. Just hope nothing goes wrong with that one. LOL!

When we lived near Naples in Italy, we used to go to a park there that was built in the caldera of an ancient, extinct volcano. Then there was another park called The Flaming Fields because fumeroles of steam were still issuing through cracks in the ground where seismic activity was going on—this was in the heart of the town called Pozzouli (where Sophia Loren grew up). To see the results of a pyroclastic flow, you go down the coast a little ways south of Naples to the excavations of the town of Herculaneum which was buried in the same eruption that took Pompeii. The mud, etc. from the pyroclastic flow covered the city 60 to 90 ft. deep and hardened into stone, making it much harder to excavate than Pompeii, but so much more interesting to visit because it preserved some of the buildings up to several stories high and you really get the sense of the town. Anybody going to southern Italy, if you only have time to visit one of the ancient cities around Vesuvius, I recommend Herculaneum over Pompeii.

Homemade Beef Soup tonight for dinner. Temps only in the mid 60°s so it will be great. Soup is one of my favorite foods! Better than some fancy schmantzy meal most of the time.

Weaving to all who were here ahead of me. See you tomorrow,

Sylvia

Europa
10-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi Everyone

Jamie asked me to send you all this personal message:

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and wishes - I know that I am a lucky man and I am certainly counting my blessings. Kev it was good of you to think of me when you are already coping with your friends illness - please give her my love - I am keeping her in my thoughts. Thank you all again!

Jamie

Ok tis me again - you may wonder why Jamie didnt type it himself - seems not only has he bruised his chest and ribs but also his hands - mainly the left one - I asked him if it was through gripping the steering wheel - to which he did an impression of him holding the wheel with his eyes shut (hummmph no wonder he crashed...silly boy!! :rolleyes: )

Anyways - waving to everyone as there are farrr to many to reply to and I am in the middle of redoing another portrait - Sharon came round this afternoon to help me with it - and in between phone calls we managed to get it something like but am redoing it again from scratch (I will let Sharon tell you what I am like as a student - THEN I will tell you what she is like as a teacher...lol. :evil: )

I get my replacement car tomorrow - spoke to the girl at the hire place and asked could I get a Jaguar - she said no.....hummph - but I get one similar to the one I had - as mine was a Rover 620 si I asked if they had a Rover 75 - and she said she may just be able to arrange that......woohoooooo.....so here is what I may be driving for the next 10 days (we can only have 10 days hire paid for because Jamie was liable for the accident :( )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2004/29499-ro750503.jpg

Oh and Lyn - no it wont stop him getting his private hire licence = he already has that - it may affect his insurance I think though the policy is in my name and so its really me who loses my no claims bonus.. :(

As for the chocolate heist - ooooooh am crushed :crying: - do you honestly think that I would do that and NOT share it with my friends :angel: (too flaming right I would :evil: - you can take friendship so far you know :wink2: )

Talking of crunchies - hmmmmmm I wonder if that is what Kevin keeps under his kilt. :wink2: :evil:

Love and Hugs and White Light all round

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!

Pat xxx

Sharon Douglas
10-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Good evening everyone,
I`ve cried tears of laughter a few times the last few days.
First was yesterday, my mum and I went shopping and my mum bumped into somebody, as she turned around and apologized she came face to face with herself in a mirror :eek: you should have seen the look on her face.
Then she was considering buying a new bed set (same shop, I hope they had survelience cameras :evil: ), she picked one up to look closer when the rest of them fell off the shelf. As quick as she picked one up off the floor another would fall, I was laughing so hard, I had to walk off and leave her there in the middle of the shop surrounded by bedding sets. :D
You should have seen the looks I got as I wlked through the shop laughing out loud......... on my own :o

In the evening my mum was feeling down,( missing Jimmy) so she asked if she could stay here the night.
We ended up having a few drinks (I had3 1/2 pints of the cider we bought from Kington and 3 vodka and coke :eek: )
This brought a few laughs too :evil: and the good thing was I slept last night I wonder why :angel:

Today I went round to Pats, on a mercy mission to help her with a portrait.Not sure I was any help though, I cried laughing at her painting techniques.
I`ll save That story for another time :evil: I`ve got plans Pat be warned :evil:
Then to top it all, I get a message from Andy, and if any of you have looked in the gallery lately, you`ll know what I was laughing at there. :D

Kev, I read your post with sadness, I totally understand you not wanting to talk about things, take care, and please be assured that we will keep you and yours in our thoughts.
Oh BTW I was at that Pats house for over 2 hours today and she never once offered me a bar of chocolate, how much choc can one person eat? :evil:

Mary, thanks for the concern about my sleeping, but I`m hoping it was a one off, I`ll find out in an hour or so when I go to bed.....lol.

DominicM
10-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I think though the policy is in my name and so its really me who loses my no claims bonus.. :(

((Pat)) played that game last year, why dont you just borrow one of John Prescott's Jag's sure he will not miss it...

{{{{HUGS}}}}} to all who need them

12 days to holidays... wahoo....

Christie
10-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Hi, I'm back again. Can't stay away...:D

All the "nagging" about taking care of myself finally sunk in. So, I am cutting back on things a great deal.

We have guests coming over for Canadian Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday and I am NOT cooking. Actually I am having the whole thing catered for about the price it would cost me to cook. Phew! Now the running around can stop.:)

Pat, I can understand not sharing all that chocolate. In fact, I just bought decoy Halloween candy to keep my husband out of the real stuff.:D Did you know that there are four food groups (according to my husband)? Dark chocolate, white chocolate, milk chocolate and hot chocolate?:D

Children have started to come home from school, I'll check in later.

KathyJB
10-05-2004, 06:42 PM
JUst feeling back up to par after my second weekend show in a row... I dont know how the circuit show folks do it... here is pic of the painting I enter in the invitation only show... I got it there in the morning and all the tojer artist got to hang theirs but oh well:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2004/7614-fishiesatpeacefair.jpg

next one is the display and part of mom who faithfull held her Pand Jelly sandwhich most of the morning ... LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2004/7614-peacefair.jpg

thanks for looking

hello to all of you I( will try and pop in early for the next wash and catch up some,
Kat

Europa
10-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Christie - your hubby is a man after my own heart - I think I have posted this before but it's always worth posting again! :evil:

THE RULES OF CHOCOLATE

If you've got melted chocolate all over your hands, you're eating it too slowly.

Chocolate covered raisins, cherries, orange slices & strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.

The problem: How to get 2 pounds of chocolate home from the store in a hot car.
The solution is simple: Eat it in the parking lot.

Diet tip: Eat a chocolate bar before each meal.
It'll take the edge off your appetite, and you'll eat less.

If calories are an issue, store your chocolate on top of the fridge.
Calories are afraid of heights, and they will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves.

If I eat equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate, is that a balanced diet?
Don't they actually counteract each other?

Money talks. Chocolate sings. Beautifully.

Chocolate has many preservatives. Preservatives make you look younger.

Q. Why is there no such organization as Chocoholics Anonymous?
A. Because no one wants to quit.

Put "eat chocolate" at the top of your list of things to do today.
That way, at least you'll get one thing done.

A nice box of chocolates can provide your total daily intake of calories in one place. Isn't that handy?

If you can't eat all your chocolate, it will keep in the freezer. But if you can't eat all your chocolate, what's wrong with you?

Pat x

pampe
10-05-2004, 06:57 PM
*bowing to the Chocolate Bible*

jaytee
10-05-2004, 07:21 PM
I was musing on whether Dalshiell could suffer from a 'drookit bahookie ' [ I LIKE this new language Henry is teaching us :D] when I read Sylvias next post............ was this, I ask deliberate?

As long as you've got one working toilet, you can put up with the inconvenience

Then I read about Sharons shopping trip !!!

Todays wash has to be an exemplar mix of the whole of WC life ............from tears of sorrow to tears of laughter.....

long may we be here to share............

[[[[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Flattwo
10-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Hello to all

Ah weel, thats me for the nicht, am feelin a wee bit wabbit, and its gey dreicht ootside..its flinging it doon!

Guid nicht tae ye aw

Dont tattie yer bogle!

Flattwo

jaytee
10-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Hello to all

Ah weel, thats me for the nicht, am feelin a wee bit wabbit, and its gey dreicht ootside..its flinging it doon!

Guid nicht tae ye aw

Dont tattie yer bogle!

Flattwo

I [remember] ma bogle but Im gey [fooled] by wabbit 'n dreicht

'n ma wee heed [thought] tattie went wi' neeps :confused:

please supply correct lingo for [******] after youve had a good shuteye :evil:

Lia-Chan
10-05-2004, 08:22 PM
THE RULES OF CHOCOLATE

If calories are an issue, store your chocolate on top of the fridge.
Calories are afraid of heights, and they will jump out of the chocolate to protect themselves.

Pat x

Hey , I liked this one :) I was needing a good laugh . I got soo pissed today :mad: I went to class wearing a scarf on my head , folded like a band (i don't know if it's the right word), but i wore it off some time later because it was too hot , and left it on my desk , along with a bottle of coke . A girl was on the desk on the desk on the side. I went to talk with some other girls, and the coke spilled on my desk (but i don't know how). When i turn over , the girl was asking : to whom this (holding the scarf) belongs ? She used MY SCARF TO CLEAN THE SPILLED COKE! It even doesn't belong to me , it's from my mom and it's SILK! I got SO PISSED! My friend suggested me to paint her hair with yellow paint (she has a long hair). So, what you'd suggest me ?

Ah, i remembered something funny that happened earlier . I'm the person who takes care of things on my classroom (i don't know how to say it in english , but translating the words from portuguese, it would be "class representative"). So , today i was worried about a ton of stuff , and i went downstairs . I took off my glasses while i was talking with some friends , and after they went upstairs , i realized that i wasn't with my glasses . So i started to look around the building and to become desperated (i still was downstairs). A guy that was upstairs looked at me and pointed to my head. My glasses were all the time on my head and i didn't feel it :D I got so ashamed that i didn't come upstairs immediately .

Hugs :wave:

Starsprite
10-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Hello to all

Guid nicht tae ye aw

Dont tattie yer bogle!

Flattwo

Henry......TO THE OGDEN NASH THREAD WITH YOU IMMEDIATELY!!!! :D I only understood: thats me for the, am feelin a wee bit,and it's , dont.

mr sandbanx
10-05-2004, 11:05 PM
My friend suggested me to paint her hair with yellow paint (she has a long hair). So, what you'd suggest me ?

Hugs :wave:

I strongly agree painting her hair yellow is the proper thing to do. Please send pictures.

Regards,
Malty

Cathie Jones
10-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Chris!!! What if she takes you seriously and gets a black eye for her trouble?? Shame on you!! *giggles madly* http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2004/23460-smileyrotflmao.gif

Hey Patty! I understood nicht, ootside and flinging it doon - we just need two or three more people to get the other words and we can have a conversation with Henry!!! :D Pretty sure I won't tattie my bogle tonight, but you never know . . . :eek:

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night . . . XOXOXOXO

P.S. Pat, I received the crate of chocolates :wink2: Thanks!!!

Edit: Almost forgot ((((((Kev)))))). Mags is very lucky to have you for a friend.

mr sandbanx
10-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Chris!!! What if she takes you seriously and gets a black eye for her trouble?? Shame on you!! *giggles madly*

Thats why I signed malty's name....LOL.