PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Critique Request#2

Beth Myers
10-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Anonymous Critique Request

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a request for an anonymous critique.

This flameworker is experimenting with some new ideas and shapes.
Overiding theme would be poked or plunged holes.
The artist believes these need a little something to make them pop.
Our artist is looking to improve the look and expand the idea.
This artist has torch time and experience, so feel free to give it your best, most challanging advise. ;) Our artist ask for honest advise and "don't be afraid of hurting any feelings". :D

These beads are made with an ivory base rolled in raku with silver foil, and encased in clear.

Thank you all so much for giving your ideas and time to this!
Beth

Guidelines:
By posting in this thread, you are asking for a serious, structured critique of your work. By posting your work, you are agreeing to receive both positive and negative advice on your work. Some you may agree with, some you may not. No complaining or falling apart if you don’t hear what you would like to hear.
Guidelines For Critiquers:
All critiques should include some form of instructional feedback. What was done well and why, what needs improvement and why, how to make those improvements. All post should be well thought out, and in keeping with our helpful attitude. NO trashing of another’s work.
And NO KUDOS! Such as “great job, beautiful, “that’s so nice”.
Kudos post will be removed.

For Poster of Glass Art Works to be critiqued:
No links, just the photo.
Please include a description of your work, size, techinique, etc.
Keep to the facts, (we aren't here to showcase new Ebay listings, or to promote sales )

If you want to post your work anonymously pm or email a photo to me.

!ngridh
10-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Is today April 1st?

gee ...21 WC'rs have looked at this and not said anything...ok I will go...what are they made of? The colors are not my cup of tea. I am unsure of the surface. I personally can't think of what I would do with them. But then again they aren't EDP! :D

theonlyduda
10-04-2004, 11:12 PM
I like the idea. Texture is big right now and these beads certainly have that. I think the colors somehow got a little muddy. I think the idea seems more "organic" to me and some of the poked holes are rather uniform or in a pattern which seems less organic to me. I would make the pokes more random on all beads and maybe vary the size and depth. Overall I think it is a cool idea and can't wait to see where it leads you! :) My favorite is the one on the bottom right, the black and ivory one.

Beth Myers
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Guidelines For Critiquers:
"All critiques should include some form of instructional feedback. What was done well and why, what needs improvement and why, how to make those improvements. All post should be well thought out, and in keeping with our helpful attitude." :D

Geneva
10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
They look like something that has set in the bottom of the Ocean for millions of years. At first I didn't like them, than got to thinking about what they would look good in. If I bought as a consumer I would use them in a sea scene or weave them in to fiber. After thinking about it they would look really good in these mediums.
Geneva

Beth Myers
10-04-2004, 11:21 PM
I like the idea. Texture is big right now and these beads certainly have that. I think the colors somehow got a little muddy. I think the idea seems more "organic" to me and some of the poked holes are rather uniform or in a pattern which seems less organic to me. I would make the pokes more random on all beads and maybe vary the size and depth. Overall I think it is a cool idea and can't wait to see where it leads you! :) My favorite is the one on the bottom right, the black and ivory one.

I like this, you are thinking along the same lines I am. How about some color in the plunged holes, transparent but bright, and just the least little bit.
Or even black areas. Hmmmmm, I'm still thinking on this. To me, these are a great base for some killer work, not sure just where this is going to take you, but you already know ;) you just haven't brought it up to the surface yet.
You will! :D I like that they are different and pushing the edges! :clap:
Beth

MistyCherie
10-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Hmmm... I had an immediate sense of too much going on with these beads to be able to focus really well. After reading some of the comments, I can agree with the organic feeling...

My gut reaction tells me that there needs to be some contrast to show the holes more. If you were to look at a holey piece of shell, you'd see shadows where the holes are. I think our brains tell us these beads are un-natural because they lack a real shadowy feeling. Perhaps, as someone said, black on the bottom of the hole and then poke, or a transparent color...maybe a root beer or something similar to what you're using--but dark enough to produce that shadow. *or* don't fill in the hole. Make the holes uneven? I can see there is a mix of colors you are using, all pretty much earthy--but they seem to be mixed too well. Maybe make the colors a little more splotchy and uneven as well?

Hope I didn't offend... that was just my first reactions...

margaretz
10-05-2004, 12:14 AM
I see where the artist would like to go on these... and this idea has the potential to be really cool... I think the artist should consider the following:

- The focal in this set seems incongruous to the other beads because the bubble plunges are in a geometric pattern in the focal while the plunges in the accent beads are more random, much more organic. I think the overall look would improve by making the focal match the accent beads more closely (perhaps just a larger version- in same shape/ plunging scheme).

- I think there's a little too much enamel/ powder in these beads, so the colors end up looking a little washed out... Stick with fewer colors and less enamel... Perhaps put dark, solid color, dots underneath the plunges. THis might help them pop... You could also consider putting a resist over the plunges and etching the rest... that might provide a nice contrast, the bubbles catching bright light, while the rest of the enameled area is matte and very organic-looking.

- Misty (hi Misty!) also touched on an interesting point- perhaps leaving the bubbles out- leave the holes open... You could make the beads in a solid color, poke holes, then put on enamel... That way the enamel would pool in the holes and create contrast in a different way than in the previous suggestion...

Hope these help you!

Beth Myers
10-05-2004, 12:40 AM
You guys are becoming very very good at this, thank you!!! :clap:
Beth

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
10-05-2004, 12:59 AM
These would be cool, as is, for a beach-inspired piece, which I think someone else said too. I like the organic shapes with the wide plunges and some bubbles.

Since I like the shapes as they are, I would say work with the color. I like the rounded shapes better than the focal, myself. They look like meteors to me.

The silver and raku both give sandy, tan effects so I think they're just blending together and neither is grabbing the eye. It does looke like there's some very cool color stuff going on though and I'm not sure how that was achieved. Can you push that to the front a little more?

Another idea would be to have just areas of what you're doing on a solid background for contrast. Say, have a solid background and then a thick band of what you've got going on now around the middle of the bead then plunge away at it.

You know, it's really hard to critique something without turning it into my own style!

Ok, another idea....where the plunges are, use a starburst murinni, like the and plunge them. It would look like lines going down into the hole. Or a ring of dots and plunge deep in the middle like if you were going to do a flower but don't melt flat.

And I'm stopping now. I should be out there working on my own ideas! I think it would be fun to guess whose they are too! ;)

Trishki
10-05-2004, 03:56 AM
I like the texture and the shapes, but the colors lack contrast. What about putting a few (random) transparent colors in the holes, kind of like what Beth said. Use 2-3 colors per bead, but only one dot of each color, and keep the rest of the holes covered with clear.
Also might look good with whisper thin trails of contrasting color randomly applied over the bead (kind of what Tink does freqently on her blown vessels)

They sort of remind me of cratered moons....

If you want to keep the beads as they are, I think I would make a nice set with more like colors. (Some were more beige, and some more blue- I would separate them, and make more of each type) Then try to pick a color that appears in each of the sets (like a speck of green or blue) and make encased etched whiteheart spacers of that matching transparent.

Or, pull thin colored (pick a matching one, or a completely contrasting one) transparent 1mm stringer and put a few random dotted trails on the beads here and there, kind of like droplets of water.

Norma623
10-05-2004, 06:57 AM
I agree with everything so far - but I think I would critique differently if I knew how big the beads were. If these are large (over 1/2 inch let's say) - I am inclined to agree with everything that has been said so far - a bit more contrast in the beads themselves, a little more "random" quality to them. On the other hand - if these beads are smaller (under 1/2 inch) - then I think more detail or contrast on them may make them too busy. I would make more of the same style, but in contrasting colors.....

Suz01
10-05-2004, 07:48 AM
I would suggest that they need a little more contrast, colour wise. perhaps a hint of black, or a black background showing through, or maybe small flashes of a brighter colour, like a strip of opal in a stone. I think the texture works very well - a very natural, organic look. i like the suggestion someone made of experimenting with etching.

looking forward to seeing where these end up,
Suzanne

Cindy D.
10-05-2004, 07:55 AM
I like the fact that you've gone 'outside-the-box- to work on a unique look/shape. Sometimes I think we become a little too obsessed with what a bead is 'supposed' to look like and miss opportunities to 'do' different!

I think that you could use these beads in a couple of ways - based on some of the feedback given. Some commented that they reminded them of the beach... if you play up on this you might want to consider adding a little 'sand' dusted over some of the surface (like the 'sugar' beads I've seen). Not coating the whole bead, just in drifts. You could also then vary the shades of colours used to strengthen the link to the beach and ocean.

I agree that I wouldn't necessarily put a dot of clear in every hole - just some - as though those holes are still 'occupied' by some kind of sea life while the others were abandoned (and therefore may have a deeper or darker 'tone' in the base of the hole.

I also liked the theme of thinking of them as meteors - which could take you in a slightly different direction with colour tones and surface treatment - you could introduce some 'molten' looking spots in the holes etc.

gwacie
10-05-2004, 09:43 AM
Ok, just a warning of where my limited mental facilities are today, my VERY first thought was 'ew, I don't think those would taste good'. Don't ask. I KNOW we are not supposed to eat our beads.

Haven't read all the critiques yet - will do that after...

First - regarding the encasing - perhaps it is more obvious in person but to me these scream for more depth if you are gonna encase them. Plus, I'm not sure I want them shiny. I think etched might be even nicer, givng a more rock like organic feel perhaps. It would be easier to evaluate that in person though.

Second - I'd suggest more contrast for more interest. Staring at the photos there are some things going on that I like very much. The two beads on either side of the center focal and the bead on the right end, for example, seem to have better depth/contrast. Since you don't appear to be going for a very neutral monochromatic look, more contrast on the other beads seems warranted. They seem a bit blah/lost to me compared to the ones I mentioned.

Third - Shape - I'm ok with the irregular nature of these. In fact, they grow on me the longer I look at them. I can see them in the right piece. However, I don't think your focal goes with your spacers. I could see a set of all shaped like the focal or graduated spacers (not that they are 'spacers' but using for id purposes). Or at the least have 3 of the flat disk focal shapes rather than just one. They don't quite 'go' together for me. If you have to pick a shape, I'd pick the rounder one - I like the crater effect best on those.

Thanks for sharing and good luck!-

Edited- just realized you encased to get poked holes......duh. Hmmm. either bigger bubbles/holes or line them with a lighter color - on my monitor I can barely get that effect. OH or what if you etch everywhere the holes are not and instead of encasing it all, just dot clear over the holes for your bubbles. they'll really pop out then.

dogmaw
10-05-2004, 06:12 PM
The first thing I want to do when I look at those beads is pick them up and touch them. I'd rather have empty craters instead of bubble filled ones, just because I like to play with my beads. :) I also agree with the people who say it needs some punch. I like the look of texture, but they seem sort of bland. Maybe a little intense black?

Jo

JHDesigns
10-05-2004, 08:28 PM
The first thing I want to do when I look at those beads is pick them up and touch them. I'd rather have empty craters instead of bubble filled ones

Me too, empty craters and then etch the heck out of em. Maybe even throw them in a tumbler to see what effect that might have.

Jami

Cyndilee
10-06-2004, 08:49 PM
At first glance these reminded me a bit of volcanic rock though the wrong color- the center one reminds me of honeycomb cereal! I agree they would look good etched. The bumpy yet still shiny surface, to me, don't seem to work well together. If I were to play with something similar in style I would probably do a very contrasting base/core and outer color (light inner/dark outer or vice versa) and leave the plunged holes unfilled. Or even a transparent red core with a reduction color outside then plunged. That would lend a more volcanic look to it. I think also they'd especially look good if made to imitate the color and look of ocean coral. It would be even neater if some of the holes could go all the way through. Hopefully you will post any further experiments- they'll be fun to see!

Cyndi

bonnybeads
10-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi! I'm fairly new at lampworking so not an experienced eye yet... my first reaction is that I really like the shape but am not so crazy about the color. Maybe something more along the lines of solids or colors that aren't mixed so much?

Very neat idea with the shapes!

Bonnie