PDA

View Full Version : A Special Invitation from your Oil Pastel Society!

Dyin
10-04-2004, 08:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2004/19147-opsgraphic4_OPS.jpg
The Oil Pastel Society was formed on September 1, 2004, as a non-profit
organization to promote the knowledge and understanding of oil pastel as a
fine art medium, and to expand the awareness of oil pastel to other artists,
galleries, the media, and the general public.

We hope that you will visit our site and see all the exciting information we have on membership benefits, including:

-newsletter, featuring news about member artists, tips and techniques
-upcoming competitions
-oil pastel workshops
-featured Artist of the Month

Your membership will be free until January 2005, and we are confident that you will want to join us in the active promotion of oil pastel as a fine art medium and receive these OPS member benefits:

-gallery space on the OPS site with a brief bio and 5 images of your work
-links to your website
-the opportunity to achieve Signature membership

We are working in conjunction with major oil pastel manufacturers towards a goal of sponsoring future competitions, and will be using an aggressive marketing strategy to promote oil pastel features in major art publications.

The Oil Pastel Society was formed to represent you, the artist, as an oil pastelist and will welcome all input from our members to make this a viable tool for your success! The website for the Oil Pastel Society is:

Oil Pastel Society (http://www.oilpastelsociety.com)

Please bookmark for future reference.

'Friends of OPS' are welcome to join also, we welcome your support in our efforts.

All the information for "how to join" can be found on our Membership Page. We hope to hear from you soon!

CarlyHardy
10-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Sue,
the invitation looks beautiful!! I don't see how anyone can say no!! Thanks for posting this and getting the ball rolling for all the folks in the WC OP Studio!!

carly

Kathryn Wilson
10-04-2004, 09:22 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beautiful invitation Sue!

Dyin
10-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey special thanks to everyone that worked so hard to make this come together and for all the wonderful advice we got from all the OP forum members! :clap:

Sure hoping we'll see you all as members soon!

gr8pets
10-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Very cool! Is there any way to make the domain name field accept more characters? I couldn't include mine, so I left that part out.

Thanks!

Christi

BeckyMc
10-04-2004, 10:05 PM
I just changed it to 60 characters wide. Let me know if there's anything else. You'll need to refresh your page, before you re-try.

eileenclaire
10-04-2004, 10:15 PM
:clap: :clap: At last! A society all our own! :clap: :clap:

evildad
10-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Wow, you guys work quick!

Ead
10-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Nice and convincing invitation indeed.
The website is great too. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for all your hard working to make this happen in this short period of time.

Dyin
10-04-2004, 10:44 PM
So glad you all like it! We appreciate any and all input...we're YOUR voice!

hamsterdance
10-04-2004, 11:30 PM
*handsprings*

I will most definitely be joining this. Thank you. :clap:

Dyin
10-04-2004, 11:35 PM
oooh, an oil pastel gymnast! :p We'd love to have you and thank you...it really is all about you OP artists :D

naturegirl
10-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Beautiful website! I'm so happy the Society is official, and I'm so grateful to everyone for making it happen. I was so excited, I signed up as a member about 30 seconds after I read about it!

Jen

SweetBabyJ
10-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Congratulations!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dyin
10-05-2004, 12:06 AM
We got your app, Jen! Thanks for supporting OPs!! :clap:

Thanks Julie! You're the most supportive softie I know :)

SweetBabyJ
10-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Well, I use Palmolive, you know.... :D

majestaero
10-05-2004, 12:47 AM
I just got the email invite and checked out the site...well done, guys! Here's to a large surge in memebership! :p Feel bad because I missed out on all the discussions after the initial stuff, way back when! :rolleyes: ....but such is my life at the moment!

Thanks for the free remainder of '04, too, or else I'd have to wait to join! :(

Too late to do it tonight, so if my brain holds together I'll get to it tomorrow! :D :D

Linda

anney
10-05-2004, 03:01 AM
:clap: the website is great. Thank you so much!

Anne

HelgaP
10-05-2004, 03:40 AM
Wow, this is so well done Sue (and gang) I've sent my query off already, hope to receive my application soon! The progress we've made individually and as a group over this year has been absolutely awe-inspiring.

Helg's

Catkin
10-05-2004, 04:59 AM
Great website - have filled in my application
Sharon :cat:

steven
10-05-2004, 06:05 AM
:cool: Looks very colourful!

Just fired off my aplication form :wave: :D

ColorMyWorld
10-05-2004, 06:47 AM
Wow, I don't check the forum before going to sleep and miss all the excitement!!!

The site is great :clap: :clap: :clap:
I can't believe how fast you guys worked. Thanks for all your effort.

I just dashed off my application.

I'm already eyeing those workshops. Novemeber is too soon for me but maybe Jan or Feb, Hmmm...
So nice to have one place to look for info.

Pat Isaac
10-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Looks absolutely wonderful Sue. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Pat

Dyin
10-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Wow...what great response! I'm mountain time, so I get up a bit later than most of you, but you should all have your response by now :) Let us know if you have any questions! And thanks for your support!

hamsterdance
10-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Well I sent in my app. I, Dana Fletcher, aka hamsterdance will do whatever I can to support this OP Society. I hope it helps give OPs a higher profile among the public so we aren't always the red-headed stepchild of the pastel world. :D

CarlyHardy
10-05-2004, 03:45 PM
One thing that everyone can do is to begin to promote the society by....

letting everyone know about the website and that the society is active!!

put the web url into your signature line here at WC. The more times it's linked from somewhere on the net, the more exposure we get.

put the web url on your own correspondence emails,

and share your love of oil pastels with everyone!!

carly

sundiver
10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Looks fantastic! I'll get my application in a.s.a.p.

Dyin
10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
We appreciate your support Dana! Hope you are all getting your welcoming letters and don't forget to get in your photos and short bios for your galleries. If you don't have a digi or scanner you can send that stuff in when you can but your names will go on the member list :)
We're also interested in any member news, like placing in shows or workshops you may be giving, so be sure and notify newsletter if you have something to be proud of or of interest to other members.
We've had response from some OP artist websites we contacted too, so we're hoping that we may also soon have some new members on the OP forum! :clap:

Dyin
10-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Carly...thanks for the reminder! Been caught up in paperwork and forgot :rolleyes:
Wendy...so glad you'll be joining us!!!

Pat Isaac
10-05-2004, 04:48 PM
It's great so many are joing us, and tell others like Carly and Sue said.

Thanks for the reminder Carly. I will do that posthaste.

Pat

hamsterdance
10-05-2004, 07:41 PM
I am getting tired of waiting for a digi camera. I'm thinking of getting a scanner while saving for the digi. Scanners are certainly cheaper. Also, I just found out a simple 600 dpi scan is equivalent to an 8.1 megapixel camera.

Dyin
10-05-2004, 07:49 PM
hey, Dana, like your new link! :D
Scanners are a heck of a lot cheaper. I have an all in one Lexmark, not thrilled with it but had a Canon for $99 that took smashing scans! Just remember to reduce the pixels for posting here to 500 wide by 600 high or less, can't wait to finally seeee!!!
And how fun will it be to get a gallery up on the OPS site! :clap:

Pat Isaac
10-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Dana, scanners work just fine and they are cheaper. I have used one for a lot of years and still use it. Try it, you'll like it.

Pat

Ead
10-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Sue,

I've registered. I think you can guess who since it would be only one from Thailand. Yes, that's all my l-o-n-g full name. Whew, it's much better to know me just 'Ead', isn't it? I also add the link to my signature as Carly's suggestion.

However, I wonder how can I pay for the fee since Paypal doesn't include my country and buying a bank draft is difficult here because of strict regulation in foreign money transferred. How about credit card? :confused:

Dyin
10-05-2004, 11:00 PM
lol Ead...I just came to see if I could figure out if that was you! Write to
[email protected] and she'll help you through the process. You won't have to worry about it until January. And thanks for joining! :clap:

Dyin
10-05-2004, 11:23 PM
There is a thread just like this in Pastel Talk and we're getting lots of supporting comments from our friends in the Soft Pastel forum...in case you all wanted to say thanks to them!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=220669

prestonsega
10-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Hw exciting is this?? huh??? :clap:

hamsterdance
10-06-2004, 12:04 AM
So Canon is a good scanner brand? I have a Canon printer and it seems to work pretty well for me. Guess I'll have to get one with my next paycheck.

I sure could use advice from other OPers. I've set aside the clownfish pic I'd been working on - got too frustrated with it. The more I tried to work on the shadows the more I just succeeded in making mud. Also, the light source seems inconsistent.

I've tried scraping some of the OP off back to the pastelboard with a bit of success but don't know what to do to correct everything. :(

I hope the OPS has some online how-to's (in addition to what's already here in the WC archives). I've got a long way to go before I'm as good as much of the OP art I've seen posted here.

Dyin
10-06-2004, 12:05 AM
mmmm....as exciting as winning the lottery??? :p i don't know, Preston...it's pretty durn exciting to see a whole group of people with a common interest turn a dream into reality!

Dyin
10-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Dana, It's a good fairly cheap brand...mine cost $99 a while back...Epson might have a good one too.
I'm sorry you're getting frustrated with the clownfish. It will be good when you can post and we can see how to help. Why don't you start a new thread so we can talk about it more even if you don't have a pic yet? We've all had problems when the OPS were new and probably can help quite a bit.

The OPS will have Tips and Techniques each month in the Newsletter and we'll certainly consider what all of you, as members, want to see...so send your suggestions to [email protected] and let us know.
And once you get the feel and hang of how to use the OPs effectively you'll be surprised at how fast you learn!

HelgaP
10-06-2004, 03:17 AM
Sue, just a quick thanks for my addition to the Oil Pastel Society website. Such a speedy turnaround, you guys are really on the ball. Well done, your efforts are much appreciated.

Helg's

Pat Isaac
10-06-2004, 08:14 AM
Dana, Epson does have a good scanner out there as does HP. I have an HP and have been very happy with it. It does what I want.
As for scraping OPs, we have all been there. I found that it is best to let it sit awhile, a day even, before trying to work over the scraped area. It covers better.

Hope to see some of your work soon.

Pat

Dyin
10-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Helga, so happy that you are happy. We really want things to be interactive with our members, with quick response time. If you all read the About OPS page you'll see who's been working so hard behind the scenes...a HUGE round of applause to all of these dedicated volunteers... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
10-06-2004, 10:43 AM
When I got home last night, I couldn't believe the huge response this is getting - but it is well deserved. All these folks worked really, really hard to bring this about. :clap: :clap: :clap:

scoy
10-06-2004, 11:23 AM
This is very cool! I just put in my application. I didn't realize that oil pastels didn't have a large following until recently; they're so much fun!! :confused: If there's anything I can do, let me know.

Dyin
10-06-2004, 11:36 AM
This is very cool! I just put in my application. I didn't realize that oil pastels didn't have a large following until recently; they're so much fun!! :confused: If there's anything I can do, let me know.

thanks for joining in! Since the OPS is non-profit and completely volunteer based, any member wishing to help should send an email to [email protected] It will surely be appreciated!
Also keep an eye out for any oil pastel based news...let us know if you win any awards, if you are giving or hear of any classes or want to share some tips or techniques...you can send those bits of info to [email protected]
Most of all we need you to be active members, let us know how you feel, what will help promote oil pastels as a fine art medium and share your art with others so they can learn more. :)

majestaero
10-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Well, all this excitement has finally jarred my brain enough to get me to think I'd better put a post about the new Society on the EAG (Equine Art Guild) forums for any OPers that might be lurking there! I know there are other equine artists who use them, I've seen them advertise, but no one that speaks up talks about them! :crying: So lonely! :crying: :p :p

I've been all wrapped up in working on one of my OP commissions...is that a good excuse for not joining yet? :p Oh yeah, that and the fact that I can't send email!! :mad: I'm supposed to be working on that portrait now...but this is work-related, right?? Better go take care of it, eh?? :D

Linda

greenpearl
10-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Fantastic! Congratulations Sue and everyone else who brought this about. :clap: How exciting to start a brand new society. Will try to apply as soon as I get settled into the new place. :)

Dyin
10-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Hey Linda, Monica...glad you'll be joining in on the fun! Hope the move is going well, Monica. Linda...sure hope you get your mail to work soon, can't wait to see the commish!

cjkelly
10-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Congratulations to all the hard and dedicated workers who got the society up and running so efficiently. The site is very professional and you all deserve a pat on the back! :clap: I am proud to be a member and hope to contribute in an active and positive way.

In the mean time, I have something to strive for - 5 works to put in the gallery! :eek:

cj

Dyin
10-06-2004, 11:13 PM
cj...you'll have no problem at all coming up with 5 lovely pieces!

Hope you've all been checking out the artist galleries as they go up, some very nice work! I hope we start seeing even more soon! There has been a tremendous response and we thank you all for joining and supporting this! :clap:

And really, we need you all to be active, participating members, we want to show the world just what a dedicated group of oil pastelists can accomplish when they speak as one voice!

eileenclaire
10-07-2004, 08:58 AM
It's wonderful to see so many oil pastelists joining up. The more members we have, the stronger our voice.

And please do send any news of your upcoming shows, exhibitions, or any awards you have won recently, as well as any tips or techniques you might want to share, to [email protected]

Any information about oil pastel workshops, or competitions that accept oil pastels, would be appreciated also.

Pat Isaac
10-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Hi all,

Make sure you check out the galleries of all the OP artists who have joined. The work is wonderful and diverse. :clap:

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
10-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Wow, every time I check there are more people!

Bumping this back up to the top - :wink2:

stonewhiteclown
10-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Greetings!

Hooray to the OPS and its new site :clap:

I will apply soon also, have been browsing through all my scans until decimated it to four, then realized I need five :rolleyes:

Dyin
10-07-2004, 02:45 PM
lol Alex! Am glad you will be joining too!

Dyin
10-08-2004, 10:45 AM
We're quite excited to see how many new members we're getting! I know many of you have offered to help out and the best way you can help right now is to be involved by communicating to us what you'd like to see the OPS do for you as a member. Send us letters with suggestions, send any news of interest to the newsletter, definately let any other oil pastel artists know about us. Continue to contact magazines, letting them know you're an interested OPS member who would like to see more oil pastel features.
Thanks to everyone for the great support!

BeckyMc
10-08-2004, 10:56 PM
Those of you who have already joined, please get your images and bios submitted, so I can post - thanks!

CarlyHardy
10-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Just a note to everyone....if you're applying as an Associate member, then you don't have to submit all five images right away. Submit as many as you want to submit....up to five :)

The gallery pages look wonderful!! Becky is doing an excellent job on keeping up with posting them to the site....thanks, Becky!! :clap:
carly

Dyin
10-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Yeah, Becky is doing a wonderful job!!!

eileenclaire
10-11-2004, 09:08 AM
By the way, do you have a favorite art quote? I see so many good ones on people's signature lines.

Please submit your favorite ones to [email protected]

I love to check out the site every few days just to see the new artist galleries that are up. Becky is doing an awesome job with that!!!!!! :clap:

Dyin
10-11-2004, 03:13 PM
Eileen, there are a lot of great art quotes on Robert Genn's site..the banner on our link page, that might help some!
All our galleries are looking wonderful, am looking forward to the day everyone has one! Great job, Becky and wonderful, wonderful OP work from our OPS members!!