PDA

View Full Version : Editorial cartoon supplies?

TikiTorch
10-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in this forum before but I'm hoping someone here will have knowledge in this area... Anyone know what most pen and ink style POLITICAL or EDITORIAL cartoonists are using for paper? I'd be interested to know what is used for preliminary drawings but most importantly what is used for finished work. If you know of suppliers of this type of paper please post. Also information about how these drawings go to print would be great too if anyone knows. Thanks to all who reply!
Lee

AFM159
10-04-2004, 05:22 PM
I'm sure Ted will come in and give you a more thourough answer, as he is a cartoonist, but to my knowledge just about every type of paper is used. Bristol board is probably the most common support used, it's durable, smooth, and holds ink well.

For prelims, I say, use whatever is comfortable for you. Same for your final drawing. For the most part all you have to have is a black and white image that can be scanned easily. More than likely you'll keep your originals and give the client digital copy.

TikiTorch
10-04-2004, 06:15 PM
I do hope Ted comes in with a response. Thanks for the information you have provided.
Lee

Silent Jaguar
10-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Various widths of Pigma Micron pens on bristol board (depending on my mood and subject the bristol board varies from regular or smooth surface). Pigma pens are waterproof. I use 005, 01, 03, 05 and 08. Thick lines and larger shading use 8, ultra fine lines and light shading use 005 or 01. My most used is 03. :)

For massive areas of black I use Higgins Calligraphy waterproof black ink, but the type of brush that is perfect for this application eludes me, which I'm hoping somebody knows the answer. :confused:

TedDawson
10-05-2004, 01:16 AM
You can get the smooth bristol in pads at any art shop or online at places like Dick Blick, Mister Art, etc. 500 series is the best, 300 is probably the easiest to buy at stores. And as I think I mentioned in another thread, a number of cartoonists are using coated copy paper or inkjet paper, many of which hold the ink very well.

For preliminary drawings, just whatever you're most comfortable with. Some use light tables, some doodle and then go directly to the drawing surface, some use blue non-repro pencils.

As for going to print, it's best to draw at around 150% of the reproduction size. When reduced, it'll smooth the line work. Watch out for very fine lines, though.

Best to scan as line art at around 800 dpi, 600 min. (Some cartoonists prefer to scan as greyscale at 1200 dpi. It requires a little bit of cleanup, but you'll get absolutely no jaggies when reducing.) After scanning, convert it to greyscale before reducing it to print size. You can then change the dpi to whatever line screen the newspaper uses. It ranges from 85 lines per inch to 120 lpi. The formula is DPI = LPI X 2. So if they print using a line screen of 85, drop the dpi to 170.

ALWAYS save the original high-res line art first. Hope this helps.

TikiTorch
10-06-2004, 01:16 AM
Thanks for posting Ted. I appreciate all of the detailed information. Thanks also Silent Jaguar.